Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:14:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you use your real name, if ever?  (Read 1428 times)
Ironhead (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:05:02 AM

Can any senior users say whether you're ever supposed to use your real name in this forum?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:36:29 AM

Can any senior users say whether you're ever supposed to use your real name in this forum?
Up to you. If you browse the forum, you'll notice lots of real-sounding names. If you do some research, you'll notice that some of these are real.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:53:43 AM

It seems to me that a lot of the company owners use their real names to provide an extra sense of security to people using their services.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:55:08 AM

P2P trade would warrant some real ID, especially where substantial value is concerned. Usually done in the form of PM or email as to not give it away in public.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:36:00 AM

What makes any one name any more real than any other?
Wardenconner

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:33:13 AM

I think everyone should proudly use their name if they dont have intentions for Scam or hack or ddoing something illegal
agita

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:38:18 AM

if I would do a regular buisness here, I would post my real name
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 06:58:24 PM

I've done plenty of trading here. If I buy something, I give people my first name/last initial along with my address to ship me my purchase.

For any loans that I've done, I've given people my full name.

It's really up to the situation. I'm not gonna put my full name in my sig, but sometimes a name is needed to show a level of trust for a deal to go through.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:10:16 PM

What makes any one name any more real than any other?

a court order

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 07:38:10 PM

I do not use my real name, I however have done nothing to hide it.. and should the internet police target me Im sure my identity would be "out there" in a matter of minutes.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:56:36 PM

I use my full name when it comes to sending/receiving purposes and only my first name when I communicate for escrow services

Pardo

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:13:08 PM

I think it's not wise to use your real name.
If you ever post a BTC address, anyone can know how many bitcoins were moved from/to that address, and by following up your posts possibly get an idea about how much money in BTC you move. Then nowadays it's pretty easy to find more about you on facebook/web.
You should not leave that personal information available to anyone.
MineForeman.com
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 08:50:34 PM

I am always very suspicious of anyone who guards their identity too much, it makes me think they are up to something (google Pirate@40 & Trendon Shavers if you want an example).

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 09:02:05 PM

It's a difficult one, there are no written rules at all on whether you should or shouldn't use a real name but the problem with the internet is whatever you say or do is publicly broadcast across the world, you certainly have to think every time you post somewhere that you're on national television so if you do something that makes you popular etc. what you're going to say will get you noticed. It sounds paranoid but honestly I've had some weird moments with people on the internet so you do have to be careful with what you post.

Don't be like those poor idiots who post their entire information on facebook etc. where you've had several hundred people coming to their parties and stuff because they've forgotten to make sure the message is private, I'm okay about people searching up this username etc. and in fact it helps me because I want to be known so people will be interested in any work I do but if you want to stay hidden just be careful. The worst part is when you've got all these damn companies trying to data farm you and demand all sorts of real information about you even if their products are only digital, I suppose it's for tax information and everything but its well known that a lot of these internet companies are selling it off to third parties like marketing companies etc.

The short version of it is, if you value your privacy on this username, don't post anything real about you and only give information to people you can 100% trust, if you can't trust them, don't do it, if a disaster happens then thankfully you can always make up a new username and it's dead easy to register again on the free email addresses. This is why it can also be extremely easy to scam people on the internet but considering what can happen to the poor folk who post their real information up internet privacy is something we should all fight tooth and nail for because I don't want to end up stalked and stabbed by someone just for pissing them off at the wrong time.

I am always very suspicious of anyone who guards their identity too much, it makes me think they are up to something (google Pirate@40 & Trendon Shavers if you want an example).

Don't you think people like Satoshi Nakamoto has a good reason to stay hidden? Just for inventing Bitcoin he probably already has several agencies on his tail or at least monitoring him. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he's stopped being active, seems paranoid I know but there are simpler cases I can show you why people keep their identities hidden, like children for example, even governments agree they should keep under age people out of the public eye Tongue
Phalanx

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:16:29 PM

In my opinion, you should try to "dox" yourself and usernames (or aliases that you use). Get a few friends to do the same for you. If you are an honest and "good" person, (not going to scam blah blah, going to be legit and not illegal) then some personal information could be released. In my experience having a list of aliases and/or emails will be far worse for you than having a name or a general location posted. The way I see this is, if you post your current real information, generally people can and will find your present "doings" and if you post anything besides that (or have accessible) then people will be able to find your history. (Both potentially "dangerous" in their own ways)
Trust = Trust : If you give out information and trust others with it, you will most likely get some trust back.
Risk = Return : Risking nothing will get you no where. (Opposite: Risking something can get you somewhere)

TLDR --> Your own choice 100% what you give out and when you give out information. Just know the consequences and potential "harm" that could come your way from releasing information.

---This is all my own opinions! Take what I have said as you please. Cheers!---
Donatus

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:22:37 PM

I tend to not use my real name on forums, just in case a flamewar gets out hand, but all of my other activities in the "bitcoin world" are done in my real name.   As a software developer, I'm a professional and my reputation is part of my identity.

--D
Coco888

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:21:37 AM

I will never use my true name on this forum.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 08:53:54 AM

I havent done anything illegal nor do i intend too so Im not worried, but as personal belief i would rather stay anonymous but because identity online is kinda important and needed in some ares such as loans on this site or on facebook which i forced by family memebr to have an account.

And the shitty thing is though I was young when the internet was young so my information has already been passed around more times then my best friends mom who would always treat us to dennys in the morning after the navy came into port the night before.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:57:51 AM

I use my real name... everywhere... I guess there is no username I could think of that is as fulfilling to use as my real name... So there's that.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 09:35:36 AM

I was amazed (and still am) at the number of people that trust anonymous nicks so when I opened a mining pool I put my name and business details in the first post.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: