Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:37:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the biggest faults of BTC & how would you fix them?  (Read 1336 times)
ignitiondefect (OP)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:15:14 PM

Put another way, if you could go back in time to before BTC was launched and suggest changes to the original code to Satoshi Nakamoto, what would you suggest?
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:19:15 PM

1)  Block size.  Satoshi could have probably anticipated this, and he (or the team) should have written some code allowing an easy expansion through time...  Whatever developers "win" the block size tangle, please think ahead guys!

2)  Limited acceptance by merchants (the principal thing retarding BTC growth IMO).  I do not know how to fix this one.  Time and customer demand?

EDIT:

3)  It is HARD to buy Bitcoin, especially quietly.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:19:59 PM

Start off with smaller units. I know that's uncool but that's what human psychology is equipped to deal with. Put in some widget to kill off mining pools. Know how it was gonna scale. Get a professional PR agency.
simon66

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:24:40 PM

Mining pools and mega farms..

I think the code should have something to disincentivise the centralization of mining. I don't think rules that disallow it would be the answer. More like built in conditions that the free market will turn into decentralization rather than encourage centralization as it is.
ignitiondefect (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:23:15 PM

So why doesn't someone just create a new Bitcoin and just fix those things?
salinizm

Activity: 658
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:28:08 PM

Put another way, if you could go back in time to before BTC was launched and suggest changes to the original code to Satoshi Nakamoto, what would you suggest?

i would change block size no matter what the situations would be..

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
ignitiondefect (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:29:15 PM

Why?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 11:33:54 PM

1)  Block size.  Satoshi could have probably anticipated this, and he (or the team) should have written some code allowing an easy expansion through time...  Whatever developers "win" the block size tangle, please think ahead guys!
Wrong. This is not a fix and makes no sense from a technical perspective. If anything it could kill Bitcoin (if there were no infrastructural improvements).

2)  Limited acceptance by merchants (the principal thing retarding BTC growth IMO).  I do not know how to fix this one.  Time and customer demand?
This is not a flaw in Bitcoin.

3)  It is HARD to buy Bitcoin, especially quietly.
Neither is this.

I think the code should have something to disincentivise the centralization of mining. I don't think rules that disallow it would be the answer. More like built in conditions that the free market will turn into decentralization rather than encourage centralization as it is.
This makes sense. Centralization is indeed a problem, albeit nobody has a real solution for this. Incentives to run nodes would be also nice in order to relive the costs and promote decentralization.

Read the first part of my post.

Because they can't. Let me try to explain this somehow; people that don't have the sufficient knowledge and technical skills think that building a spaceship (where spaceship = solutions to all inherent problems that Bitcoin has) is as 'easy' as stacking a few blocks on-top of each other.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:34:29 PM

There are hundreds of people creating new coins. No one gives a shit about them. Why start from scratch and why should you trust it? In case you hadn't read anywhere else in the forum lately, attempting to change bitcoin itself seems to upset a lot of people.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 11:36:28 PM

There are hundreds of people creating new coins. No one gives a shit about them. Why start from scratch and why should you trust it? In case you hadn't read anywhere else in the forum lately, attempting to change bitcoin itself seems to upset a lot of people.
This is not the reason for which people ignore them. Most of these coins are either designed very poorly, offer nothing new, used to pump & dump, used to promote malware (i.e. they're trash-coins). Barely any of them have any features that would be worth looking into and possibly implementing into Bitcoin. You don't need to trust anyone if you can analyze the code; Bitcoin is trust-less and so is any fork of it that does not have malicious/weak code.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:42:29 PM

have you seen the reaction from the bitcoin community to any big changes that are required....?  can you imagine the reaction to suggesting a new bitcoin, plus people have to much invested in this bitcoin.  Bitcoin is open source by the way so anyone can suggest changes.....lol    "good luck with that"
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:42:39 PM

To make it anonymous, rather than pseudo-anonymous.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
ajun96

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 12:46:54 AM

c'mon it's already happening. do not dream of returning to the past, there is no time machine
satoshi Nakamoto. already made bitcoin very well, we have an appreciation that
Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 01:56:26 AM

I'll consider the blockchain size. I might tried to get an alternate way for the blockchain size. But i'm not a dev, so i really didn't get what's the alternative way

If someone create a new bitcoin, it'll be an Altcoin.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 03:41:11 AM

Take out all the irrelevant text message capabilities. They fill up blocks with rubbish, and nobody is going to take a money transfer service seriously if it is full of dog obituaries and wedding reports.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 04:49:34 AM

This. Maybe it is not a concern right now but it will be soon. Don't think Satoshi imagined that mining will become like this. But I don't think there is a solution to this now.

diodio5

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 05:24:55 AM

not that easy. bitcoin was at the heart of all users. many coins are to be like bitcoin, there is even more sophisticated, but they can never compete with bitcoin,
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:54:37 AM

not that easy. bitcoin was at the heart of all users. many coins are to be like bitcoin, there is even more sophisticated, but they can never compete with bitcoin,

Yes thats true as its the leader for the tech, others can just adopt it. I don't think much fault about bitcoin. It has got its existence and has been running long. The programming behind the technology feels to be difficult. One who have interest in writing codes its not a big deal. This can also be overcome by a a person if he has willingness to learn more about bitcoin

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 08:30:31 AM

the biggest faults is that bitcoin is less decentralized than what it was at the beginning, for mining maybe to avoid this, satoshi would have had to think about a algo change after each halving, to reduce the mining centralization

so asic would be less powerful and more gpu oriented farm would have emerge

also leaving 32mb block size, was not that catastrophic for today working, there is no real argument to sustain these all fud
elizabethqueen

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 09:23:47 AM

i am just amateur bitcoin,not an expert and just know little thing about bitcoin,so if you ask me like that,i can't suggest anything to Satoshi Nakamoto,bitcoin is perfect for me,even some transaction delay so long,i think its not happen many time.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: