Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:22:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is PoS what Bitcoin needs? Is Smart Contract ability what it needs?  (Read 1345 times)
crazyivan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 07:05:17 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2016, 10:24:52 AM by crazyivan

Hey guys,

I think we all agree crypto and generally the entire IT industry is all about innovation. New ideas of how to do everyday stuff better is what drives the entire industry moving.

On the other hand, we have BTC, which was a great an innovative idea once it was introduced. However, now, I feel it s lagging behind some other coins which constantly innovate. The entire concept of PoW mining s been obsolete, expensive, ineffective and driven towards large farms. Small home miners are almost out of the picture. I personally use a few PoS coins, DMD Diamond, for example, which generates 25% annual PoS interest rate and has brought me nothing but profits for the last 2 years. Bitcoin does not have PoS and some people argue it should never innovate in that way. Smart contracts option which Ether s about to bring or Factom blockchain data storing option are more examples of great innovations. BTC will not have any of these.

Is the fact it came first to the crypto scene really that important to keep BTC sitting on the throne in the future? I think it need to innovate and do it fast.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:44:12 AM

no, because the value it's actually backed by miners, since they will do everything to maintain the value at certain level(minimum level), so they can profit

the fact that there is a huge need of energy to run the entire network, it's a good thing, It is the guarantee that bitcoin will survive
bearex

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:00:41 AM

You are right, the new coins have much advantages, only thing that is better in Bitcoin is, that it is the ONLY cryptocurrency that is reasonably widely known. Thats why it is so popular.
virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1093

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:14:44 AM

No, I don't think BTC needs POS or contracts... it is good like it is.

1 BTC = 1 BTC
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:28:04 AM

It is an well known fact that "change is the only constant" and no new technology can survive without continuous augmentation and innovation. It's true that now we have so many advanced altcoins in the market, but being a pioneer, bitcoin is most popular coin.

So if a change/addition of technology in bitcoin can help it survive and thrive, I will welcome it!

bitcoinear

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:45:25 AM

POS could always be a good option when the maximal amount of coins (or at least close to maximal amount) has been reached.
Smart Contracts can also be solved by sidechains like Counterparty for instance.
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 09:55:42 AM

I don't think that it adding PoS is a good idea. First, having some money freely will devaluate his price. Finally, having PoS will encourage people to don't use their coin, what we don't want.
crazyivan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 10:23:56 AM

I don't think that it adding PoS is a good idea. First, having some money freely will devaluate his price. Finally, having PoS will encourage people to don't use their coin, what we don't want.

I disagree, I think PoS is much more advanced and efficient form of "mining". Also, people lots of people tend to hoard coins anyway.

However, the point of this thread is not about PoS, it s about the need for BTC to innovate or not.

cryptonit
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1053

bit.diamonds | uNiq.diamonds

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 10:29:46 AM

DMD was mainly POW with just 1% POS for hybrid security too at its beginning

but it was changed the opposite way around to be POS the main coin rollout methode and POW just the hybrid security addition

instead of a race for new mining gear that lose earning power in a few months u create demand for coins

because coins is equal to earning power

so mining like BTC is dump at least for the electricity a part of income at markets and create sellpressure

i think BTC with a similar coin rollout setup as DMD would be already 10000 $ a piece

people interested in the income generated by holding coins but not interested in the hassle that mining have attached would push BTC price high

but as long as changes are voted by miners sign blocks

do u think bitcoin will get any changes that weakens the power of the guys who produce and sell mining gear over bitcoin?

bitmain for example

produce mining hardware

sell mininghardware

run cloudmining business

and vote for the future of bitcoin with his enormous hashrate

guess what kind of future is interesting to them and similar companies

Diamond [DMD]     uNiq.Diamonds  
Scarce✦✦✦✦ Valuable ✦✦✦✦ Secure ✦                     ▬ a collector experience ▬                
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 10:34:47 AM

Hey guys,

I think we all agree crypto and generally the entire IT industry is all about innovation. New ideas of how to do everyday stuff better is what drives the entire industry moving.

On the other hand, we have BTC, which was a great an innovative idea once it was introduced. However, now, I feel it s lagging behind some other coins which constantly innovate. The entire concept of PoW mining s been obsolete, expensive, ineffective and driven towards large farms. Small home miners are almost out of the picture. I personally use a few PoS coins, DMD Diamond, for example, which generates 25% annual PoS interest rate and has brought me nothing but profits for the last 2 years. Bitcoin does not have PoS and some people argue it should never innovate in that way. Smart contracts option which Ether s about to bring or Factom blockchain data storing option are more examples of great innovations. BTC will not have any of these.

Is the fact it came first to the crypto scene really that important to keep BTC sitting on the throne in the future? I think it need to innovate and do it fast.

POS by itself is something I'm totally against. POS main meaning is: you have money? Here is even more money! One interesting of btc aspect was that you couldn't just create it without effort, owning btc was not similar to earning it.

But I agree on the fact that BTC is not really innovative! When you see how problematic the size issue is, you can wonder what will make btc survive other coins with incredible dev team really fast to react :/

shveicar
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1013

DMD info: https://diamond-info.github.io/

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 10:37:04 AM

I am confident that the Bitcoin will not be any major changes.
This is an old and heavy coin with tightly in it ingrown specific Asic chips and different contradictory community.
Ongoing debates about the block size and the absence of agreement on this issue well demonstrated it.
Some alternative coins, on the other hand are more active and rapidly improving for taking all the best, and using the time-tested technical innovations.
So Bitcoin price growth will gradually slow down (in spite of the decrease awards in the coming time).
A qualitative altcoin with active communities will only get more expensive.

Diamond The best investment in your future! ✧ it's 35% POS and 65% Msternode ✧
Laosai

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 11:06:54 AM

This is an old and heavy coin with tightly in it ingrown specific Asic chips and different contradictory community.
Ongoing debates about the block size and the absence of agreement on this issue well demonstrated it.
Some alternative coins, on the other hand are more active and rapidly improving for taking all the best, and using the time-tested technical innovations.
So Bitcoin price growth will gradually slow down (in spite of the decrease awards in the coming time).

Damn what you're saying is really frightening :/
(at least for someone not having investment in altcoins and all in btc)

There is one point you don't consider though. Size issu isn't a direct threat.
It's more about long term effect, or at least mid term. So the actors don't HAVE TO agree on something quick.

But considering the number of actors, and the amount of investments in the btc field, I doubt they would let the currency sink...

But just in case, you have an alt to suggest  I should take a look to? Grin

shveicar
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1013

DMD info: https://diamond-info.github.io/

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 11:15:24 AM

Damn what you're saying is really frightening :/
(at least for someone not having investment in altcoins and all in btc)

There is one point you don't consider though. Size issu isn't a direct threat.
It's more about long term effect, or at least mid term. So the actors don't HAVE TO agree on something quick.

But considering the number of actors, and the amount of investments in the btc field, I doubt they would let the currency sink...

But just in case, you have an alt to suggest  I should take a look to? Grin

At the moment I have two main asset is the Diamond and Worldcoin.
DMD is a good investment coins and WDC in the future will replace place LTC as fast and convenient coins for instant payment services and shops.

Diamond The best investment in your future! ✧ it's 35% POS and 65% Msternode ✧
cryptonit
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:08:40 PM

after all its a bitcoin discussion here

and i would love to be able place more of my cryptocoin investments into bitcoin
when i see that it changes away from the path to be a money printing maschine for mining hardware producer and reseller
i can reconsider BTC as a main part of crypto portfolio
for now im sorry BTC only play a trading token role
to store value in bitcoin is far to unproductive in my opinion

its no longer the potential x100 coin it was years ago

and if a x2 make u happy than u dont see the full potential of cryptobusiness
left and right of bitcoin

if cryptocoin is wild wild west
and bitcoin was first and placed his claims and builded a big ranch
then there are much other coins that heading far more west and seek to claim there lands there

from bitcoin u can expect slow grow
but no positive surprises

its no longer on the frontier including all the chances and riscs there

Scarce✦✦✦✦ Valuable ✦✦✦✦ Secure ✦                     ▬ a collector experience ▬                
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 02:18:50 PM

If miners set the price of Bitcoin, it would be over £1 million, It's the investors and consumers that create demand, and demand drives the price (supply modifies it of course). PoS would be good to underpin the value of the sidechains pegged to the Bitcoin Blockchain. As the main blockchain becomes increasingly cluttered, the consumer growth will lie in the sidechains.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
crazyivan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 07:50:13 AM

Hey guys,

POS by itself is something I'm totally against. POS main meaning is: you have money? Here is even more money! One interesting of btc aspect was that you couldn't just create it without effort, owning btc was not similar to earning it.

But I agree on the fact that BTC is not really innovative! When you see how problematic the size issue is, you can wonder what will make btc survive other coins with incredible dev team really fast to react :/

How is this different from PoW mining? If you have money, you buy miners, invest into cloud but it all comes down to ability to invest and invest smart. Watching these alts growing, I seriously think there will be time when BTC s going to become second best. Look at LTC, it was number 2, heir to the throne couple years back and they failed to innovate. Is it really number 2 now? I d have my money on Ether or Factom anytime over LTC.

cryptonit
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 02:59:36 PM

pure POS is not the way to go

there must be a coin rollout part that allow earn coins without have coins forst

thats why i think a POW/POS hybrid is the best combination where at start of coinrollout POW is main coin creation source and POS addon for hybrid security

and later on it switches POS is main coin rollout source and POW is addon or hybrid security

regarding inflation effect is no difference between POS and POW both create new coins

in a endstage of a limited coin supply coin it will stay POW/POW but created blocks only earn tx fees

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 04:21:23 PM

Changing to PoS or hybrid would require a hard fork. All proposing a change to PoW or the 21 million total cap would do is piss off holders. Investors have been upset enough with the hard fork wars. What bitcoin needs is stability and less strife if we want to see price over $500 this year. Arguing for a change to PoS was a tactic luke-jr used to scare miners from changing from Core to Classic.

miayama

Activity: 358

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 04:34:12 PM

Smart contract can be useful to Bitcoin. Bitcoin can be used as a fuel (gas). But it does not have to be integrated into Bitcoin protocol.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 04:41:16 PM

You are right, the new coins have much advantages, only thing that is better in Bitcoin is, that it is the ONLY cryptocurrency that is reasonably widely known. Thats why it is so popular.
They don't have any real advantages. You guys are drinking the trashcoin kool-aid. If they had desirable features, they would be implemented in Bitcoin already. Besides, 99% of those coins are based off of Bitcoin. If their developers had significant engineering skills (which they don't) they'd design a coin from scratch.

Changing to PoS or hybrid would require a hard fork. All proposing a change to PoW or the 21 million total cap would do is piss off holders.
PoS/hybrid is useless. As soon as someone messes around with something fundamental as that (or the number of coins) Bitcoin will collapse.

If miners set the price of Bitcoin, it would be over £1 million, It's the investors and consumers that create demand, and demand drives the price (supply modifies it of course).
People with money aren't interested in altcoins and most likely never will be.

At the moment I have two main asset is the Diamond and Worldcoin.
DMD is a good investment coins and WDC in the future will replace place LTC as fast and convenient coins for instant payment services and shops.
Both are useless. You're in the wrong section.

If anything Bitcoin will either explode or die. It will not gradually slow down and your precious altcoins won't take off. Most of the people involved with altcoins are just trying to profit because they missed their chance with Bitcoin.

Should I remind you guys that this is Bitcoin Discussion and not Scamcointalk?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: