Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:18:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EU is about to end bitcoin anonymity. Price reaction?  (Read 1657 times)
bitscointalker (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:32:01 AM

The EU’s executive body has promised new legislation in the Spring to make sure the exchanges and users of virtual currency platforms such as Bitcoin are identifiable and traceable.
Seems price of Bitcoin will fall down?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:57:18 AM

I don't have problems providing my ID when withdrawing to fiat but why would the price of bitcoin fall down this move will make bitcoin more legitimate across Europe and won't be associated only with shady deals over the Internet. I am only worried about paying taxes on cryptocurrencies.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:59:09 AM

The EU’s executive body has promised new legislation in the Spring to make sure the exchanges and users of virtual currency platforms such as Bitcoin are identifiable and traceable.

its all about the FIAT hoarding exchanges.
relax

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:12:15 AM

Time will show. But I don't think so. That can do what they want but there is no way of ensuring all users of Bitcoin is identifiable. They can do what they want with exchanges running in EU but they cannot control the Bitcoin network.

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:17:27 AM

I don't think this is as bad as everyone thinks, one of the things that is holding bitcoin back in my opinion from mainstream mass adoption is the fact that it is associated with a lot of dodgy dealings, I know myself when mentioning it and also when it has been in the news it is never as positive as it should be.

If that stigma of it being 'illegal' can be reduced or removed I would envision a lot more people taking it seriously as a real use currency.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:23:04 AM

Yeah I second that. If there is a way to trace back all the Bitcoin scammers the image of Bitcoin will be cleared and people will think of it as legitimate Internet money and not like thieves are out there to steal your cash every day because they can.

rally

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:23:38 AM

I think this is a good idea.
If something is legal , the better it is.
Price will not fall because of this i think.

rally

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:24:24 AM

From what source did you read this?
I think that is good news. Legal is better.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:24:39 AM

I don't think this is as bad as everyone thinks, one of the things that is holding bitcoin back in my opinion from mainstream mass adoption is the fact that it is associated with a lot of dodgy dealings, I know myself when mentioning it and also when it has been in the news it is never as positive as it should be.

If that stigma of it being 'illegal' can be reduced or removed I would envision a lot more people taking it seriously as a real use currency.
+1 shutting down non legit fiat hoarding websites that dont want to follow basic consumer protection rules will clean up bitcoin as a sideeffect.

having basement dwellers who hide behind proxies and hoard millions of euro's of customer funds, should never happen. especially letting them continue long enough to hoard enough to then make the gox/cryptsy claim of hacking.

we need legit and trusting third parties if normal folk are going to get into bitcoin

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cuidler

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:25:45 AM

So what difference from current situation? Because I had already send copy of my ID card to validate account at exchange. I worried my ID card could be misused if their database is hacked, but exchanges requesting ID card proofs already or you have to look elsewhere if your worried about someone else misusing your identity...

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:30:29 AM

So what difference from current situation? Because I had already send copy of my ID card to validate account at exchange. I worried my ID card could be misused if their database is hacked, but exchanges requesting ID card proofs already or you have to look elsewhere if your worried about someone else misusing your identity...

if the exchange is registered as a MSB (money service business) then it is asking for data for official reasons that are mandated by the rules of being a MSB.
if its not registered to any financial institution/agency, then who knows what they are doing with the data

target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:37:29 AM

Much as we'd enjoy seeing this news pull the price down, it seem like it didn't. Exchanges and cash out services are already asking IDs even before this news sprouted.
So i don't think this will affect the price as well. try again.  Grin

coldbound

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:39:04 AM

I don't expect any reaction.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:49:51 AM

My guess is that, since the EU is not about to end Bitcoin anonymity (how could they?) - there'll be no impact on price.

This space intentionally left blank.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:51:12 AM

My guess is that, since the EU is not about to end Bitcoin anonymity (how could they?) - there'll be no impact on price.

not to mention that the market right now it's not exactly populated by the so called average joe, but more by manipulators, and people that will buy bitcoin no matter what...
bitscointalker (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 12:58:10 PM

http://fortune.com/2016/02/03/bitcoin-europe-crackdown/
here is the source!
They say "Still, the Paris attacks last November created an atmosphere in which the European Commission must be seen to be doing what it can. For virtual currencies, this is the fallout."
I was wondering whether this could lower the price or increase it.
I do think as you but I was also thinking that anonymity is a plus too to increase the mass adoption of bitcoin, just like cash is for money (whether this is dodgy or not).
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:09:42 PM

not to mention that the market right now it's not exactly populated by the so called average joe, but more by manipulators, and people that will buy bitcoin no matter what...

It might even make Bitcoin a bit more popular by the average joe now Bitcoin is being "less anonymous" and thus less "shady". Their worry is that Bitcoin's "anonymity" is the reason why so many criminals are using it. Perhaps their view on this might change due to this "news". Who knows. Cheesy
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 03:31:19 PM

http://fortune.com/2016/02/03/bitcoin-europe-crackdown/
here is the source!
They say "Still, the Paris attacks last November created an atmosphere in which the European Commission must be seen to be doing what it can. For virtual currencies, this is the fallout."
I was wondering whether this could lower the price or increase it.
I do think as you but I was also thinking that anonymity is a plus too to increase the mass adoption of bitcoin, just like cash is for money (whether this is dodgy or not).

The EC is pushing for additional regulation for *exchanges*, Bitcoin anonymity is not under threat. The article is pretty dire (I've read worse though) but it does manage to qualify its breathless "bye bye Bitcoin anonymity" sound bite.

In general, if the EC says something and the media then say OMG EU BAN! - it's bollocks.

This space intentionally left blank.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 06:38:16 PM

By the sound of it you can't fart near a European exchange without having to provide evidence of the food that made the smell so not much is gonna change.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 06:50:37 PM

I think that price is almost always affected by negative news, so yes, I think this will make Bitcoin go somewhat. As others, I do not have problem in providing my info to withdraw to fiat either, or even to use some exchange, if that means protection later when the exchange falls.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: