Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:10:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: VIRCUREX  (Read 64671 times)
Kumala (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:19:25 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 10:11:48 AM by Kumala

We sadly need to announce that our wallet has been compromised thus DO NOT send any further funds to any of the coin wallets, BTC, DVC, LTC, etc. We will setup a new wallet and reset all the addresses. This will most likely take the whole weekend.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:06:40 PM

Posted an announcement regarding this at Important Announcements subforum.
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:25:49 PM

Sorry to hear that. How bad is the loss? Will users be out of pocket, or can vircurex cover it?
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:58:50 PM

Further update:  The system was not breached, no passwords were compromised (they are salted and multiple times hashed anyways). The attacker used a RubyOnRails vulnerability that was released yesterday (http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/24019/) to withdraw the funds therefore.

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 03:06:08 PM

Further update:  The system was not breached, no passwords were compromised (they are salted and multiple times hashed anyways). The attacker used a RubyOnRails vulnerability that was released yesterday (http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/24019/) to withdraw the funds therefore.

Sorry for your lose.

Amm ... the RoR volnurability was posted to multiple large forums, including Slashdot.

Did the attacker see the announcement before you were able to realize it affects you and shut off your systems? How come you missed it for so long that you didn't shut your stuff off / upgrade in time?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 03:10:11 PM

Exploit released yesterday, eh? How convenient...
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 03:14:21 PM

Before the wild speculations beginn, the service will be recovered and we pay the losses out of our own pockets.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 03:36:07 PM

Ouch, good luck with it. Bitcoin central's down too, looks like someone's being a pain in the ass.
That's just scheduled maintenance Smiley
We deployed the fixes within five minutes after receiving the notification from the Rails security mailing list.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 03:36:52 PM

It's the truth.

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 03:40:53 PM

Bit slow of the attacker. I was actually half-expecting someone to start hacking Bitcoin sites before any exploit was even publicly released.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:05:41 PM

Service restored: deposits, trading and withdrawals are working again

For the time being, some restrictions apply until we have sorted out the account details and validated data integrity.

TradingDepositsWithdrawals
BTCActiveActiveOn hold
NMCActiveActiveOn hold
LTCActiveActiveOn hold
DVCActiveActiveActive
SCActiveActiveOn hold
IXCActiveActiveActive
PPCActiveActiveActive
USDActiveActiveActive
EURActiveActiveActive

Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:21:42 PM

For the time being, some restrictions apply until we have sorted out the account details and validated data integrity.

TradingDepositsWithdrawals
BTCActiveActiveOn hold
NMCActiveActiveOn hold
LTCActiveActiveOn hold
DVCActiveActiveActive
SCActiveActiveOn hold
IXCActiveActiveActive
PPCActiveActiveActive
USDActiveActiveActive
EURActiveActiveActive

It's good to see you are recovering so quickly, especially with the severe downtime or outright collapse most exchanges seem to go through.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 05:24:34 PM

Did you switch servers ?

Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:58:42 PM

It's been a couple of stressful hours here.

No we did not switch servers, we:
 - applied the Ruby Rails patch
 - backed up all log files for further analysis
 - log files show the XML code injection, we validated all triggered commands to ensure nothing other than withdrawing funds (e.g. backdoor) was done.

2AM here, will need to catch some sleep,  mistakes are easily made when being too tired.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 06:38:45 PM

Total value lost in the heist?

Sorry for your loss indeed.  Sucks that the vulnerability was in rails and not in your app. 
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 07:28:24 PM

DId you hold ALL your money in cold wallets?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 08:32:53 PM

I'm not sure if I feel worse for bitcoin, vicurex, the people with funds there, or ruby on rails.
eramus

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 09:53:22 PM

It's been a couple of stressful hours here.

No we did not switch servers, we:
 - applied the Ruby Rails patch
 - backed up all log files for further analysis
 - log files show the XML code injection, we validated all triggered commands to ensure nothing other than withdrawing funds (e.g. backdoor) was done.

2AM here, will need to catch some sleep,  mistakes are easily made when being too tired.
This seems like a terrible plan of action. Your server could still be compromised, but site actions have been restored? Why is your wallet easily accessible by your web server?

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 09:56:03 PM

looks like btc withdrawl is allowed now...shall I test it?

nope. the page has button greyed out

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:51:33 PM

BTC, NMC and LTC service back online again.

We hope to fix Soldcoin in the coming hours too.

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

confirmed withdrawl seemed to work for BTC

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:55:46 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you lose?
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:08:08 PM

We'll post all the infos after we have done our investigation, the TRX IDs, IPs, Bitcoin address, etc. May it be of help to the other service providers out there.

DannyM

Activity: 275

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:19:38 PM

See if anyone notices if you don't.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 01:00:54 AM

See if anyone notices if you don't.

Lol werd.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 07:47:26 AM

I had hundreds of satoshis there I think.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:56:07 AM

Also Solidcoin is up and running again.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:58:50 PM

Kumala, hope you do everything fine.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
marketersales

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:40:44 PM

Any clue how this happened?
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 07:55:25 PM

Any clue how this happened?
Read the beginning of the thread ?

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

Ouch, good luck with it. Bitcoin central's down too, looks like someone's being a pain in the ass.
That's just scheduled maintenance Smiley

The 80's called. They want their sysadmin back.

Who still does "scheduled maintenance" in 2013 ?

Every major scientific database provider.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:30:33 PM

Ltc withdrawels are 5 Ltc per withdrawel now, really? I have 10 Ltc on the site, and will have to pay 50% of it as a fee? You will lose a lot of business if this is for real.

Also, while you are at it, please take a look at other exchanges and improve your exchange. It's very confusing, you allow way too many scammy alt coins to be exchanged, which had premining going on like Solid Coin for example. Next, apart from the terrible page design, trading isn't convenient at all, I have to calculate and type dozens of digits whenever I want to change dvc or ixc to btc, then back to ltc. Why do I have to change for ltc, you might ask, other than the fact that I like ltc? Because the withdraw fee for Btc is at a ridiculous 0.1 btc per withdrawel. What a rip-off.

So, while I only use vicurex to profit from some merge mined fractions of coins (way too little volume for actual trading) some real competition for btc, nmc, ltc markets would be very muchly needed. It would be desirable if vircurex presented a a real alternative to btc-e. However, unfortunately you are lightyears away from it.
ThaddeusB

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:41:20 AM

Ltc withdrawels are 5 Ltc per withdrawel now, really? I have 10 Ltc on the site, and will have to pay 50% of it as a fee? You will lose a lot of business if this is for real.

Also, while you are at it, please take a look at other exchanges and improve your exchange. It's very confusing, you allow way too many scammy alt coins to be exchanged, which had premining going on like Solid Coin for example. Next, apart from the terrible page design, trading isn't convenient at all, I have to calculate and type dozens of digits whenever I want to change dvc or ixc to btc, then back to ltc. Why do I have to change for ltc, you might ask, other than the fact that I like ltc? Because the withdraw fee for Btc is at a ridiculous 0.1 btc per withdrawel. What a rip-off.

So, while I only use vicurex to profit from some merge mined fractions of coins (way too little volume for actual trading) some real competition for btc, nmc, ltc markets would be very muchly needed. It would be desirable if vircurex presented a a real alternative to btc-e. However, unfortunately you are lightyears away from it.

While I agree the 5 coin fee for LTC (and NMC) is ridiculous, the inclusion of many altcoins is what gives Vircurex its market niche.  So, please put the fee back to what it was, but leave the alt coins.  An easier way to spend "all funds" at once (on a buy) would be nice as well.
Atruk

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:16:21 AM

While I agree the 5 coin fee for LTC (and NMC) is ridiculous, the inclusion of many altcoins is what gives Vircurex its market niche.  So, please put the fee back to what it was, but leave the alt coins.  An easier way to spend "all funds" at once (on a buy) would be nice as well.

You can spend all of whatever currency you are trading by clicking that balance and and then clicking a low enough sell price to cover all of those coins. If you mean out all of every currency into one buy, I'm not sure they can do that.

Atruk

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:23:28 AM

I'd just like to throw out some serious props to Kumala for how quickly and thoroughly he took care of this. I started trading again on Vircurex soon after they re-enabled deposits, and everything has been incredibly smooth.

Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:38:41 PM

Don't even think about changing the site... if people find it confusing, it says more about their own intelligence than it does about the site.

All the info I would need without a bunch of eye candy prettying up a pig like a few other sites I could name.

(reversible USD and EUR pairs would be nice tho Smiley )

Also, do we have to get new deposit addresses? The welcome messages (announcements) when we log in didn't say that at all. It wasn't until someone pointed me at this thread that I knew what was going on and what the announcements were referring to. (I'm not concerned about the few deposits I made to my old addys... total, they only amounted to a few IXC, so, no big deal)

-- Smoov
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:43:16 PM

Fees reduced down to 1 NMC / 1 LTC respectively.

I had raised the fees due to the considerable amount of extra efforts required to repeatedly maintain those NMC and LTC wallets. People are depositing tons of little amounts (often smaller than 0.0001 LTC or NMC). This leads to the problem that the wallet often needs manual follow up because the wallet is too defragmented and cannot generate the withdrawal.

Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:46:04 PM

Also, do we have to get new deposit addresses? The welcome messages (announcements) when we log in didn't say that at all. It wasn't until someone pointed me at this thread that I knew what was going on and what the announcements were referring to. (I'm not concerned about the few deposits I made to my old addys... total, they only amounted to a few IXC, so, no big deal)

All your old addresses still work. Thus those "auto" deposits you might have running are all credited correctly.

The initial thought was to put in a new wallet due to the security breach, but looking through the system files/logs we believe the wallets have not been touched, that unfortunately only become after we had reset the addresses. I'll be uploading the "old" addresses to those of you who haven't regenerated them yet  in the coming days.

Kumala (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:54:16 PM

It would be desirable if vircurex presented a a real alternative to btc-e. However, unfortunately you are lightyears away from it.

I very much appreciate users feedback/wishes or recommendation on how further to improve the website. Feel free to send me ideas.

Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:03:10 PM

All your old addresses still work. Thus those "auto" deposits you might have running are all credited correctly.

The initial thought was to put in a new wallet due to the security breach, but looking through the system files/logs we believe the wallets have not been touched, that unfortunately only become after we had reset the addresses. I'll be uploading the "old" addresses to those of you who haven't regenerated them yet  in the coming days.
Thnxy... and I just got a deposit notification of one of the IXC deposits in question, so I can confirm that much is working.

-- Smoov
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:34:38 PM

I had raised the fees due to the considerable amount of extra efforts required to repeatedly maintain those NMC and LTC wallets. People are depositing tons of little amounts (often smaller than 0.0001 LTC or NMC). This leads to the problem that the wallet often needs manual follow up because the wallet is too defragmented and cannot generate the withdrawal.

In this case, I seriously suggest you to impose a deposit fee of 0.0001LTC/NMC

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:38:37 PM

A fee of $0.00006?  So it takes 166 transactions to make a penny?  That would be worth it... how, exactly?

I agree with a deposit AND withdrawal fee (perhaps 0.5 both ways), but 0.0001 would just be pointless.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:43:47 PM

A fee of $0.00006?  So it takes 166 transactions to make a penny?  That would be worth it... how, exactly?

I agree with a deposit AND withdrawal fee (perhaps 0.5 both ways), but 0.0001 would just be pointless.

Since Kumala is complaining about sub-0.0001LTC deposit, a deposit fee of 0.0001LTC should be enough to stop these spam activities without affecting "honest" users.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Atruk

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:34:19 PM

Since Kumala is complaining about sub-0.0001LTC deposit, a deposit fee of 0.0001LTC should be enough to stop these spam activities without affecting "honest" users.

The problem with that is generally exchanges don't charge deposit fees.

Registration fees? Sometimes.
Withdrawal fees? Pretty standard.
Transaction fees? Also rather standard.
Deposit fees? OMGWTFBBQ

Deposit fees tend to chase money away from an exchange, they present a barrier to entry. A withdrawal fee though encourages continued trading, you want to get the most out of the withdrawal fee you can, so you keep trading.

danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:35:25 AM

The problem with that is generally exchanges don't charge deposit fees.

Registration fees? Sometimes.
Withdrawal fees? Pretty standard.
Transaction fees? Also rather standard.
Deposit fees? OMGWTFBBQ

Deposit fees tend to chase money away from an exchange, they present a barrier to entry. A withdrawal fee though encourages continued trading, you want to get the most out of the withdrawal fee you can, so you keep trading.

Yeah, I wouldn't ever use an exchange with a deposit fee, as I might as well use one of the competitors for free!

Make a minimum deposit, then.  That would fix your problem.  Maybe .001 or .01 ltc?

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 06:25:03 AM

Wow,

I noticed the wallet announcements, but didn't even notice a disruption in my service.  Perhaps I should be more careful, haha.

Keep up the awesome Kumuala!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 06:09:20 AM

why down?

SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 06:16:00 AM

why down?

+1

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
Atruk

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:19:14 PM

There is one improvement I'd like to see to the way the site operates.

When BTC gets withdrawn and I pay the 0.01 fee to do so, could you pretty please put 1/10th or 1/20th of that towards the optional transaction fee when the transaction should already be high priority.

This has only been a problem for me a few times, but it always seems to pop up when I would like to use the coins I'm withdrawing right away. Then I see new block after new block pass by with the transaction still unconfirmed. It's painful because all of those Satoshi Dice transactions I see flying by on Blockchain.info are probably getting confirmed, because even though they don't meet the network requirements to be high priority they do include fees.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:25:40 PM

When BTC gets withdrawn and I pay the 0.01 fee to do so, could you pretty please put 1/10th or 1/20th of that towards the optional transaction fee when the transaction should already be high priority.

This has only been a problem for me a few times, but it always seems to pop up when I would like to use the coins I'm withdrawing right away. Then I see new block after new block pass by with the transaction still unconfirmed. It's painful because all of those Satoshi Dice transactions I see flying by on Blockchain.info are probably getting confirmed, because even though they don't meet the network requirements to be high priority they do include fees.

whats the high priority network requirements?

Atruk

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 01:29:02 AM

whats the high priority network requirements?

Aged coins and size of inputs and outputs. A day old value of 1BTC or more is generally golden, the technical section of this page covers the formula for determining priority: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

Lately I've noticed though that less mining pools are taking these free transactions though, and it matters very little what the reference bitcoin client says when pools are strongly preferring transactions which include "optional" fees.

mpfrank

Activity: 247

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:43:04 AM

What's the current status?  Is it safe to use again now?

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:23:45 AM

Vircurex is fully functional, you can check the trading volume on the home page of https://vircurex.com

warpio

Activity: 110

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:30:33 PM

what's going on now? the site's getting ddos'd?
Kumala (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:48:48 PM

All discussion are going on in this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49383.100

fronti
Legendary

Activity: 2909
Merit: 1307

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 07:24:33 AM

hello..

what is about vircurex and BCC and the frocen amount of BTC?
Will this speed up the refund.

i know i don't get an answer but maybe somebody also interested

If you like to give me a tip:  bc1q8ht32j5hj42us5qfptvu08ug9zeqgvxuhwznzk

"Bankraub ist eine Unternehmung von Dilettanten. Wahre Profis gründen eine Bank." Bertolt Brecht
fronti
Legendary

Activity: 2909
Merit: 1307

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 10:18:29 AM

and now, this exchange is down completely now?
with all frozen founds ..

and nobody cares.

If you like to give me a tip:  bc1q8ht32j5hj42us5qfptvu08ug9zeqgvxuhwznzk

"Bankraub ist eine Unternehmung von Dilettanten. Wahre Profis gründen eine Bank." Bertolt Brecht
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
November 17, 2018, 02:57:46 AM

I'm getting a 502 on vircurex.com now. I think it's gone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: