Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:34:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt not updating new blocks  (Read 1928 times)
labestiol (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:30:59 AM

I have an issue with bitcoin-qt which has stopped downloading new blocks for more than a day (stopped at block 215809).
There's a message in the status bar saying something like "Alert : displayed transactions might be incorrect. You or other network nodes might need to do an update" (translated from french).
I do have 10+ connection so that shouldn't be the problem. I tried a -rescan without success.
Version is the latest from ubuntu repositories, OS is an updated ubuntu (12.04 LTS), datadir is on a encrypted (AES iirc) usb stick.

Any idea what might be wrong ?
I guess I could just erase every file except my wallet.dat an re-download everything, but just in case there's another solution I prefer asking.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 01:16:12 AM

I have an issue with bitcoin-qt which has stopped downloading new blocks for more than a day (stopped at block 215809).
There's a message in the status bar saying something like "Alert : displayed transactions might be incorrect. You or other network nodes might need to do an update" (translated from french).
I do have 10+ connection so that shouldn't be the problem. I tried a -rescan without success.
Version is the latest from ubuntu repositories, OS is an updated ubuntu (12.04 LTS), datadir is on a encrypted (AES iirc) usb stick.

Any idea what might be wrong ?
I guess I could just erase every file except my wallet.dat an re-download everything, but just in case there's another solution I prefer asking.

i think that's caused by having some incompatible .log file in the database folder.   i've always just redownloaded everything,

though i'm sure there's an easier way to do it
labestiol (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 02:12:22 AM

i think that's caused by having some incompatible .log file in the database folder.   i've always just redownloaded everything,

though i'm sure there's an easier way to do it

Not an incompatibility caused by a new bitcoin-qt version, the update is older than a day. Maybe from another software/library.
And by the way I forgot to tell that it seems to be downloading blocks/something (the folder size is growing Shocked)).

Maybe I could delete only some files, in order to save some time ?

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 05:59:14 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2013, 06:13:24 AM by deepceleron

You can view the debug.log and db.log files in the Bitcoin data directory. The logging at the end of these files may indicate what is going on. Chances are 99% that the blkindex.dat file has become corrupted and is no longer able to be read. The easiest solution would be to rename/remove blk000?.dat and blkindex.dat, and let Bitcoin re-download the blockchain.

You may save some time by importing (instead of re-downloading) some of the old blocks. Move files around if you don't have 16GB of space:
 1. rename blk0001-blk0003.dat to blk000*.old
 2. rename blkindex.dat to blkindex.old (or just delete it)
 3. start Bitcoin with this command line (use the correct path to old data files):
bitcoin-qt -loadblock=/media/usb1/blk0001.old -loadblock=/media/usb1/blk0002.old
 4. wait about 2-6 hours for the importing to complete, then Bitcoin will start normally and download from the network.

I would not recommend that the datadir be on a removable medium or especially a USB Flash drive, these are inherently slow and unreliable, and will greatly increase the amount of time required to synchronize the blockchain. Accidentally unplug the USB stick: corrupt wallet. The datadir is ~7GB and always growing.

Wallet.dat encryption is available in the client; whole-drive encryption is redundant, as no other data besides the wallet needs to be private (unless you are trying to completely conceal your use of Bitcoin).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: