Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:09:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Cryptonote's reputation (XMR/BBR/AEON) benefit from more real name usage?  (Read 301 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:04:49 PM

Back in the early days of Bitcoin, Mike Hearn proposed that users come out from behind their screen names so the public could see that actual people were involved in this project - some of them with serious reputation and accreditation. 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8954.0 

Now I recognize that many here would never agree to step outside their anonymity.  Monero's (and the other Cryptonote's) privacy was likely the reason they got into this particular brand crypto in the first place.  As well, I speculate we likely have some talent here that needs to stay out of the spotlight because of the unwanted attention their involvement might bring to our project. 

Nevertheless, some of us don't mind being public.  I would also reckon that many of us here are fairly well educated and upstanding citizens of the world (even if we are a little more open-minded than most).  But even if the person behind your account is unemployed, homeless, and living at a shelter, you are a real person that provides human authenticity to the project. 

When is it the right time for us to start considering such an idea?  Or are we heading into a world where a screen name actually matters *more* than a real name?   

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:16:40 PM

I agree that it can help in some cases such as:

1. Interviews with the media
2. Communicating with merchants who prefer to deal with a known person

Pseudo-anonymity is fine for most purposes. In the long run I expect we will have some people who choose to be publicly known, some who choose to be as anonymous as possible and many people in between.

So long as we have some people who are willing to reveal their identity (which we do) I do not see a problem if most of the community does not.

Each community member should decide the time-frame and appropriateness for revealing identity. In some cases by referencing a LinkedIn profile, the person may have an easier time raising XMR donations for a project. In other cases, a pseudonymous github profile, and reasonable benchmarks would work just fine.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: