Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat map 6 months  (Read 2820 times)
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:48:32 AM

Looking at this:

I can't help think that we just cleared the biggest resistance we will encounter until we hit the all time high.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:08:36 AM

Looking at this:

I can't help think that we just cleared the biggest resistance we will encounter until we hit the all time high.

Bingo.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:24:24 AM

Bingo.

I would hesitate at all-time high, but close to or pass 2012 is a distinct possibility.  I don't think anyone really predicted to see such resistance around $13.50 for so long and, now that the bulls are in charge (harhar), there's no reason to expect to see anything like it again in the immediate future.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 03:41:34 AM

Is it just me, or is it really looks like smaller version of May 2011 to Mar 2012?

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:06:32 AM

Is it just me, or is it really looks like smaller version of May 2011 to Mar 2012?

Echo bubble.  And once we climb over the top of it, the next stop is the top of the big guy.

robocoin

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:01:48 PM

I'm not getting off the excitement. It feels like a constant caffein overdose^^

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

Huh it looks nothing like the bubble.  We just sat in a stable plateau period that lasted half as long as the entire original bubble runup.  Nor does the runup match graphs of other bubbles.  Your fears are causing you to find a similarity where none exists.  Note, I'm not saying we won't go down.  But even if we dropped off a cliff tomorrow (which I think unlikely) the graph STILL would not match that of a bubble. 

Every time a price rises then falls does not make a "bubble".
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:00:24 PM

I think market depth has increased. Just look at the daily candles for 2011 versus 2012. The upside breakout from the consolidating triangle is encouraging as well.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:55:58 PM

can someone describe how to read that heat map?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:12:09 PM

"heat" is amount traded at the specific prices. Basically you can see the trade volume: the more yellow/red the area around the line is, the more coins changed hands at that price.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:42:08 AM

Huh it looks nothing like the bubble.  We just sat in a stable plateau period that lasted half as long as the entire original bubble runup.  Nor does the runup match graphs of other bubbles.  Your fears are causing you to find a similarity where none exists.  Note, I'm not saying we won't go down.  But even if we dropped off a cliff tomorrow (which I think unlikely) the graph STILL would not match that of a bubble. 

Every time the price goes exponential and then falls more than 5% is a bubble.  There was an echo bubble, but you are right that it is recovering much better this time because speculative bubbles can't harm a market with sound fundamentals other than in the short term.

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:31:39 AM

Every time the price goes exponential and then falls more than 5% is a bubble.  There was an echo bubble, but you are right that it is recovering much better this time because speculative bubbles can't harm a market with sound fundamentals other than in the short term.

I know I keep trying, but honestly - people really need to lay of the "bubble" term. A true bubble is when the price falls to the inception or zero. A large market fluctuation is not a bubble. The best chance of that occurring was when we spiked on the massive highs past 30. Since we did NOT go down to the starting price level of that massive move - it isn't a "bubble".

The past fluctuation courtesy of Mr. Arr-Matey-Scamerson wasn't a "bubble". We're above the price inception of that fluctuation. Was it a liquidation event? Most certainly, but the market recovered. Bubbles don't recover. If they did, we'd still be investing in Tulip Bulbs.

I'll keep repeating myself, eventually it will stick. Smiley

(Futures markets have blowoff moves that follow an exponential curve - they aren't a "bubble" either. If they were, then silver would be at zero, to pick an example.)

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 10:15:02 AM

Every time the price goes exponential and then falls more than 5% is a bubble.  There was an echo bubble, but you are right that it is recovering much better this time because speculative bubbles can't harm a market with sound fundamentals other than in the short term.

I know I keep trying, but honestly - people really need to lay of the "bubble" term. A true bubble is when the price falls to the inception or zero. A large market fluctuation is not a bubble. The best chance of that occurring was when we spiked on the massive highs past 30. Since we did NOT go down to the starting price level of that massive move - it isn't a "bubble".

The past fluctuation courtesy of Mr. Arr-Matey-Scamerson wasn't a "bubble". We're above the price inception of that fluctuation. Was it a liquidation event? Most certainly, but the market recovered. Bubbles don't recover. If they did, we'd still be investing in Tulip Bulbs.

I'll keep repeating myself, eventually it will stick. Smiley

(Futures markets have blowoff moves that follow an exponential curve - they aren't a "bubble" either. If they were, then silver would be at zero, to pick an example.)

Awesome!

Where can I get my free tulips?

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:08:34 PM

Awesome!

Do you know anyone investing in Tulip Bulbs expecting a return in yield?

(Rhetorical, of course.)

Again - the definition is "price returns to the start of the move or collapses to zero". Since it didn't collapse all the way to zero, you're free to buy all the Tulip Bulbs you'd like - but you'd be a complete fool expecting any return from your investment.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:17:18 PM

Awesome!

(Rhetorical, of course.)

Again - the definition is "price returns to the start of the move or collapses to zero". Since it didn't collapse all the way to zero, you're free to buy all the Tulip Bulbs you'd like - but you'd be a complete fool expecting any return from your investment.

Where are you getting that lame definition?

The wikipedia page[1] on an economic bubble has this to say: "trade in high volumes at prices that are considerably at variance with intrinsic values".  In other words, when the market becomes irrational, in either direction.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:42:08 PM

Every time the price goes exponential and then falls more than 5% is a bubble.  There was an echo bubble, but you are right that it is recovering much better this time because speculative bubbles can't harm a market with sound fundamentals other than in the short term.

Right.  So where's the exponential?  And not sure where you got that 5% number but I don't think many investors would call a 5% dip a bubble.  Maybe 50%... but 75-90% for sure.

The wikipedia page[1] on an economic bubble has this to say: "trade in high volumes at prices that are considerably at variance with intrinsic values".  In other words, when the market becomes irrational, in either direction.

This definition unfortunately refers to "intrinsic values" that can only be know after the event (if ever).  BTW I don't like the other definition either.

But very simply, if there were a bubble one effect would be that people would have been spending their xmas and ny vacations trying to GET bitcoins.  Bubble fever.  Instead we saw low volumes as people did rational things during the vacation (like take time off).

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

"heat" is amount traded at the specific prices. Basically you can see the trade volume: the more yellow/red the area around the line is, the more coins changed hands at that price.

Nonsense.
There is a very strong cumulative effect of surrounding trades.
When trades take place in the same price region the 'heat' starts to build up and radiate out.
This graph shows you where lots of trades didn't change the price by much.
That is what it means.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 07:48:26 PM

Right.  So where's the exponential?  And not sure where you got that 5% number but I don't think many investors would call a 5% dip a bubble.  Maybe 50%... but 75-90% for sure.

This definition unfortunately refers to "intrinsic values" that can only be know after the event (if ever).  BTW I don't like the other definition either.

But very simply, if there were a bubble one effect would be that people would have been spending their xmas and ny vacations trying to GET bitcoins.  Bubble fever.  Instead we saw low volumes as people did rational things during the vacation (like take time off).

I'm referring to the behavior in August, not this recent rise (yet).

Yes, intrinsic values are fuzzy, which is why I summarized it as "when the market becomes irrational".

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:17:00 PM

(Rhetorical, of course.)

You know, I'm just trying to help you out here. Go ahead, call 5% fluctuations "bubbles" all you want. My alias wasn't chosen at random, I know what I'm talking about.

Won't be me looking like a fool...

notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:17:32 PM

(Rhetorical, of course.)

You know, I'm just trying to help you out here. Go ahead, call 5% fluctuations "bubbles" all you want. My alias wasn't chosen at random, I know what I'm talking about.

Won't be me looking like a fool...

You're right about the 5% thing, I meant it in the context of a very short time frame, but I did not make that clear.  I'll still stick with the Wikipedia definition though, and not your bullshit about going to zero.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: