Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:22:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The best Bitcoin cold storage?  (Read 19312 times)
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:28:16 PM

Cut a wound in your arm down to the bone and make notches on the bone instead of copper wire.
When the wound heals, these notches might be visible on an x-ray machine.
This might be a good option for an apocalypse. You would be able to fashion your own x-ray machine using parts from old microwaves.

What a nonsense!

Oh, wait, in fact you really might build bind of an x-ray from a microwave magneton!
Go ahead!
Post pics, you can blur out the actual code in your bone too ;-)

Ente
SouthernComfort

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:55:10 PM

I just use Blockchain... Hopefully its safe enough
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 08:30:49 PM

Let's get even more extreme...

Store it in a strand of DNA?  Then make the DNA recreate itself (I have no idea how this stuff works), and store the resulting biomatter in a container kept frozen.  Whenever you need the data, just pick a small portion of the matter out and scan the DNA.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 09:01:47 PM

. . . You would be able to fashion your own x-ray machine using parts from old microwaves.
Huh

This seems unlikely.

As I understand it, microwaves have a wavelength of between 1 millimeter and 1 meter (longer wavelength than visible light). x-rays have a wavelength between 10 nanometers and 0.01 nanometers (shorter than visible light).  Microwaves mostly tend to be absorbed by the body resulting in a build up of heat.  X-rays mostly tend to pass through a body allowing an image to be captured on a film placed on the opposite side (and not building up much heat). I doubt you could fashion an x-ray machine from a microwave anymore than you could cook your food with an x-ray machine.
ah2222255555

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 10:23:32 PM

. . . You would be able to fashion your own x-ray machine using parts from old microwaves.
Huh

This seems unlikely.

As I understand it, microwaves have a wavelength of between 1 millimeter and 1 meter (longer wavelength than visible light). x-rays have a wavelength between 10 nanometers and 0.01 nanometers (shorter than visible light).  Microwaves mostly tend to be absorbed by the body resulting in a build up of heat.  X-rays mostly tend to pass through a body allowing an image to be captured on a film placed on the opposite side (and not building up much heat). I doubt you could fashion an x-ray machine from a microwave anymore than you could cook your food with an x-ray machine.

More energy needed for the higher wavelength of x-rays. You can make x-rays in a similar fashion to how a microwave works. ie by smashing electrons against a metal target.
Just need to up the potential used in your accelerator.
Do this by altering the coil windings or using two transformers etc. Just make sure your rectifier can handle the voltage increase.

A cathode ray TV might make more sense actually since the voltages are already alot higher.

Think a microwave is only about 2000 volts. A TV might be like 20,000 v I guess. In fact TV's have leaded glass in their screen for this reason. It can be dodgy to turn up the voltage too high when adjusting things inside due to x-ray dangers.

Hiding your bitcoin internally would keep it from the man. A laser could be used to burn the code into your retina!
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 10:35:07 PM

why not store the paper wallet in the same place you store your car title.. house deed etc?

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 10:37:58 PM

Huh

This seems unlikely.

More energy needed for the higher wavelength of x-rays. You can make x-rays in a similar fashion to how a microwave works. ie by smashing electrons against a metal target.
Just need to up the potential used in your accelerator.
Do this by altering the coil windings or using two transformers etc. Just make sure your rectifier can handle the voltage increase.

A cathode ray TV might make more sense actually since the voltages are already alot higher.

Think a microwave is only about 2000 volts. A TV might be like 20,000 v I guess. In fact TV's have leaded glass in their screen for this reason. It can be dodgy to turn up the voltage too high when adjusting things inside due to x-ray dangers.

Hiding your bitcoin internally would keep it from the man. A laser could be used to burn the code into your retina!

Dude.  That is NOT how a magnetron works.  Magnetrons are oscillators, not accelerators.  And the frequency is controlled by the geometry of the resonant cavities, not the voltage.  If you increase the gate voltage, you might kill yourself, but you won't get x-rays.

Shut up before someone gets hurt.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
ah2222255555

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

nobody would seriously try this. Tongue It's highly dangerous not to mention the risk of infection.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 11:01:34 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2013, 10:55:55 AM by justusranvier

Dude.  That is NOT how a magnetron works.  Magnetrons are oscillators, not accelerators.  And the frequency is controlled by the geometry of the resonant cavities, not the voltage.  If you increase the gate voltage, you might kill yourself, but you won't get x-rays.

Shut up before someone gets hurt.
The part about cathode ray tubes was correct.

If you ever get your hands on a schematic for a CRT display you'll find marked components for X-ray protection. They keep the voltage in the flyback transformer from exceeding a value which could produce X-rays.
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:18:39 AM

Well that escalated quickly.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2013, 12:54:14 AM

is it though??
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 01:27:25 AM

is it though??
That depends on your needs and on how you use it.
AtomSea

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

So sexy, it hurts.

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 04:22:15 AM

Cut a wound in your arm down to the bone and make notches on the bone instead of copper wire.
When the wound heals, these notches might be visible on an x-ray machine.
This might be a good option for an apocalypse. You would be able to fashion your own x-ray machine using parts from old microwaves.

+1
AKCoins

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 03:24:33 AM

Engrave a piece of metal If you are planning to store a paper wallet for a long time and in the outdoors, you should just engrave a piece of metal. You can do it at the mall (Fast Fix) for a couple bucks. It will cost more than the little canister, but it will do a better job than writing it on a piece of paper. You could even put your engraved metal in the canister.

Simple as that. I'm not sure you need an x-ray machine.
Jiveturkey235

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 10:05:20 AM

I would keep it in a cheap fire proof safe
hathmill

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:20:55 PM

The smartest thing to do is to engrave the private key on the lens inn your eye. That way you can always see it. Since Im into AltCoins I have a huge list of priv keys so I had to dedicated my left eyeye for this. But its pretty safe. Will never in my life use a retina scanner though. Also since priv key is so dangerous if other see it, nowadays I only use the public key.

Edit: on a more serious note I guess the priv key isis best stored, engraved in a durable material duch as metal or stone. If metal starts to corrode, just make a new one. Dont engrave inn goöd or silver though because most people will see another type of value in those.
xeroc

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:43:27 PM

why not select one aribtray transaction from the blockchain .. maybe the first you have ever done using your first BTCs ... selected the last 60 letters of the transaction id .. run  sha256 and/or other hash over it an use the result as privkey .. .. that way you can always get you privkey aslong as the block chain exists. .. if it seases to exist, you coins are gone too :-)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 02:26:49 AM

I like that cointainer...... wait.. I am going to market those and call them that coin-tainers! ... Okay, I said it first, if you wish to use the name, you can use it for free as long as you mention me. But you can also tip me a royalty. (or you could care less and just use it anyway, that would be sad; unless you pretend you never heard of it from here.)

Coin-tainer by Dabs. Stainless Steel Cold Storage.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 03:27:57 AM

Why don't you just write it on papyrus paper using carbon soot from an olive oil lamp as ink. Then put it in a clay jar and store it in a cave. I hear that will last for a couple of thousand years.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 04:43:07 PM

I will be offering Bitcoin Private keys laser engraved in diamonds pretty soon. It's a little bit more complicated then originally expected so there are a few things to work out still, but my service is coming. :-)

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: