Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:59:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments - San Jose, CA - May 17-19, 2013  (Read 17341 times)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:04:49 PM

The must see panel:
Issues of Regulatory Compliance

Hope it was recorded.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:20:28 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2013, 11:59:04 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The must see panel:

Hope it was recorded.

It was being recorded not sure how/when it will be made available.

I was surprised by the number of participants.  Has foundation stated how many tickets were sold?  My guesstimate is that is 300 to 500 but with so many simultaneous events going on it is hard to judge. Looks like it is a little more than 1,100 attendees.  So far a great conference, with great speakers, well worth the price of admission.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:27:30 PM

The must see panel:

Hope it was recorded.

I was surprised by the number of participants.  Has foundation stated how many tickets were sold?  My guesstimate is that is 300 to 500 but with some many simultaneous events going on it is hard to judge.  So far a great conference, with great speakers, well worth the price of admission.

Thanks - rub it in with salt.

ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:02:12 PM

The must see panel:

Hope it was recorded.

I was surprised by the number of participants.  Has foundation stated how many tickets were sold?  My guesstimate is that is 300 to 500 but with some many simultaneous events going on it is hard to judge.  So far a great conference, with great speakers, well worth the price of admission.

Thanks - rub it in with salt.

More than a thousand tickets were sold, reported during last night's keynote intro. The sessions did seem a little sparse this morning, outside of Gavin's State of the Coin address.
bobdude17

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:35:24 PM

I'm in the Bay Area, is this worth going to San Jose for if you are not going to spend the $300 to actually go in the event?

The $300 entrance fee actually makes it more of a Bitcoin elite/high society club. Why don't we "commoners" get together at Singlebarrel on San Salvador st Saturday night? If the lords & ladies of Bitcoin Abbey want to come too that's fine.

All right, I am going to try and head out there tonight and hopefully meet up with forum members(I'm not attending the convention).
Does Singlebarrel on San Salvador work for other people as well?
Where are you all going to be at?
DrQwe

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:46:38 PM

Could you make the hackathon free for established developers? Or maybe a discounted pass for it? I am concerned the bar for entry is too high and bitcoin is losing potential allies by pricing them out of the market.

I'm in the same hotel for another gathering (Nebula awards) and was pretty excited when I bumped into a fellow in the elevator who mentioned the bitcoin convention was going on in this building. I wanted to go check it out and see what was happening in the world of bitcoins with actual people instead of just online and maybe give me a reason to pull mine out of cold storage and re-engage with the community. My wife was also chatted up and invited over to the conference when it was clear she's learned enough from my ramblings to know what she is talking about with them. This morning I went over and checked out the programming and was even more excited about the hackathon. I'm a developer by trade who specializes in mobile payment systems with millions of retail dollars flowing through code I have written on the iPhone everyday. I am also an entrepreneur at heart and really do enjoy hackathons. I was also excited to see the trade show area but when I asked about abbreviated tickets, was told there was no way I could participate without paying the $350 entrance fee for a singe day. This is unfortnate for me because I only have a few hours before I have to go put on a tux and participate in a monkey show. It isn't going to be worth $350 to me to check out the companies here and/or try and find a project I'd be wiling to put some programming time into.

I'm a little disappointed that I can't participate at a level lower than $350 for a few hours and wonder how many other people in this tech heavy city are giving this con a pass because the entry bar is too high for an afternoon. I still have a couple hours to kill, so I think I'll go spend $20 and cruise the comic book convention (don't judge me, I am nerd through and through). It'll probably be a lot less interesting but the costumes should be a whole lot better. I do hope to participate in one of these in the future and enjoyed watching the tv interview of the big instant dude out front.

Also, if anyone wants to rent out their badge for an hour, let me know a price. I'll be around until tomorrow morning.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:49:21 PM

I'm in the Bay Area, is this worth going to San Jose for if you are not going to spend the $300 to actually go in the event?

The $300 entrance fee actually makes it more of a Bitcoin elite/high society club. Why don't we "commoners" get together at Singlebarrel on San Salvador st Saturday night? If the lords & ladies of Bitcoin Abbey want to come too that's fine.

All right, I am going to try and head out there tonight and hopefully meet up with forum members(I'm not attending the convention).
Does Singlebarrel on San Salvador work for other people as well?
Where are you all going to be at?

I had to work and couldn't get back to town in time but I do suggest Singlebarrel. They have the best drink menu in town. If you do go order the Penicillin. You won't be disappointed.

digitalmagus

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:40:20 PM

Greetings, I've been recording amateur videos of the conference as I go along. Professional videos should be out in a week or two by bitcoin foundation, but for those who couldn't make it, here's some shaky but watchable videos. I will keep uploading more over the next few days. Enjoy!
If you are feeling generous, please tip/thank me here:
185By4a1Lt2HnKLAKR5EmidZMYgp5D­DSaj

BITCOIN 2013 FUTURE OF PAYMENT VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/user/digitalmagus7/videos?flow=grid&view=0

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:08:30 PM

Greetings, I've been recording amateur videos of the conference as I go along. Professional videos should be out in a week or two by bitcoin foundation, but for those who couldn't make it, here's some shaky but watchable videos. I will keep uploading more over the next few days. Enjoy!
If you are feeling generous, please tip/thank me here:
185By4a1Lt2HnKLAKR5EmidZMYgp5D­DSaj

BITCOIN 2013 FUTURE OF PAYMENT VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/user/digitalmagus7/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Great videos, thanks for sharing. You really provide a feeling of being there. I was a little worried that someone would run you over when you crossed the street early with no sidewalk on the other side.  Shocked

ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:29:58 PM

Hey thanks for the vids!
majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:54:59 AM

Thanks for the videos!

Great job!

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:12:06 AM

They were interesting thank you

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:39:32 AM

This conference was definitely worth the price. So much material being covered.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:43:45 AM

The ability to hobnob with all those people you frequently irritate must have been priceless.lol

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:48:21 AM

The ability to hobnob with all those people you frequently irritate must have been priceless.lol

Lol well I had a shirt on that said "I am a smoothie". Didn't have any problems. The conf is too big for that stuff.

Very good turn out!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:52:30 AM

We debuted the trailer for our documentary today at the conference.  If you see us tomorrow, stop over and get a free t-shirt.  Smiley

http://player.vimeo.com/video/66482225

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:56:40 AM

We debuted the trailer for our documentary today at the conference.  If you see us tomorrow, stop over and get a free t-shirt.  Smiley

Cool!
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:59:38 AM

I didn't see your booth. Which is it next to?

I would like a free shirt.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:59:47 AM

Lol well I had a shirt on that said "I am a smoothie". Didn't have any problems. The conf is too big for that stuff.

Very good turn out!

Yeah, I crashed the event at the Hotel Kabuki in SF one year. They were well dressed in casual professional attire. I had on old jeans and a Bitcoin t-shirt. I looked like a hobo compared to them. lol

But they were all very nice.

bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:03:40 AM

It looks awesome! Looking forward to the release of the full version!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: