Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:44:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why you will never get an ASIC miner, for real.  (Read 6016 times)
Ltcfaucet (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:14:32 AM

You will never have a commercially made ASIC miner for SHA encryption!

Until every organisation on the internet and off the internet changes the way they encrypt their information, you are out of luck.

Reason being:
This ASIC hardware could too easily be reverse engineered to decrypt SHA. And with it's small size and power consumption they could be ran almost anywhere barely undetected constantly attacking SHA at an incredible rate. Essentially these devices would put too much power into public hands.

If you are going to continue to pursue this Bitcoin mining game you better load up on FPGAs and GPUs!

Now someone tell me I am wrong.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:15:34 AM

You are wrong.
Ltcfaucet (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:16:29 AM

You are wrong.

Please tell me more!
greyhawk

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:18:04 AM

more
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:19:04 AM

You are more wrong. Quite.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Ltcfaucet (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:22:04 AM

more

Exactly.

Estimated how much money did BFL receive in pre-orders?

You're telling me with that kind of cash on hand you can't get a piece of hardware manufactured?

Why are there other companies in the same boat? One which is now selling-out.

The U.S. Government is who is preventing ASIC I can almost guarantee you.

And as previously stated on this forum and many other places, having that ability is quite literally like having a money printer, if it existed they would never let it go!

I sure as fuck wouldn't tell anyone if I found a way to generate thousands of dollars in bitcoins per day, just being honest.

So please tell me I'm wrong, with a little emphasis.
greyhawk

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:23:54 AM

You are wrong.

Thank you for shopping with Greyhawk's Request Fullfillment Service.

Please be sure to leave the customary request fulfillment fee in our collection box below.
Ltcfaucet (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:25:41 AM

You are wrong.

Please be sure to leave the customary request fulfillment fee in our collection box below.

Explain!

How am I wrong?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:29:26 AM

Thanks.

You are wrong.

Ltcfaucet, please note your request has been fulfilled by  Greyhawk's Request Fullfillment Service.

Additional requests will of course attract additional charges.

That is all.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
greyhawk

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:29:43 AM

You are wrong.

Explain!

How am I wrong?

You have already used up your three wishes. Further request fulfillment requires settlement of outstanding fees.
Ltcfaucet (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:32:30 AM

You are wrong.

Explain!

How am I wrong?

You have already used up your three wishes. Further request fulfillment requires settlement of outstanding fees.

INSERTS COIN....
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:42:41 AM

You are right untill one appears doing 60gh@60watts but untill then it,s going to be an endless discussion over and over... people will try to convince u ur wrong ...its like god vs darwin

Still buying gpu,s an are making btc over and over day in day out.

I feel sorry for people who pre orderd the quick cash machines they will find out the hard way...first they thought they could make roi before halvingday hoping to get there hands on the first batches ..whaaaa
 look at the sitiuation now..  Nothing in life comes for free.. Nothing..

I do hoop for the community and the trust there will be some sort of conversion from gpu fpga to better and efficient devices.. Some day before the next halvingday
If Avalon doesn,t deliver this month with there nice words and answers it for sure can be called an SCAM

Cheerzzz...

COINDER
COINDER
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:26:37 PM

Until every organisation on the internet and off the internet changes the way they encrypt their information, you are out of luck.

Reason being:
This ASIC hardware could too easily be reverse engineered to decrypt SHA. And with it's small size and power consumption they could be ran almost anywhere barely undetected constantly attacking SHA at an incredible rate. Essentially these devices would put too much power into public hands.

If you are going to continue to pursue this Bitcoin mining game you better load up on FPGAs and GPUs!

Thanks.

SHA isn't encryption. It is a one way hash function. It obscures an input, but on the level you are arguing encryption might as well be the term you want to use.

The thing about SHA as a one way has function is that unless the math is broken by anything less than a brute force attack, it is still "intact". Yes ASICs might make this easier, but...

• As single purpose chips this are aimed at SHA-256
  • Moving existing applications from SHA-256 to SHA-512 fixes this, probably (if the asics as delivered could perform either calculation instead of only one, the engineering was likely suboptimal because they probably could have squeezed out still more performance on the same die.)

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 02:36:09 PM

Reason being:

Thanks.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAAH That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  You have NO idea what you're talking about.  SHA is a HASH algorithm - it's not for ENCRYPTION.  Go read something please.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Gatorhex

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 02:53:35 AM

I'm beginning to think you're right, there is always some reason for shipment delay every month, and what keeps you in there is the threat of losing your place in the pre-order queue.

I could take pre-order money and buy mountains of FPGAs with it.

When eventually the sucker I mean customer wakes up and asks for their money back I can give it to them.

Off course nobody was ripped off, they got their money back, so I got a free loan, and maybe their currency depreciated a little over time, but all that matters is they got refunded.

Arbitrage scams work best when nobody feels like a victim. Wink
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 03:35:07 AM

Reason being:

Thanks.

You are an idiot....
1. You are a dyed in the wool troll... trolls have no understanding of technology.
2. You cannot 'decrypt a hash' , it would be like trying to see the contents of a black hole.
3. An ASIC is just that.... APPLICATION SPECIFIC INTEGRATED CIRCUIT.... it would be like buying a Skoda and thinking that putting a new set of windscreen wipers in it will make it a Rolls Royce.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:15:02 AM

You are an idiot....
1. You are a dyed in the wool troll... trolls have no understanding of technology.
2. You cannot 'decrypt a hash' , it would be like trying to see the contents of a black hole.
3. An ASIC is just that.... APPLICATION SPECIFIC INTEGRATED CIRCUIT.... it would be like buying a Skoda and thinking that putting a new set of windscreen wipers in it will make it a Rolls Royce.

You ever see the Top Gear when they compared a Rolls Royce to a Mercedes to a "Bentley" ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyH-351Z_-0&t=1m17s Give it like a minute or so.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
witherworth

Activity: 155

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:35:40 AM

Reason being:

Thanks.

Let's put bitcoin aside, and focus completely on security here, since you've made that a serious concern. Here's the thing with security, it's exponentially more difficult to break, for every small difficulty increase in encrypting. This means it'll always be much easier to increase difficulty, than it will to break the harder difficulty. As technology advances and we get fast machines to break 256  bit encryption, 512 comes out, and after some time, we can then break 512, but it's already been upgraded to 1024, and so on.

Let's look at some numbers just to check this out:
http://www.cryptopp.com/benchmarks.html

Using the first algorithm type, let's assume our arbitrary encryption uses 17.2 cycles per byte of the key, for some arbitrary length data (making a lot of assumptions, but they're made fairly).
So, our 8-bit cypher takes 17.2 CPU cycles to encrypt. With 8-bit security, there are 256 possible outcomes (2^8). All outcomes can be found in 4403.2 cycles (256*17.2). I'm going to go crazy here and assume absolutely no collisions for these examples. In reality, however, you may need to encrypt/hash 500+ different items to cover all 256 possibilities, or you may never find all 256, but for these examples, we'll assume no collisions, and everything plays nice.

Now, let's assume we get some fancy new computers available, and now we need to upgrade our security. Let's use 16-bit encryption. That'll take 34.4 cycles to encrypt (2*17.2), giving us 65536 combinations possible. That'll take 1.127 million cycles to calculate all possible values. With a 3GHz processor (3 billion cycles per second), you're still talking about 1/1000 of a second to calculate all possible values.

Let's up our security to 24-bit. Encryption = 51.6 cycles. 16.8m possibilities. 288m cycles for all possibilities (1/30th of a second).

32-bit security. Encrypt = 68.8 cycles. 4.3 billion possibilities. 73.9 billion cycles for all combinations. 24.62 seconds.

40-bit security. Encrypt = 86 cycles. 1.1 trillion possibilities. 18.9 trillion cycles for all combinations. 1 hour, 45 minutes.

48-bit security. Encrypt = 103.2 cycles. 281 trillion possibilities. 4.84 quadrillion cycles for all possibilities. 18 days, 16 hours.

So you see, while it take so incredibly little time to encrypt, the decryption time grows exponentially larger with each little bit of security you add. So, would it be possible for someone to create some ASICs that are designed to break security in use today? Sure, but as soon as that was figured out, everyone would just increase what security strength they use, and all the ASICs become completely useless then. It would be interesting if someone started working on ASICs for 2048 bit encryption of some popular types, then waited for everyone to upgrade (creating rainbow tables or whatever in the meantime), then they could attack several companies at a single time before everyone noes up to 4096. It'd be a bit surprising to jump up in security, only to find it less secure than what everyone was just on.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:12:26 PM

So you see, while it take so incredibly little time to encrypt, the decryption time grows exponentially larger with each little bit of security you add. So, would it be possible for someone to create some ASICs that are designed to break security in use today? Sure, but as soon as that was figured out, everyone would just increase what security strength they use, and all the ASICs become completely useless then. It would be interesting if someone started working on ASICs for 2048 bit encryption of some popular types, then waited for everyone to upgrade (creating rainbow tables or whatever in the meantime), then they could attack several companies at a single time before everyone noes up to 4096. It'd be a bit surprising to jump up in security, only to find it less secure than what everyone was just on.

I'm not quite sure how processing SHA256 hashes using ASICs is "impossible" or that 'they' would never allow it.  I suspect a basic lack of understanding of the underlying technologies by the OP.

Regarding building ASICs specifically for the purposes of decryption, its already been done a very long time ago.  Here is one example I can think of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFF_DES_cracker

The principal designer was Paul Kocher, president of Cryptography Research. Advanced Wireless Technologies built 1856 custom ASIC DES chips (called Deep Crack or AWT-4500), housed on 29 circuit boards of 64 chips each.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:42:35 PM

If you succeed to decrypt SHA you would have invented infinite data compression. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: