Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7970 OC Help  (Read 1543 times)
pieman103021 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:42:30 AM

Hello! I decided to OC my PowerColor 7970 Ref beyond the 1125 max of afterburner. So I unlocked it and set it all up. When I went to overclock it, I immediately set it back to 1125. Before I even got to running kombustor I had artifacts. not even like lines on the screen. It literally looked like there was a mini earthquake in my monitor. After more testing, I realized any change does it, even lowering the clock. This never happened before I unlocked it. Also there is coil whine which I never experienced before.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pieman103021 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:45:45 AM

Update: I am getting this also when I am scrolling on a webpage with no overclock. If I try to run kombustor my drivers crash then recover. Any help?
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:08:32 AM

Reboot your machine. I get this on my HDTV once I change my clocks from the default. If it still persists, then somehow the clock speed is "locked" with your driver settings. I don't know where this setting is, but found fully uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and using driver sweeper in between will get rid of the "bad" clock speeds.

Btw this happens to me on a radeon 5870

pieman103021 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:50:20 AM

Reboot your machine. I get this on my HDTV once I change my clocks from the default. If it still persists, then somehow the clock speed is "locked" with your driver settings. I don't know where this setting is, but found fully uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and using driver sweeper in between will get rid of the "bad" clock speeds.

Thank you.
I forgot to update this thread, but I already solved this problem. It is a 7970 thing I believe. I just had to do /xcl in the properties of the shortcut and reboot my system. Currently doing 1135MHz on stock clocks, won't be downclocking memory because this is mostly a gaming rig Cheesy
nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:55:21 AM

Thank you.
I forgot to update this thread, but I already solved this problem. It is a 7970 thing I believe. I just had to do /xcl in the properties of the shortcut and reboot my system. Currently doing 1135MHz on stock clocks, won't be downclocking memory because this is mostly a gaming rig Cheesy

I have a pair of 7970s not crossfired so I only use one to game on. I've underclocked the memory to 850 MHz which lets me undervolt the cards quite a bit and I haven't really noticed any decrease in performance while gaming. I play pretty new games that should push the card too, so you could give underclocking the memory a try to give you more headroom to push the core clock or to undervolt your card and save a bit on electricity. Just a thought.
cmg5461

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:16:14 AM

flash it to the ghz bios

http://www.overclock.net/t/1281425/amd-release-hd-7970-ghz-bios-upgrade-for-reference-hd-7970/270

it makes it easier

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 09:15:18 AM

Thank you.

Will adding /xcl keep things from getting screwy when I unlock voltage control with AB ?

Like this ?
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe/xcl"

pieman103021 (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 01:08:53 PM

I have been having trouble with ab so I am using ccc to over clock.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: