Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is PoS what Bitcoin needs? Is Smart Contract ability what it needs?  (Read 1343 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:47:25 PM

PoS has been academically shown to be insecure for a global cryptocurrency.  Read the papers by Andrew polestra.

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyivan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 08:27:25 AM

Ok, if not PoS, what then? You cannot tell me Bitcoin s fine as it is and it will be fine 5 years from now when most of new coins bring really useful improvements. Innovations is the key, always been and always will be.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 08:29:17 AM

You cannot tell me Bitcoin s fine as it is and it will be fine 5 years from now when most of new coins bring really useful improvements. Innovations is the key, always been and always will be.
I've yet to see a single one actually. What you think are "useful improvements" might be very subjective.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:19:33 AM

You cannot tell me Bitcoin s fine as it is and it will be fine 5 years from now when most of new coins bring really useful improvements. Innovations is the key, always been and always will be.
I've yet to see a single one actually. What you think are "useful improvements" might be very subjective.

well mini blockchain is a nice feature, that was brought up by cryptonite
miayama

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:32:58 AM

well mini blockchain is a nice feature, that was brought up by cryptonite

A coin called Boolberry (BBR) also has pruned blockchain. The size is much smaller than the full chain.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 11:39:28 AM

A coin called Boolberry (BBR) also has pruned blockchain. The size is much smaller than the full chain.
Bitcoin Core 0.12 has pruning. Next suggestion? As I've already stated, desirable features will be implemented in Bitcoin if they're deemed worthy enough.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
miayama

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:42:16 AM

Bitcoin Core 0.12 has pruning. Next suggestion? As I've already stated, desirable features will be implemented in Bitcoin if they're deemed worthy enough.

When the BBR had the pruning, we could not synchronize from the block 0, we had to download a pruned blockchain data and synchronize from that point on and prune automatically.

Is that the same in Bitcoin?
crazyivan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:27:18 AM

How does that work in practice? Blockchain s going to be smaller? How is that achieved?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 06:53:50 AM

Ok, if not PoS, what then? You cannot tell me Bitcoin s fine as it is and it will be fine 5 years from now when most of new coins bring really useful improvements. Innovations is the key, always been and always will be.

PoS is suggested as an alternative to mining. The other alternative is the increased use of sidechains to support transactions in local communities or industries. A sidechain for gambling and one for faucets would be useful additions to the Bitcoin environment, as they would remove a lot of micro-transactions from the main blockchain.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 08:28:17 AM

How does that work in practice? Blockchain s going to be smaller? How is that achieved?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/33qv3a/pruning_support_what_is_it_and_where_might_it/

it is akin to segwit, they do a bit of order with the trasaction, by removing them and increase the space

i can't find much but i believe that mini blockchain is different than pruning, while achieving the same thing
miayama

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 10:25:23 AM

PoS is suggested as an alternative to mining. The other alternative is the increased use of sidechains to support transactions in local communities or industries. A sidechain for gambling and one for faucets would be useful additions to the Bitcoin environment, as they would remove a lot of micro-transactions from the main blockchain.

I like the side chain idea. But how is that maintained? Do you need PoW to support it? Is that centralized?
Shrinath

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:22:24 AM

According to me if a change/addition of technology in bitcoin can help it survive and thrive, I will welcome it! However, it is an well known fact that "change is the only constant" and no new technology can survive without continuous augmentation and innovation. It's true that now we have so many advanced altcoins in the market, but being a pioneer, bitcoin is most popular coin. Again, bitcoin needs is stability and less strife if we want to see price over $500 this year. Arguing for a change to PoS was a tactic luke-jr used to scare miners from changing from Core to Classic. Changing to PoS or hybrid would require a hard fork. All proposing a change to PoW or the 21 million total cap would do is piss off holders. Investors have been upset enough with the hard fork wars.
Monyong

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:15:01 PM

I totally agree, one of the better things in Bitcoin is, that it is crypto that is just enough known and has many advantages, That is why it is so popular.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: