Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:04:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-01-08 oodaloop.com - Bitcoin: Today and Tomorrow  (Read 1332 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:00:43 AM

Bitcoin: Today and Tomorrow

Chandler Karadsheh
2013-01-08

http://www.oodaloop.com/business/opportunity/2013/01/08/bitcoin-today-and-tomorrow/

The Bitcoin endeavor is intriguing but, ultimately, unpractical. It is reasonable to expect that BTC usage will increase a moderate amount, especially among experienced Internet users. It is not, however, reasonable to assume that large amounts of people will suddenly or even slowly change from a tangible currency to a digital one.
Conceptual barriers aside, it is unlikely that the government will continue to allow BTC’s to operate on networks that facilitate the trade of illicit materials.
Criminal applications of protected BTC networks fall directly under national security concerns and will justify action from the government. Analysts expect that the government will either force some form of regulation on BTC or attempt to shut it down.

Conclusion

BTC will continue as a unique Internet phenomenon but its longevity is uncertain. For now, traditional monies still have the trust and familiarity that BTC would have to earn in order to supplant them. Assuredly, BTC’s have introduced a popular concept and done a good job in addressing evolving currency solutions. Nonetheless, it is doubtful that BTC’s will prompt any quick or permanent changes in mass currency usage.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

Damn, all this time I've been using it to improve my life and just now I find out it's 'unpractical', that really sucks.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:44:31 PM

Damn, all this time I've been using it to improve my life and just now I find out it's 'unpractical', that really sucks.

I just bought something from bitcoinstore.com with supreme ease, sucks that I didn't know it was 'unpractical' before I did so as well!

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

I plan to frame that quote by Chandler - "Nonetheless, it is doubtful that BTC’s will prompt any quick or permanent changes in mass currency usage." It seems he's had his "Dewey Defeats Truman" moment.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Deweytruman12.jpg

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:07:20 PM

Stopped after reading this sentence:

Newcomers to the Bitcoin program are given a small percentage of a Bitcoin as a welcome gift.

Memo to Satoshi: I still haven't received my gift.  Please send ASAP.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:23:59 PM

What a fail article

fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:05:30 AM

As a strategic intelligence analyst and border patrol alert expert,  it seems the author completely missed out the only thing he could like about bitcoin.  The blockchain holds the complete transaction history of every transaction.  If someone could link that up with the huge Navy/NSA/Chinese Censor/etc packet sniffers and databases that link ip address to subversives, then that someone could have a real time status report of the entire illegal goings on in the bitcoin community.  I just wish that whoever talked to the author had pushed the right buttons for a positive relevant article.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 04:43:55 AM

I look forward to the government trying to shut it down... probably the best thing that could happen for bitcoin. 

All the governments wouldn't do it at the same time...

Some governments have already said Bitcoin is fine...

if they try to "shut it down" it'll only legitimize it's existence.  Win win.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:47:22 AM

Stopped after reading this sentence:

Newcomers to the Bitcoin program are given a small percentage of a Bitcoin as a welcome gift.

Memo to Satoshi: I still haven't received my gift.  Please send ASAP.

Autofail analyst. Said analyst need to go to back to school so he does not autofail like a typical journalist again.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:15:08 PM

I know that among things users fear about bitcoin, is that the government or banks could shut it down. However, when I read articles and papers coming from the banking industry and government mouthpieces, I'm leaning more towards the opinion that these people have no idea how hard the bitcoin freight train is going to hit them.

Honestly, they can't seem to wrap their heads around the entire concept - and that goes for elected officials and perhaps even certain three letter agencies. Banks in general have their eye on bitcoin, but I think the only thing they "get" about it is the nearly-zero fees for making transfers.

In any case, I expect bitcoin to eat both their lunches, metaphorically.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:25:27 PM

The general public will embrace bitcoin when they notice that prices for goods in USD continue to creep up, while their prices in BTC are creeping down.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: