Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:44:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit sent more BTC than I entered!  (Read 1037 times)
beeteecee (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 07:10:01 AM

Has anybody seen this before?

I had 33 BTC in my wallet and I sent 8 BTC with Multibit. The client shows the current balance of 25 BTC, which is correct. However, The Blockchain shows that I only have 20 BTC in my final balance! And it shows that I sent 8 BTC to one address and almost 5 BTC to another address in the same transaction. How is that possible?

What can it be? Anyone?

Thanks
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:30:47 AM

You are witnessing how Bitcoin works. The 5 btc was the change from an original ~13 BTC input. When bitcoins are spent, it's really previously received transaction outputs that are spent. Inputs to the new transaction are chosen until they total or exceed the amount you want to send and change is sent back to another address you control.
beeteecee (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 07:35:30 AM

Wow, I guess it was false alarm. I've used Multibit for some time now but never seen this occur before. I just checked it, it it really was sent to another Multibit address of mine (which I've never used, that's why I got frustrated).

Thanks for the explanation, I'm relieved!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 10:23:06 AM

Hi beeteecee,

As weex explained, it is your change being sent back to you.
You can see more details about the transaction (including the address of the change) if you right click on the transaction in the Transactions tab and do 'Show more details...'.
The change address is shown in the 'Raw Transaction' section near the bottom.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:57:22 PM

your client will now have 2 addresses(technically always had). one with 20BTC and the other with 5BTC

imagine u received 13btc gold bar from someone and you put it into your left trouser(the client) pocket. it isnt split into satoshi gold dust within your trouser pocket to then send out exact amounts alone. it splits it up when you make a transaction. so the blockchain shows you removed the 13btc gold bar from your pocket. cut the 13btc gold bar so that 8 went to the destination and 5 went back to you, but in your right trouser pocket this time.

as long as your trousers(the client) shows the right amount you are fine. you could always send the 25btc (20 gold bar and 5 gold bar) to your main wallet address(left pocket) for it to show 25 in the one address. but you will get the same thing happening when you next do a transaction to third parties. which will just weigh you down and leave you lop sided (tiresome exercise) if you keep trying to put it all into one pocket all the time.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: