Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:53:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-02-10] ToI: Card frauds used bitcoins to trade money  (Read 2958 times)
soyab0007

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:33:08 AM

Guys, do purchasing stuffs from newegg and amazon.com through bitcoins will be illegal or legal?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stingers
Legendary

Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:00:59 AM

Guys, do purchasing stuffs from newegg and amazon.com through bitcoins will be illegal or legal?
I guess Delhi Poilice wont catch you for these transactions till you are involved in some kind of fraud or something. I will still continue to use bitcoin as a mode of payment regardless of whatever is happening.
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:33:22 PM

This was very depressing to read about. I had done some trades with him in the past and he seemed to be a great guy, how did he get mixed up in all of this! Sad

Warning, OT: Anyhow, i was looking for info on the taxation piece and did not get anywhere on the taxation thread, since there seem to be so many traders on this thread, i would like to ask for your understanding and how you declare earnings from Bitcoin in ITR. My tax consultant had no clue and he just wanted me to club it and show it as additional income. My understanding is that it is not a currency, so how can i show it as additional income. Another thing i do not get is this: Do i have to pay taxes only when i convert the BTC to INR, or do i have to pay taxes even for holding BTC, if yes, at what rate (since it fluctuates so much)?

polynesia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 12:47:03 AM

Do i have to pay taxes only when i convert the BTC to INR, or do i have to pay taxes even for holding BTC, if yes, at what rate (since it fluctuates so much)?

My understanding is that you have to pay tax when you get BTC in exchange for goods/services (not buy BTC) or when you sell BTC for a profit. You do not have to pay taxes for holding BTC.
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 01:22:28 AM

Do i have to pay taxes only when i convert the BTC to INR, or do i have to pay taxes even for holding BTC, if yes, at what rate (since it fluctuates so much)?

My understanding is that you have to pay tax when you get BTC in exchange for goods/services (not buy BTC) or when you sell BTC for a profit. You do not have to pay taxes for holding BTC.

So how do i classify my income from BTC for say a signature campaign. Once i convert to INR, do i club with additional income and be taxed according to my current tax bracket? Also, if i "gift" btc to my spouse or family members who are not earning, will that save me from tax liability? If yes, how does one go about "gifting" something virtual and what kind of proof could i provide? If i am trading btc, then it would be capital gains tax? I assume i will need to provide purchase proof though, but this purchase was done off bitcoin sites way before Indian exchanges came about, what could i do in this case, most of these websites preached anonymity so there is no actual record of the transaction on their website and p2p transaction purchases. I don't think providing a txid to the tax authorities would help! Cheesy

simple_love

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 07:23:45 PM

the only way bitcoin really helped int his case, was because it can used to make international transfers. one could as well used cash if it were inside India.

i think it is reasonable for the govt. to know who is using bitcoins after all. just because they know who is using it, doesn't mean everyone has done something wrong. i really don't see what is wrong in using bitcoins if not used for illegal purposes. of course, paying taxes is something everyone should take care of.
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 12:22:08 AM

the only way bitcoin really helped int his case, was because it can used to make international transfers. one could as well used cash if it were inside India.

i think it is reasonable for the govt. to know who is using bitcoins after all. just because they know who is using it, doesn't mean everyone has done something wrong. i really don't see what is wrong in using bitcoins if not used for illegal purposes. of course, paying taxes is something everyone should take care of.

The problem was not with bitcoins. The problem was with the source of cash used to buy bitcoins - they were obtained illegally. The question is whether Pankaj knew that the cash was obtained through illegal means. The police believe he knew.
stingers
Legendary

Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:50:58 AM

The problem was not with bitcoins. The problem was with the source of cash used to buy bitcoins - they were obtained illegally. The question is whether Pankaj knew that the cash was obtained through illegal means. The police believe he knew.
I.e problem was with credit cards. Bitcoin ain't the culprit here. CCs are.
dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 08:11:19 PM

The other side is that if everyone was using Bitcoin, this kind of fraud cannot happen.

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 04:57:27 PM

The other side is that if everyone was using Bitcoin, this kind of fraud cannot happen.

It can happen with only plastic money too. when there is no cash transaction.

With bitcoin there is way to hack system and steal all bitcoin. Nothing is 100% safe.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: