Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:42:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoind (-reindex)  (Read 1328 times)
DesignDerby.co.uk (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 03:43:53 AM

I am setting up a script which requires me to have (txindex=1) in the bitcoin.conf, after attempting to launch with said rule in the config file it told me to;

You need to rebuilt the database using -reindex to change -txindex

I took a guess and ran "bitcoind -reindex", now am I right in saying its now downloading the blockchain files and such as my terminal has somewhat frozen, its still responsive its just say 'loading' I presume because it takes some time..

Now if I can remember my first ever experience with syncing a wallet it took a good amount of time therefore have I completed the above steps correctly. I am sorry if I have missed out on some 'key' information just ask if thats the case.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DesignDerby.co.uk (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 03:53:40 AM

https://i.gyazo.com/626bcff49c9fd93afb27652e04c73d3e.png

---

I re-ran the command with bitcoind -reindex -txindex -printconsole (or whatever it was) I guess I answered my own questions, it seems to be doing its thing.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 04:16:36 AM

Smiley

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 06:28:21 AM

- snip -
I took a guess and ran "bitcoind -reindex", now am I right in saying its now downloading the blockchain files
- snip -

No.  It should not be downloading the blockchain.  It should just be scanning through (and indexing) the contents of the blockchain that is already sitting on your computer.  It will take a while to scan and index the whole thing, but it shouldn't take as long as it took to download and process it in the beginning.
DesignDerby.co.uk (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 06:58:27 AM

- snip -
I took a guess and ran "bitcoind -reindex", now am I right in saying its now downloading the blockchain files
- snip -

No.  It should not be downloading the blockchain.  It should just be scanning through (and indexing) the contents of the blockchain that is already sitting on your computer.  It will take a while to scan and index the whole thing, but it shouldn't take as long as it took to download and process it in the beginning.

Firstly its a fresh install on my server, so I dont think I have ever 'downloaded' the blockchain before?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 07:57:42 AM

- snip -
- snip -

Firstly its a fresh install on my server, so I dont think I have ever 'downloaded' the blockchain before?

Sorry, that wasn't clear from your original post.

I thought you were turning txindex on in a wallet that was already synchronized. I guess I should have looked at the linked image in your later post.

In that case, yes, it should now be downloading and processing the entire 70 GB blockchain.  That will take a while to complete.

DesignDerby.co.uk (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 08:07:14 PM

- snip -
- snip -

Sorry, that wasn't clear from your original post.

I thought you were turning txindex on in a wallet that was already synchronized. I guess I should have looked at the linked image in your later post.

In that case, yes, it should now be downloading and processing the entire 70 GB blockchain.  That will take a while to complete.

Thanks for clearing that up, I had to upgrade my server a little going from 512mb ram to full wack 3GB Ram, 2TB Band, 250 HDD as quite stupidly it never dawned on me that the size of the blockchain was way way higher than my actual allocated space meaning the process f*cked up last night, had to restart it.

https://i.gyazo.com/e5413fbbde8353de38f0beda3b406668.png

Almost at 2015!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: