Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:18:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Hub a suitable port for USB mining?  (Read 1109 times)
0bit (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:14:10 AM

Title says everything. The PSU included with the hub is rated at 12v 5A. I know the 10-port version of this product works but I don't think I will need that many ports.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3908

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:49:42 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2016, 04:44:10 AM by Biodom

It works very well on Linux PC, did not try windows, but should work as well, but Anker does NOT work on raspberry pi AT ALL (it is known).
What USB your are talking about? If this is about sidehack/gekkoscience stick, then there is a big support thread on it.
0bit (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 04:12:06 AM

Thanks for your answer. I was looking at the Sidehack sticks, although I am doing this on a budget right now so I couldn't afford many of them. Such a shame that it doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi. Probably because the drivers aren't compatible with ARM processors
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 04:31:11 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2016, 04:42:47 AM by Biodom

Thanks for your answer. I was looking at the Sidehack sticks, although I am doing this on a budget right now so I couldn't afford many of them. Such a shame that it doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi. Probably because the drivers aren't compatible with ARM processors

just install Ubuntu on a PC partition and make it double-boot;
it works great and ubuntu installer is smart enough to give you a choice between windows or linux on each restart.
Alternatively, Superbpag (USB 3.0) and Plugable (usb 2.0, but slots can handle up to 1.5A) are known to work with rasp pi (any of them, including pi zero).
BTW, gekkoscience sticks DO work great on rasp pi, of course, just not with that Anker.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2105
Merit: 1397

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 06:04:31 PM

it works great and ubuntu installer is smart enough to give you a choice between windows or linux on each restart.
Alternatively, Superbpag (USB 3.0) and Plugable (usb 2.0, but slots can handle up to 1.5A) are known to work with rasp pi (any of them, including pi zero).
BTW, gekkoscience sticks DO work great on rasp pi, of course, just not with that Anker.

I can confirm that the Anker hubs work fun under Windows/Mac with my scrypt USB sticks, but it does NOT work with the RPi (others users are saying no linux systems in general...it has to do with a bug that the Anker USB 3.0 chipset has).

I do agree the the Superbpag is hands down the best hub for any "USB Stick" based mining.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2016, 09:45:31 PM by Biodom

I can confirm that the Anker hubs work fun under Windows/Mac with my scrypt USB sticks, but it does NOT work with the RPi (others users are saying no linux systems in general...it has to do with a bug that the Anker USB 3.0 chipset has).

I do agree the the Superbpag is hands down the best hub for any "USB Stick" based mining.

absolutely re pi, but
re what other users said-Anker does work on Ubuntu 15.10 Linux as far as gekkoscience sticks are concerned.
sometimes they are not picked up readily after PC restart, but sudo reboot fixes it.
Superbpag is good, but so is Plugable 7port 60w hub (usb 2.0, but with 1.4-1.5A/slot) for those living where Superbpag is not available.
eliddell

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 10:54:48 PM

It works very well on Linux PC, did not try windows, but should work as well, but Anker does NOT work on raspberry pi AT ALL (it is known).
What USB your are talking about? If this is about sidehack/gekkoscience stick, then there is a big support thread on it.

In regards to raspberry pi, definitely NOT working... i stumbled on this thread because a friend gave me a bunch of these gekkoScience 2PACs and im trying to find a suitable hub.. so far the max i seem to be able to power stablely is two per powered hub.  have tried the anker 9 port 3.0 5amp, a Vantec 10 4amp.. just ordered another, that claims it can deliver 2.5 amp to each port simultaneously but we shall see..  I have had some luck daisy chaining powerd usb hubs. (yikes)

anyway, rant... what thread were you talking about "sidehack/gekkoscience stick"  link please Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:38:03 PM

It's a GekkoScience 2Pac. There's a thread on the first page, with posts from today (instead of a year and a half ago), with "GekkoScience 2Pac" and "support" in the title. Probably a good place to start.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: