Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:42:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Satoshi worked for the NSA/GCHQ [Just for fun]  (Read 619 times)
pbleak (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 06:28:30 PM

Has anyone discussed the possibility that Satoshi was a GCHQ (or NSA, etc.) agent before? It has sometimes been said that whomever developed Bitcoin's code was either a genius or part of a team. Now, whilst we have candidates amongst the cypherpunks none have admitted to it and most other leads have dried up.

Now, assuming that someone would be capable of developing Bitcoin they would have to be an exceptional capable programmer, a cryptographer and expert  in operational security. In the latter instance, this means the ability to hide one's identity to an "unbreakable" standard. Thus far, Satoshi not only managed to do this - even registering domains, etc. - but seems to obfuscate his identity using differing spellings. When he disappeared he actually did it (leaving aside the I am not Dorian message).

Furthermore, Satoshi was able to pre-empt or predict a number of problems raised by a list populated by the world's nerdiest cryptographers. It is possible that this would require awareness of potential problems above and beyond what most are exposed to (the kind of information one might have access to with a few security clearances, but possibly as a contractor).

Now, where I find this interesting beyond the basics is that in order to *profit* from Bitcoin whilst maintaining the idea of disappearing, though he clearly kept track of the news due to his 'I am not Dorian' post, Satoshi would have needed to find a means of looking as if he had just left all his coins untouched whilst going after all the coins that were now on the exchanges or darknet markets (all the time mining, perhaps, though this would not look if he were found).

Hence, a skilled intelligence analyst could wait to see Bitcoin succeed and then, familiar with exploits in Tor or malleability attacks (in advance), could raid Mt. Gox, Silk Road, and so on. If Satoshi was known internally as a skilled investigator perhaps he might even have been an agent assigned not to the NSA but the FBI or was in contact with them (or aware of what they could do) and so was able to investigate his very own crimes, as we have seen happen already.

Now, why would he leave all those coins at the start? Well, for one, at the time when he bails Satoshi could have maybe changed some of his coins to fiat, but that is risky to his identity. Further, he could have killed the price by cashing in. Leaving them alone was maybe the price of business. Perhaps he had wanted to get them until...

Satoshi leaves just as Wikileaks heat hits Bitcoin. Perhaps he has been testing targets like Mt. Gox just to see how it would go. But now with this kind of heat he has to rethink his approach and get completely out of the picture. From his distant position he can dip in where he wants...using his exceptional skills to raid a pot or two.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
supergenics

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 04:06:25 AM

We should stop trying to find Satoshi- this will only cause more trouble to people e.g Dorian Nakamoto and Craig Steven Wright.
Krayshock

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 04:18:40 AM

Maybe Bitcoin is one of the ways NSA wants to keep track of people and what they do. Who knows?
Well, it doesn't really matter. If this is a part of the NWO (conspiracy theorists unite), this is the best thing yet.
For now, I want not to think about NSA or GCHQ or something, but I just want to commend Satoshi for doing a great job in developing Bitcoin.

❰❰ OPHION ❱❱▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨ A SECURE, ANONYMOUS & DECENTRALIZED MARKET ▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨❰❰ OPHION ❱❱
TRADE GOODS OR SERVICES ■NO LOGGING - AT ALL■ 2 OF 3 MULTISIG AUTOMATION ■SELLER/BUYER RATING SYSTEM■ AND MANY MORE
❰❰▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❰❰ JOIN THE CROWDSALE ❱❱▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❱❱
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 07:59:05 AM

I'm more worried that Gavin works for the NSA. Undecided
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 09:46:54 AM

Maybe Bitcoin is one of the ways NSA wants to keep track of people and what they do. Who knows?
Well, it doesn't really matter. If this is a part of the NWO (conspiracy theorists unite), this is the best thing yet.

The possibility that Satoshi was actually a well-placed establishment insider is reasonably likely, but the evidence for that is all completely circumstantial. No direct evidence for that exists, as the OP demonstrates, the tracks have been very carefully buried over.

But when you look at the broad facts surrounding the technology that went into Bitcoin, fairly significant establishment figures were well aware of the possibilities of cryptographic hash chains or internet based cash systems, and all long long before the 2008 white paper. You could argue that this information was available to anyone, but I would posit the following:

• 1. Military/intelligence research labs will have conducted at least some experimentation into this overall field, you can pretty much take that as a given
  • 2. Some self-directed geek, using entirely their own resources, came up with a Bitcoin-like system first
  • 3. An ostensible Satoshi was working on such trials, and was inspired by the work to create Bitcoin

On a range of probabilities, 1 is a great deal more likely than 2 or 3. I wouldn't rule out 2 completely, but if 3 is the genuine truth, Satoshi should be either dead or in jail now (and made an example of, publicly).

You may ask, "If military/intelligence research produced Bitcoin, why would they release it to the public at all? Why upset the financial/economic order for the sake of publishing an experiment, many of which are classified anyway?". The answer is first-mover advantage. While the creator of Bitcoin could not help but recognise it's highly disruptive nature, they would also be very aware of the perceived risks of allowing "just anybody" to lead this kind of innovation. After all, communities with cypherpunk skills/credentials (e.g. Adam Back or Hal Finney) existed almost since the internet began, this would only provide further impetus for military/intelligence led experiments of the same nature.

Vires in numeris
Krayshock

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 04:12:00 PM

The possibility that Satoshi was actually a well-placed establishment insider is reasonably likely, but the evidence for that is all completely circumstantial. No direct evidence for that exists, as the OP demonstrates, the tracks have been very carefully buried over.

But when you look at the broad facts surrounding the technology that went into Bitcoin, fairly significant establishment figures were well aware of the possibilities of cryptographic hash chains or internet based cash systems, and all long long before the 2008 white paper. You could argue that this information was available to anyone, but I would posit the following:

• 1. Military/intelligence research labs will have conducted at least some experimentation into this overall field, you can pretty much take that as a given
  • 2. Some self-directed geek, using entirely their own resources, came up with a Bitcoin-like system first
  • 3. An ostensible Satoshi was working on such trials, and was inspired by the work to create Bitcoin

On a range of probabilities, 1 is a great deal more likely than 2 or 3. I wouldn't rule out 2 completely, but if 3 is the genuine truth, Satoshi should be either dead or in jail now (and made an example of, publicly).

You may ask, "If military/intelligence research produced Bitcoin, why would they release it to the public at all? Why upset the financial/economic order for the sake of publishing an experiment, many of which are classified anyway?". The answer is first-mover advantage. While the creator of Bitcoin could not help but recognise it's highly disruptive nature, they would also be very aware of the perceived risks of allowing "just anybody" to lead this kind of innovation. After all, communities with cypherpunk skills/credentials (e.g. Adam Back or Hal Finney) existed almost since the internet began, this would only provide further impetus for military/intelligence led experiments of the same nature.

Good point. But for me, it really doesn't matter where he works or what the agenda is, what matters is what happens behind every transaction that bitcoin is involved. I mean, creating a cryptocurrency that is available for everyone and can be obtained by many ways that is as good as paper money is significantly too good to be true, if you know what I mean.

I still have a lot to learn about bitcoin and the founder (look at my member level, I'm like... yeah) but as far as how bitcoin is created and the mystery of Satoshi's identity is concerned, I can conclude that there is really something happening that we are about to know.

❰❰ OPHION ❱❱▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨ A SECURE, ANONYMOUS & DECENTRALIZED MARKET ▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨▨❰❰ OPHION ❱❱
TRADE GOODS OR SERVICES ■NO LOGGING - AT ALL■ 2 OF 3 MULTISIG AUTOMATION ■SELLER/BUYER RATING SYSTEM■ AND MANY MORE
❰❰▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❰❰ JOIN THE CROWDSALE ❱❱▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❱❱
JohnDSmall

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:56:40 PM

"Satoshi leaves just as Wikileaks heat hits Bitcoin"

Very good point. Especially as he specifically requested that Wikileaks should not use Bitcoin, and then they did, so Satoshi went quiet.

As a Britisher, I find reading his paper feels very familiar. The language seems very British, or at least someone who spent a lot of time in England. I'd guess someone from GCHQ or someone from the NSA who spent time at GCHQ.

Also we can be pretty sure the security services will have tracked him down by now. We forget that it's easy for the NSA to demand to know who paid for bitcoin.org to be registered. But nothing has been leaked. If it was a non-security services person they would have leaked it. If they found out it was one of their own employees they'd keep it quiet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: