Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:27:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat Output of a Mining Rig  (Read 1370 times)
SparkyU (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:16:47 AM

I have a 1500w oil heater I use to keep a spare room warm in the winter.  I was wondering if it would make sense to just replace it altogether with an equivalent wattage mining rig?  I'm not sure how much heat a rig of that scope would put out, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any data if it's comparable?  If it's somewhat in the neighborhood then a bit of the money spent on electricity could be earned back instead of just letting it go to waste with a oil heater.  Thoughts?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kotarius

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 03:45:10 AM

All power usage of all computer hardware is entropic.

To have an equivalent of a 1500W heater, you would need a mining rig that uses 1500W (or two that use 750W each).
AlphaSun

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 10:03:14 AM

You can mine Ethereum or other coins with a mining rig using 6-8 GPUs. But that will be noisy. It is only good for winter.
XERES

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 04:35:41 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2016, 08:20:45 AM by XERES

I Have 3 GAW Furies running in a windowed room over night. They are running with 3 other computers which are all on idle.
Upon entering the room in the morning i would say its around 4-5 degrees hotter than the other rooms.
Using a miner with a bigger power requirement would increase the temperature of your room much like a heater.
I would recommend an Antminer s7
EDIT (s7)

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 08:04:46 AM

There never was an Antminer S6.

While the heat output of a miner isn't equal to the electric input, it's close enough it MIGHT AS WELL be the same for practical purposes.

3 Antminer S5 would be a bit more than your 1500 watts, but if you downclock them a bit....

This is one way to achieve "effectively" free electricity, as long as you need the heat.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
SparkyU (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 10:06:23 PM

All power usage of all computer hardware is entropic.

To have an equivalent of a 1500W heater, you would need a mining rig that uses 1500W (or two that use 750W each).

So you're saying the heat output would be equivalent as far as keeping a room warm goes?

While the heat output of a miner isn't equal to the electric input, it's close enough it MIGHT AS WELL be the same for practical purposes.

3 Antminer S5 would be a bit more than your 1500 watts, but if you downclock them a bit....

This is one way to achieve "effectively" free electricity, as long as you need the heat.

I assumed as much, thank you for the confirmation and feedback everyone.  Looks like a swap to a miner instead of generic electric heater isn't such a bad idea.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:04:02 AM

So you're saying the heat output would be equivalent as far as keeping a room warm goes?

Pretty much. You might lose a watt, but more likely milliwatts, in usefull work done communication with your ISP that doesn't turn into heat in your home somewhere.

You'll never notice the difference.

(excessively picky mode disabled)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
RustyNoman

Activity: 189

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:50:10 AM

When you have the miner to generate heat in winter, will you turn off the miner in summer? It might not ROI.
Grout

Activity: 139

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 10:21:02 PM

As said above, so much of the rig's power use ends up in heat that you can consider a 100% transformation. I had one of my rigs in my bedroom for a while and it heated it fine.
The main issues to consider are the noise and light. Poorly built GPUs can make a lot of noise when running at full speed (I won't even talk about ASICs!). A blinking ethernet light can also be really annoying.
SparkyU (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 12:29:46 AM

When you have the miner to generate heat in winter, will you turn off the miner in summer? It might not ROI.
Yeah I plan to turn it off in the summer, but it's not that big of a deal.  We have fairly long winters here.  As long as nothing explodes on the rig it should be worthwhile money wise if it runs for a few years.  I'm kind of just thinking about doing it for the fun of it, not really expecting to become rich or anything.

A blinking ethernet light can also be really annoying.

I've subdued many a blinking light with black electrical tape over the years. lol

Ossidalm

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 10:31:45 AM

As said above, so much of the rig's power use ends up in heat that you can consider a 100% transformation. I had one of my rigs in my bedroom for a while and it heated it fine.
The main issues to consider are the noise and light. Poorly built GPUs can make a lot of noise when running at full speed (I won't even talk about ASICs!). A blinking ethernet light can also be really annoying.

You can cover the LED if you wish. I think the noise problem is a big one. It is not feasible to mine in summer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: