Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:19:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Made an open source tool to help automate wallet recovery. Works with btcrecover  (Read 759 times)
racezefi (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 04:16:17 AM

Hey guys!

Hope you like it. Open source and binaries available on github here:
https://github.com/PokerBeast/CryptoFinder/releases/tag/0.9-beta

Basically what it does is it helps recover any existing or deleted bitcoin wallet files on a partition in an automated fashion. Works with Armory, Multibit (HD and classic), Bitcoin-QT, Electrum and more. Searches using regex, file names and content. It allows to reconstruct a MultibitHD wallet with only a few of the wallet files, even if partially corrupted. Decided to make this tool after I had to help a friend recover a deleted Electrum wallet, which he didn't remember what it was named, nor the directory it was at (it wasn't %APPDATA%\electrum\wallets).

It's a work in progress, so any suggestions will be welcomed.
And yes, sadly it's only available for Windows. It's coded in C#, .NET 4.0. Might port it to java later.

Here's the readme:

CRYPTOFINDER

Bitcoin recovery tool. Supports all desktop wallets. It will work for most altcoins wallets, forked from the ones listed below.

Automatizes the process of searching for wallet files, both existing and deleted. Very simple to use and safe. Prevents the user from recovering to a folder on the same partition, if he's recovering deleted files. Works only on Windows and requires .NET 4.0 or above. Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Supports:

- Armory
- Bitcoin-QT
- Bither
- Copay
- Electrum
- mSIGNA
- Multibit
- MultibitHD

All files will be restored to a folder selected on the GUI. If you chose to recover deleted files, they'll be placed on a sub-folder called "RestoredTemp". Different sub-folders will be created per wallet. Files copied from already existing files will have the directory structure copied as well. Those recovered from deletion will not, due to a limitation of the file system. Those will be placed on a sub-folder called "recovered", under each wallet's folder.

While the program is working, it will appear to stop responding, that is normal. You can see the progress by looking at the files restored. Working on adding a GUI indicator of the progress.

I based the deleted file recovery work on this tool:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kickassundelete/

This is still a work in progress, the code isn't pretty and the GUI is worse, but it works.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:22:27 PM

Interesting software, pretty much automates pywallet's work, I guess... Any feedback from users here? Fortunately I have no use for this as of now Smiley
racezefi (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 04:16:45 PM

Interesting software, pretty much automates pywallet's work, I guess... Any feedback from users here? Fortunately I have no use for this as of now Smiley

Thank you!

The idea is to help non-technical users recover their coins if they delete the wallet or move them somehow to another folder and can't find them.
Obviously, they should have a backup of their seeds or key on paper somewhere. But my objective is to help when they haven't.

Right now, it solves a different problem than btcrecover, but there are clearly cases in which both functionality might be useful.
I'm working on adding a GUI for btcrecover, that will install all required prerequisites for it, request the user whichever passwords they remember and process away.

Basically, my idea is to make wallet recovery possible for someone non-technical.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: