Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:15:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments - San Jose, CA - May 17-19, 2013  (Read 17341 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 06:45:17 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 06:37:21 AM by Rassah

For Mtgox it's a bit harder.

I remember MtGox used to pay Eligius pool directly for it to accept their free transactions. As in personal contract as opposed to mining fees. I don't know if that changed, whether they are using someone else, or if it stopped completely.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:49:30 PM

I was responding to: "the blockchain size will increase linearly".

I don't think there is sufficient consensus as to what will happen once the blocksize limit is removed. However the odds are very slim that it will remain a straight line.

The blockchain is not currently increasing in size linearly in a straight line, as you can see here:
http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

It is increasing exponentially because we are in the adoption stage where more users are added.  Once bitcoin reaches its potential market size, or once it hits a blocksize limit, the blockchain size will increase linearly.  We will never see sustained exponential growth in the number of monetary transactions that humans need to conduct.

Bitcoin merchant adoption and transaction fees have grown 1000% over last year, which is an extremely high rate that temporarily outpaces hard drive capacity growth, but this cannot be sustained very long.  Hard drive space and internet speed show no signs of slowing their exponential growth rates, so they will always outpace the bitcoin blockchain in the long run.  Exponential growth will always win out over linear growth.  People will be able to store the blockchain on their personal computers forever.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 06:43:59 AM

Some day I'd like to see accounting software that uses Bitcoin addresses for individual accounts, let's you book entrees and move money around all day internally off blockchain, then at the end of the day balance out all the transactions and post the resulting ending balance transfers to the blockchain. That would allow for a third party permanent public record to reconcile to, and would allow a company to run its accounting finances on the Bitcoin network without spamming it with transactions (you can do multiple transfers between multiple addresses in a single transaction). That may contribute to blockchain bloat a bit, but it the verifiable account entrees in the chain may be s service businesses would gladly pay for.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:19:31 AM

Some day I'd like to see accounting software that uses Bitcoin addresses for individual accounts, let's you book entrees and move money around all day internally off blockchain, then at the end of the day balance out all the transactions and post the resulting ending balance transfers to the blockchain. That would allow for a third party permanent public record to reconcile to, and would allow a company to run its accounting finances on the Bitcoin network without spamming it with transactions (you can do multiple transfers between multiple addresses in a single transaction). That may contribute to blockchain bloat a bit, but it the verifiable account entrees in the chain may be s service businesses would gladly pay for.

Yes. That's the sensible middle-ground which hopefully will be reached in the future. It reduces the problem of small transactions hitting the blockchain, but also keeps the blockchain open for all, instead of restricting it to bitcoin-banks similar to how the Fedwire system operates.

maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:21:41 AM

In practice that probably wouldn't bloat the UTXO set at all.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:31:52 AM

where are videos of Dan Kaminsky from the conference?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:15:10 AM

Someone kindly posted this recently:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219519.0

Kaminsky was on the security one (at least...that's the only one I saw live.)

After midnight when my bandwidth become free I'll watch some of the ones I missed in person.  Satellite connection.  Bummer because I just got bitcoind (along with openssl, boost, berkeleydb, etc) compiled and I would like to be running it to see how it does on a high latency connection.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Seth Otterstad

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:06:43 AM

What is Kaminsky's deal?  Saying there is a 0% chance for Proof-of-Work to survive the year?  Wtf?  He seems a bit misinformed about bitcoin mining.  He thought GPUs couldn't currently mine bitcoin profitably, and he also thought that one entity having over 50% of hash power would result in a bitcoin price of zero, which was obviously not the case when deepbit did it.  He also seems to believe that scrypt is ASIC-proof, which is not true.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:15:04 AM

What is Kaminsky's deal?  Saying there is a 0% chance for Proof-of-Work to survive the year?  Wtf?  He seems a bit misinformed about bitcoin mining.  He thought GPUs couldn't currently mine bitcoin profitably, and he also thought that one entity having over 50% of hash power would result in a bitcoin price of zero, which was obviously not the case when deepbit did it.  He also seems to believe that scrypt is ASIC-proof, which is not true.

Yeah I was puzzled by that as well.   None of the questioners asked him to clarify.  Of course most of the people lining up to "ask questions" are usually ones trying to push an agenda or make long monologs in the form of questions.   They already have their questions in mind before the panel start.

I wish he would clarify. I mean like it or not Bitcoin can't be changed.  It can be forked but barring a complete consensus of all users (not all miners or developers but all users) the existing network will continue to operate.  Nobody is going to get a consensus on moving from POW.  So not sure how he can be bullish on Bitcoin and at the same time say Bitcoin is dead unless it moves beyond POW.  If true (which I doubt) then Bitcoin is already dead and just doesn't know it.
Seth Otterstad

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:04:34 AM

I missed meeting you at the conference D&T!  My favorite way of reading this forum is by doing a search for your posts.  The general post quality has become so terrible recently compared to a year or two ago, I can't stand it.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:16:32 AM

I missed meeting you at the conference D&T!  My favorite way of reading this forum is by doing a search for your posts. ...

Jeez, what were you going to do if you met him?  Hump his leg?

...The general post quality has become so terrible recently compared to a year or two ago, I can't stand it.

Always happy to do my part.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:07:48 PM

He's way off.  Check out @dakami and @jgarzik twitter.  There is even a bet on the floor (that he's trying to back away from).

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:44:47 PM

Someone kindly posted this recently:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219519.0

Kaminsky was on the security one (at least...that's the only one I saw live.)

After midnight when my bandwidth become free I'll watch some of the ones I missed in person.  Satellite connection.  Bummer because I just got bitcoind (along with openssl, boost, berkeleydb, etc) compiled and I would like to be running it to see how it does on a high latency connection.

Cool. Thanks.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
Bush

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:46:19 PM

Great idea
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  All
  Print  

Jump to: