Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:27:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal's "New Money" Compaign - 2016 Super Bowl Commercial  (Read 2134 times)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:31:46 PM

Great commercial!! Too bad BTC seems to be run by a bunch of neckbearded anarcho-hippies, I can't imagine something as good as this commercial being created any time soon in this community.

Also very smart to rebrand themselves as 'money', while they are only a payment provider. They're doing what the BTC community is not doing, looking at what works well elswhere. What they are using is that in crypto, ppl love to gloat about how much better their crypto is then dirty old fiat. And then using that for their own glory. Good thinking. The BTC community could try and copy what is good about Paypal (there surely is a reason why millions of people use it) instead of trying to ridicule it, but I guess that's not the neckbear anarcho-hippie thing to do.
The reason I do not have a PayPal account is not because I'm a hippie(I'm not), It's because PP is expensive, unsafe to use, and a stupid idea. It's a suckers service. I send thousands of dollars around the world for pennies. I NEVER use payment systems that tie my identity to my money. If you knew more about money I suspect you would understand this also.

Depends on how you obtain those bitcoins you are sending across the world for pennies... If you have to buy them, like a lot of people have to do (whether that's because of lack of knowledge or lack of funds to start mining) then your identity is in fact tied to your new money... You have to pay through your bank, which has all the info in the world about you and your identity.  If some clever person where to really want to get your identity if he/she realizes that you paid for your bitcoins, then theoretically it could be done.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:40:24 PM

Great commercial!! Too bad BTC seems to be run by a bunch of neckbearded anarcho-hippies, I can't imagine something as good as this commercial being created any time soon in this community.

Also very smart to rebrand themselves as 'money', while they are only a payment provider. They're doing what the BTC community is not doing, looking at what works well elswhere. What they are using is that in crypto, ppl love to gloat about how much better their crypto is then dirty old fiat. And then using that for their own glory. Good thinking. The BTC community could try and copy what is good about Paypal (there surely is a reason why millions of people use it) instead of trying to ridicule it, but I guess that's not the neckbear anarcho-hippie thing to do.
The reason I do not have a PayPal account is not because I'm a hippie(I'm not), It's because PP is expensive, unsafe to use, and a stupid idea. It's a suckers service. I send thousands of dollars around the world for pennies. I NEVER use payment systems that tie my identity to my money. If you knew more about money I suspect you would understand this also.

Depends on how you obtain those bitcoins you are sending across the world for pennies... If you have to buy them, like a lot of people have to do (whether that's because of lack of knowledge or lack of funds to start mining) then your identity is in fact tied to your new money... You have to pay through your bank, which has all the info in the world about you and your identity.  If some clever person where to really want to get your identity if he/she realizes that you paid for your bitcoins, then theoretically it could be done.

It's impossible to not have your identity tied to your Bitcoin if you buy them, maybe unless you want to go and meet in person the guy selling you the Bitcoin, but that's too annoying, and also there are cameras everywhere. If you want real anonymity you need to work for your Bitcoin, and get paid on it in a job that doesn't require you to share identity, for example sig campaigns, but too bad it pays too little, so im talking more productive jobs.

And even then, you are limited to small purchases, if you want to buy anything irrelevant you need to get your stuff taxed, cause you can't buy a car or a house and pretend that you are going to be OK if the goverment doesn't know that you own said properties, so it's pretty pointless unless you want to buy smaller stuff.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:46:27 PM

You sure sound like a hippie tho, with this "I don't want to tie my identity to my money" BS. Good luck with that in life.

I do understand that Paypal is not the best option for ordering coke on the Outlaw market. That's what BTC is for. For everything else, Paypal is free (for me as a consumer), convenient and very safe. Been using it for years and years, never a problem. In fact, purchases are insured. I don't have to worry about malevolent sellers or failing postal services. Much safer then BTC.

But then again, that's logical, because Paypal is a payment provider. They live off of providing services making payment easier and more safe. They're not money. But as you know so much about money, I guess you had already figured that, right?

Edit: sorry for being impolite. Worked too hard and slept too little.
I am on my third debit card in 12 months. And that is despite the fact that I do not use it online. With bitcoin I have never lost a penny and I can buy what I want. I don't need a nanny to Shepard me through a purchase, harvesting my data and money along the way. Best of all, 12 months ago my BTC were worth about $240 each.

You say you don't have to pay? Where did you get that Idea? They are a business and of course you will pay. For example I recently bought a gun from here: http://shop.centraltexasgunworks.com/
Because I pay in cash (bitcoin is cash) I receive a 3% discount. That 3% in credit card fees must be passed on to the customer as businesses are not a charity operation.
Last year I was buying a lot of gold and once again saved hundreds of dollars. They are out of big bars right now, but look at how to save $38 per oz.
https://www.amagimetals.com/gold/bars/gold-elemetal-bar

You may find people who agree with you about PP and MC/Visa. But It ain't gona be me. I have done very well with bitcoin and have saved thousands of dollars in fees and gained a great deal of wealth. As someone who has owned businesses for over 25 years I am quite certain it is the right choice for me.
Depends on how you obtain those bitcoins you are sending across the world for pennies... If you have to buy them, like a lot of people have to do (whether that's because of lack of knowledge or lack of funds to start mining) then your identity is in fact tied to your new money... You have to pay through your bank, which has all the info in the world about you and your identity.  If some clever person where to really want to get your identity if he/she realizes that you paid for your bitcoins, then theoretically it could be done.

I am not concerned about a crook stealing my identity, it's my money that an identity thief wants. I once gave out my Overstock password and login. People were free to see what I had bought and what was in my basket, but without any credit card info they could not steal from me. Can I see your Amazon account? Also, if I wanted to I could pay in a way that no one would ever be able to link to me.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
chennan
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 07:06:25 PM

-snip-

I am not concerned about a crook stealing my identity, it's my money that an identity thief wants. I once gave out my Overstock password and login. People were free to see what I had bought and what was in my basket, but without any credit card info they could not steal from me. Can I see your Amazon account? Also, if I wanted to I could pay in a way that no one would ever be able to link to me.

I don't know if I read this correctly... but you wouldn't mind if a crook stole your identity?? Really?  I value my privacy, and that doesn't mean that I'm doing anything bad or illegal... it's just that my business is my business...

I don't have an Amazon account, and even if I did I would never give it out to anyone. I guess it's just more of a philosophical aspect of thinking, rather than rational.

Also, I saw that you posted a link to amagi metals... I thought there was some sort of scam associated with them?  I was looking at buying some silver and gold, but was looking at other websites.  What's your take on their website?

mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 07:30:30 PM

What in the name are you all babbling about? I respect my privacy? Tying identity to money? You should tie your identity to money, you should be responsible, even more if you are running a business. All you anarcho fatsos will end up in jail once any government loses its patience and declare Bitcoin illegal. Dear god, I now understand why Bitcoin will never shake its bad image.

Privacy is an illusion, for Bitcoin to achieve what you want first you need to overthrown your government, is that simple. No privacy is need in terms of payments except the obvious ones, banks balances, etc, that's why I've never have a problem with Paypal, Credit Cards or Banks. I pay my taxes and I don't have anything to hide, that's the bottomline. No bank ever robbed me one single cent, if you guys got a loan at a ridiculous rate then you are the ones to blame.

Bitcoin's potential and disruptive concept (mostly the blockchain) is another theme altogether and we can agree on that but trying to maintain privacy by sending money has only one purpose, illegal stuff, and that's all fine but don't expect to Bitcoin and other bullshit coins like that get adopted anytime soon. Nobody wants to get scammed and I personally prefer to conduct business with real people not masks. Paypal and Credit Cards offer refunds, just letting you know that.
chennan
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

What in the name are you all babbling about? I respect my privacy? Tying identity to money? You should tie your identity to money, you should be responsible, even more if you are running a business. All you anarcho fatsos will end up in jail once any government loses its patience and declare Bitcoin illegal. Dear god, I now understand why Bitcoin will never shake its bad image.

Privacy is an illusion, for Bitcoin to achieve what you want first you need to overthrown your government, is that simple. No privacy is need in terms of payments except the obvious ones, banks balances, etc, that's why I've never have a problem with Paypal, Credit Cards or Banks. I pay my taxes and I don't have anything to hide, that's the bottomline. No bank ever robbed me one single cent, if you guys got a loan at a ridiculous rate then you are the ones to blame.

Bitcoin's potential and disruptive concept (mostly the blockchain) is another theme altogether and we can agree on that but trying to maintain privacy by sending money has only one purpose, illegal stuff, and that's all fine but don't expect to Bitcoin and other bullshit coins like that get adopted anytime soon. Nobody wants to get scammed and I personally prefer to conduct business with real people not masks. Paypal and Credit Cards offer refunds, just letting you know that.

lol... yeah, you are right about the times we live in.  Privacy is most definitely an illusion, and people don't really care.  And I am in no way shape or form some anarchist or believe we should just free for all it.  But think about it, if you want bitcoin to become the next "payment system" then your boss will pay you in bitcoin.  Then he could essentially track where you spend that money at all times... is that right? Well I guess you can decide that for yourself.  But I would rather have my money private and between the people I do business with.

If you want to learn more about how I personally feel (which you probably don't, because you are so content with 'I'm not doing anything wrong' mindset) then you can watch this.

https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters?language=en

Everyone should value their own personal space and privacy... I think that this goes into finances too. (at least for me)

mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 08:14:17 PM

lol... yeah, you are right about the times we live in.  Privacy is most definitely an illusion, and people don't really care.  And I am in no way shape or form some anarchist or believe we should just free for all it.  But think about it, if you want bitcoin to become the next "payment system" then your boss will pay you in bitcoin.  Then he could essentially track where you spend that money at all times... is that right? Well I guess you can decide that for yourself.  But I would rather have my money private and between the people I do business with.

If you want to learn more about how I personally feel (which you probably don't, because you are so content with 'I'm not doing anything wrong' mindset) then you can watch this.

https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters?language=en

Everyone should value their own personal space and privacy... I think that this goes into finances too. (at least for me)

I do value my privacy, it should be protected but it's not on your control. What do you want? to overthrown your government then? They have infinite data, any government, they track you down if you don't pay taxes for example. You are audited if you run a business. Bitcoin is a pipe dream and I don't understand how it's not have been banned yet, perhaps because they don't want to create a bigger problem, but I'm sure they at least considered doing so. And like I said, Paypal, CCs, Banks never revealed my identity as far as I know, at least not worst than the government which actual "owns" me. I can ask for support to them if some scammer runs with my money. Too much privacy leaves you completely vulnerable to the dangers of this world, one cannot make it alone.

I swear people in this forum seems so naive that half of them must be teens. I'm not talking about you though but it's increible the blind replies from Bitcoin's "fanboys". And I repeat I'm not bashing BTC, we are all part of this community one way or another and what Bitcoin actually needs is criticism from us to grow. We all know what outsiders think about it and it's ugly.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 08:57:42 PM

-snip-

I don't know if I read this correctly... but you wouldn't mind if a crook stole your identity?? Really?  I value my privacy, and that doesn't mean that I'm doing anything bad or illegal... it's just that my business is my business...
Identity theft is about money not identity. The point of spoofing an identity is almost always about getting credit in that name. I'll tell anyone my identity, but I will not give out everything that is needed to steal my money. Which is exactly what you do when you buy something on the internet with a credit card or PP.
I don't have an Amazon account, and even if I did I would never give it out to anyone. I guess it's just more of a philosophical aspect of thinking, rather than rational.
If you did have an Amazon account and I wanted your money then I would just target that website, or any website you use. That gives me many targets and many systems each with vulnerabilities. I know you would not give your credentials away, you can't. But I CAN give mine away because there is no Name + card number + exp. date + secret  Roll Eyes CVV number.

As someone who "values their privacy" it's weird that you go around giving out this information to people you don't even know. The website employees, the payment processor and their employees, anyone who breaks into that site... Hell, the Chinese government may have a copy of your card. 

Also, I saw that you posted a link to amagi metals... I thought there was some sort of scam associated with them?  I was looking at buying some silver and gold, but was looking at other websites.  What's your take on their website?

I have had good luck with them. They have at times been a little slow.
They are now under new management and a couple of months ago I bought an Oz. to see how they operate. It shipped right away and I have no complaints.
I don't remember a scam, but their initial slowness probably bothered a lot of people. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:31:34 PM

If you ask me, PayPal is more scammy then BTC anyway. Just ask how many people here will accept PayPal payments for their BTC. I send you BTC and that's it, you send me PayPal and bam, you complain to PP of fraud and now you have both my BTC and your Paypal money.

This isn't limited to just BTC transactions either, just try selling on something on eBay and if the buyer complains it is almost always reversed to them. This is a one way street for the most part. I am not saying buyers can't be scammed by sellers as well, but I wouldn't consider thinking of accepting PayPal as my only payment source, and certainly not as new money. Just another form of Visa/MasterCard for the most part, complete with the 3% transaction fees.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: