Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:18:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this purchase worth it?  (Read 844 times)
Phalanx (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:43:38 PM

Hello all! I know I am new but looking for some decent discussion and opinions. Smiley

I am living in residence at university. I get a very high down/up (I know this means pretty much nothing), I also get "free" water and electricity. My current rig will bring in approx. $3.5 CAD or USD per week in my current pool. (Around 200-400 Mhash/s)

Specs of my current mining computer:
sabertooth 990fx (motherboard)
16gb DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence (RAM)
1100T AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 (CPU)
Radeon HD 6950 2 GB (Graphics Card)

PSU and Harddrive and MISC is not going to be listed unless requested.

Finally here is my question!
I am looking into purchasing the ASIC (butterflylabs) BitForce Jalapeno. Is it worth it? Would this be worth adding to my rig? I use this computer for multiple things. I do however have other PCs and laptops but this is my main gaming computer (nothing too intensive anymore) and "social" computer. What is your thoughts? Smiley How long do you think it would take before I would see my return from this ASIC investment? What do you think my approx. weekly gain in Bitcoins or USD/CAD would be? I live in Canada so purchasing this would cost approx. BTC12.07 or $163 USD/CAD (this includes even shipping).

Thanks guys! Im excited to see some responses!
--Cheers!--

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 09:55:49 PM

I wouldn't mine Bitcoins purely for profit because it just isn't consistently profitable like real work would be if you look at the general math and I wouldn't get ASIC's until they're actually released because the pre-orders seem like a scam to me and the reasoning behind it all is a bit flimsy in my view. If you're going to get into Bitcoin, have an alternative plan so make sure you can use the computer for something else other than mining because otherwise you'll just waist money, it looks like a pretty acceptable gaming computer as well as other things though.
Phalanx (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:23:30 PM

Im currently mining it for the sake of mining it (but I know my stats and general "income." However if I put a purchase of $160 straight for bitcoin mining I would like to see that return, as im sure you'd know. Smiley Thanks for the input mate! It was a solid gaming computer (purchased all the parts and built it over a year ago so its starting to lack) and am interested in throwing more into it.
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 10:28:38 PM

You'll have to decide for yourself if the ASIC is a scam or not.  I have three BFL ASIC Single SC on order and will be mining for profit.  I have $3,900 invested.

I am basing my estimates on a hash rate of 250 TH/s.  I should be making roughly 90 BTC a month.  Assuming that the BTC / USD drops as expected I'll be earning about $900 USD per month.  However, I'll hold that until it comes back up to the $13/BTC over the next few months.  Initially my earnings will be more than 90 BTC as the Hash rate grows to 250 TH.  Then as it surpasses the 250 TH I'll make less.  By then I should have enough BTC to add one or two Single SC to my set up.

I figure once I pay off the units, everything else is gravy.  If I can reinvest into the rig, its all the better.  Something to consider with BFL, their equipment has a buy back program of 100%.  My two FPGA Singles are being bought back at 100%.  So as long as they have a 100% buy back, if I decide to get out of mining, I can sell my ASIC for their original value.  If I want to move them quickly I could still likely get 90% easy.

There is a lot of risk, with all of this.  You have to decide if you can stomach it.  There are already too many people that invested in the ASIC and are freaking out about delays.  No that things are up in the air for now and its all a risk.  If it pays off, well then there is money to be made.  I"m not talking about giant pots of gold, but there is some money to be made.  In the mean time there is money to be lost, if ASIC doesn't happen.

That said when the 250 TH/s second point is reached your current mining rig will generate about 1/10 of the BTC,  and given a possible drop in BTC conversion the value will drop more.  

My new rig will mine at 180 GH/s and I will make 90 BTC / month at 250 TH/s.  So if you mine with 4.5 GH/s at the same you can expect to make about 2.25 BTC per month with a single jalapeno.

I hope this helps.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Phalanx (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:38:07 PM

According to your calculations (which I love the in-depth look btw) it will take around 6 months (all depending and variable) to make back the money I put down on it. Which isn't OVERLY bad but it isn't an incentive to jump on the wagon yet in my opinion as I can easily lose more than I am gaining, with expected little return if all goes well :3. Especially being a University student with lots of loans taken out and a bunch of debt.. I don't think I could comfortably say eh lets throw $160 at this (a good week of drinking!) and see if its legit.

Thanks again!
--Cheers-
Pardo

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

If you want to stick with mining you will have to upgrade, GPUs will soon become obsolete for this activity.
The good thing about these devices is they are very energy efficient (watch this Cheesy), so I'm pretty sure you will do better than what you are doing right now.
I'd personally try to afford at least a Single SC or a couple of jallies, but that's a personal decision.
Shintax

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:22:07 PM

In my opinion, the jalapeno is just not worth it unless your trying to top off a Single with an extra 4.5gh. Just going off of the Bitcoin Mining Profitability Calculator, I could probably make $30 a month (if Im lucky) and I have solar panels on my roof to cover energy costs. So I think I am going to save the $650 for a Little Single and maybe down the line if everything is peachy purchase the Single. Just my newb 2 coins.

▀  ███       LEDGER  WALLET   PROTECT  YOUR  BITCOINS
▀  ▀▀▀       Smartcard security for your bitcoins        Decentralized,Open,Secure         Available now  []
▀  ▀  ▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:55:32 AM

If you don't already have a standing pre-order, wait for them to come out. The first ones with orders in, will be the first shipped, and they will be the ones to make a killing on mining with ASIC. That $160 Jalapeno will be just like a $160 7770 now, making pennies/day and decreasing. You may never recoup initial investment.
I promise that in the first hundred pre-orders, there will be many, many, many Th/s added to the global hashrate making it difficult for the later orders to make money.

Pardo

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:16:54 AM

If you don't already have a standing pre-order, wait for them to come out. The first ones with orders in, will be the first shipped, and they will be the ones to make a killing on mining with ASIC. That $160 Jalapeno will be just like a $160 7770 now, making pennies/day and decreasing. You may never recoup initial investment.
I promise that in the first hundred pre-orders, there will be many, many, many Th/s added to the global hashrate making it difficult for the later orders to make money.
I think you're wrong. The time to recoup the investment will be the same whether he goes for a jally, a little single or a single. The prices of the products are pretty much proportional to the Hashing power you get.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:45:52 AM

I think you're wrong. The time to recoup the investment will be the same whether he goes for a jally, a little single or a single. The prices of the products are pretty much proportional to the Hashing power you get.

I agree on the scale of investment compared to ROI, I'm meaning the amount of orders in front of an order placed today as opposed to 5/6 months ago when pre-orders were announced. The hashrate could double by the time his unit ships...
There are some very large miners that got on the list on day 1. If they get theirs, potentially doubling (or more) the difficulty by the time he gets his, he'll be in a bit of a bind.

dgballer

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:39:20 AM

I wouldn't follow through with it!
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 08:41:56 AM

Honestly, if you want to do mining, go and get a pickaxe and head off to Africa or Brazil for a holiday lol Tongue you'll get a better return than frying your graphics cards Bitcoin mining all you need for that is good eyes and a basic knowledge of rocks and how minerals form.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: