Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:07:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent to wrong address can you get your bitcoins back  (Read 8772 times)
first timer bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 07:45:24 PM

Hi my very first transaction .... i messed up or i was conned  Sad

Im not very good with pc's still learning ...old school-er

i sent 1.6 btc to what i thought was my vendor but according to them they never received it...

i have the address to which it was sent ... is there anyway of tracing the coins after it leaves your wallet ?

The address was 1JgLem9LPSLhy97rUXacm1bVQbf7RF2YyK...

is there a way ? does anyone know if you can trace addresses like this ?

thanking you

First time bitcoiner

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 07:54:22 PM

Hi my very first transaction .... i messed up or i was conned  Sad

Im not very good with pc's still learning ...old school-er

i sent 1.6 btc to what i thought was my vendor but according to them they never received it...

i have the address to which it was sent ... is there anyway of tracing the coins after it leaves your wallet ?

The address was 1JgLem9LPSLhy97rUXacm1bVQbf7RF2YyK...

is there a way ? does anyone know if you can trace addresses like this ?

thanking you

First time bitcoiner

You wont get them back though.

https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/64994d130865fe81e232c465639b7e78d84d7e6aef0555651034428ca7667fb3

Looks like you had 2 BTC and send 1.59... btc to the above address which have been used here

https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/a174928eb704d089658131176bc162b769113fcd5c0269c31ce85727052c1e03

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 07:56:14 PM

I'm sorry, but you won't be able to get your bitcoins back. However, you'll be able to track it using a block explorer. I suggest you blocktrail.com.
venan

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://dreamtowards.net/?inviter=venan

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:00:23 PM

unfortunately only chance is if owner of this address would be very kind and return you bitcoins, but chance of this is almost 0, so forget about it and try to earn your  lost money

first timer bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:28:43 PM

unfortunately only chance is if owner of this address would be very kind and return you bitcoins, but chance of this is almost 0, so forget about it and try to earn your  lost money

Ok thanks for your quick replies ... how would i go about writing to the owner ? no harm in trying ... no try no get ...

i see those two link but lol way over my head ...

thanks
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 08:36:38 PM

Ok thanks for your quick replies ... how would i go about writing to the owner ? no harm in trying ... no try no get ...

thanks

Well where did you get the address from?

first timer bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:45:51 PM

thanks

well as it was my first time i copied and paste into my email draft ... glad i did or of course i would have no record of it...
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:00:32 PM

unfortunately only chance is if owner of this address would be very kind and return you bitcoins, but chance of this is almost 0, so forget about it and try to earn your  lost money

thanks

well as it was my first time i copied and paste into my email draft ... glad i did or of course i would have no record of it...

No the address you send the coins to. If its not from the merchant it has to come from somewhere. A typo is next to impossible due to the checksum at the end of the address.

AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:06:55 PM

unfortunately only chance is if owner of this address would be very kind and return you bitcoins, but chance of this is almost 0, so forget about it and try to earn your  lost money

thanks

No the address you send the coins to. If its not from the merchant it has to come from somewhere. A typo is next to impossible due to the checksum at the end of the address.

In the rare event that typo does provide a valid address, it is unlikely to be an address for which someone has the private key needed.

I suggest you check your PC for malware. There is malware going around right now that changes the address in the clipboard (where data is stored when you copy and paste) to one the villain controls, and I suspect that is what happened here.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:14:14 PM

I think or confirm that you cannot get back the sent bitcoins to wrong addres ya one thing can be done is you can send a small bitcoin with the message of your problem with the transaction and ask him to refund you, if the owner of the wrongly sended bitcoins receives your query , and if he will to send back he will do it or reply you back. If not then just forget it as a bad dream and move on.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:18:27 PM

I think or confirm that you cannot get back the sent bitcoins to wrong addres ya one thing can be done is you can send a small bitcoin with the message of your problem with the transaction and ask him to refund you,

You cant send a message with a transaction.

if the owner of the wrongly sended bitcoins receives your query , and if he will to send back he will do it or reply you back. If not then just forget it as a bad dream and move on.

first timer bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:20:11 PM

thanks

In the rare event that typo does provide a valid address, it is unlikely to be an address for which someone has the private key needed.

I suggest you check your PC for malware. There is malware going around right now that changes the address in the clipboard (where data is stored when you copy and paste) to one the villain controls, and I suspect that is what happened here.

yes i did find virus and i have deleted it ... i only have free addition of avg

So does that mean that the address is not traceable and i cannot write to the owner ?
as that was the address it was sent to ... im sorry if a silly question i am of the understanding that all these coins are traceable... through block chain ... or have i misread somewhere and got my facts wrong ?    
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:22:37 PM

thanks

So does that mean that the address is not traceable and i cannot write to the owner ?
as that was the address it was sent to ... im sorry if a silly question i am of the understanding that all these coins are traceable... through block chain ... or have i misread somewhere and got my facts wrong ?    

You can trace the coins as long as you want, but you will not get a name out of the blockchain.

Sorry for your loss.

btcdevil
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:26:20 PM

I think or confirm that you cannot get back the sent bitcoins to wrong addres ya one thing can be done is you can send a small bitcoin with the message of your problem with the transaction and ask him to refund you,

if the owner of the wrongly sended bitcoins receives your query , and if he will to send back he will do it or reply you back. If not then just forget it as a bad dream and move on.

Just checked with coinbase online web wallet , when you click send funds option , their are three columns first - recipient , second - amount, and third - Note,  in this column you can send the message to the address and tell the problem.  

In electrum also in the send funds option their is option of description where you can type your problem and send the bitcoin with message. whether it read or not that is other point.
first timer bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

thanks

Sorry what do you mean by private key ?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:30:50 PM

Just checked with coinbase online web wallet , when you click send funds option , their are three columns first - recipient , second - amount, and third - Note,  in this column you can send the message to the address and tell the problem.  

In electrum also in the send funds option their is option of description where you can type your problem and send the bitcoin with message. whether it read or not that is other point.

That is not part of the bitcoin protocoll. Coinbase as a service may offer this among their customers, but will only work if both use a coinbase wallet (similar is possible with blockchain.info). Electrum will encrypt a message for you for an address, yes, but you cant send it with the transaction you need other means to transfer the data. On top of that, it will also only work if the recipient is using electrum or they wont be able to decrypt it.

btcdevil
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:38:39 PM

That is not part of the bitcoin protocoll. Coinbase as a service may offer this among their customers, but will only work if both use a coinbase wallet (similar is possible with blockchain.info). Electrum will encrypt a message for you for an address, yes, but you cant send it with the transaction you need other means to transfer the data. On top of that, it will also only work if the recipient is using electrum or they wont be able to decrypt it.

Thanks for the information, i have never used this option, but i thought that this option were for that use only, but today after your clarification i got my doubts cleared, i will try to send some bitcoins between my both wallet and will get the details confirmed also.
first timer bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:42:08 PM

Ok i understand the description part ... the receiver also has to be using Electrum to get the message 
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 09:45:29 PM

Ok i understand the description part ... the receiver also has to be using Electrum to get the message 

No, the receiver needs electrum to decrypt (be able to read) the message. To receive the message you need some other means to transfer it, like a mail address.

iv4n
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1172

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:46:32 PM

U make all 3 wallets then ( coinbase, blockchain, electrum) and then send message from every wallet to same address. U cant mistake then.
Can u imagine luck on that guy face when he check his wallet and there is 1.6 btc recived? Wow. Anyway maybe he removed all his money to some other wallet and abandon this one.. eh.. I would like u to get coins back, but its hard.. people are not so honest.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀