Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Interac e-Transfer safe?  (Read 7172 times)
01BTC10 (OP)
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 06:40:07 PM

Anyone has experience with this system? Is it chargeback proof?

How can I protect myself from hackers doing fraudulent transfer?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 07:33:05 PM

I use the system regularly, but sorry, I don't know if it is reverse proof. Never heard of it happening, but I would find out before I did a large trade with a source I didn't trust. Maybe you could call Interac and nail down their terms... and then share that info here, of course!

I've sold BTC for interac email transfers a bunch of times through cavirtex.com and canadabitcoins.com, both great companies, would recommend them both to anyone.
01BTC10 (OP)
VIP

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 02:24:00 AM

http://www.interac.ca/index.php/en/security
Interac Zero Liability Policy

The Interac Zero Liability protects you when using Interac debit services*. You will not be liable for losses resulting from unauthorized transactions. See your financial institution for details.

* Interac Debit, Interac Flash, Interac Cash, Interac Online and Cross-Border Debit

In addition, merchants who offer the Interac Online service must comply with the Canadian Code of Practice for Consumer Protection in Electronic Commerce, endorsed by federal, provincial and territorial ministers responsible for consumer affairs in 2004.  It establishes benchmarks for good business practice for merchants engaged in commercial activities with consumers in the online world.
I have more research to do because I doubt that merchant has no liability... I will try to call my bank next week.
bitsource

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 02:41:53 PM

I believe that once you accept the Interac transfer and the funds are in your account, there can be no chargeback. My suggestion is to complete the transfer before sending the order. As the sender - you can cancel the e-mail transfer until accepted by the receiving end.

32DgAoQRMAkqbaYhShLWQnFt4LWJhWe3Ba
01BTC10 (OP)
VIP

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 03:13:40 PM

I found this on https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Payment_methods

A funds transfer service between personal and business accounts at participating
Canadian financial institutions. In cases of identity theft the transfer may be reversed, especially if both parties are with the same financial institution[4].

Anyway, I will contact my bank this week for more information.
SAC

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 07:04:47 PM

A funds transfer service between personal and business accounts at participating
Canadian financial institutions. In cases of identity theft the transfer may be reversed, especially if both parties are with the same financial institution[4].

Or you could go to the cavertix website and read their reason for not taking them anymore. That being the high rate of charge back scams with them.
01BTC10 (OP)
VIP

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 07:07:46 PM

Or you could go to the cavertix website and read their reason for not taking them anymore. That being the high rate of charge back scams with them.
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

Can I send you an e-Interac e-mail money transfer?

No, but we do send e-Interac e-mail money transfers out to you if you want to withdraw Canadian funds. You do not have to be verified to 'cash-out' with this method. E-mail money transfers ARE reversible but since we are the trusted party we will never reverse one once we send to you. We warn you that accepting EMT's for private sales can be reversed and should not be considered secured funds if you do not know the sender.
https://www.cavirtex.com/faq#sendemt
Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:47:35 AM

I believe that once you accept the Interac transfer and the funds are in your account, there can be no chargeback.

That is incorrect.

Interac e-Transfer is reversible. This is why canadianbitcoins and cavirtex both stopped receiving funds this way.
bitdigger2013

Activity: 397

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 02:28:35 PM

It would seem though that they give misleading information on interac website:

Quoted from interac.ca website:

Always be careful when sending money

An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once the recipient of the funds has deposited the transfer. You must obtain a refund directly from the recipient. You can ask the recipient to send you an Interac e-Transfer for the refund amount.

http://www.interac.ca/en/interac-etransfer/etransfer-detail

If CaVirtex does not accept these transactions only makes sense that they are reversible yet Interac website says they are not.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:51:13 PM

An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once the recipient of the funds has deposited the transfer. You must obtain a refund directly from the recipient. You can ask the recipient to send you an Interac e-Transfer for the refund amount.

If CaVirtex does not accept these transactions only makes sense that they are reversible yet Interac website says they are not.

I would guess they are not talking about fraudulent transfers. They are saying there is no way for you to reverse a payment you've sent after it has been deposited. I assume that if you receive a transfer from a stolen account they would/could reverse it.
bitdigger2013

Activity: 397

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 05:22:29 PM

I would guess they are not talking about fraudulent transfers. They are saying there is no way for you to reverse a payment you've sent after it has been deposited. I assume that if you receive a transfer from a stolen account they would/could reverse it.

Yes that makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:35:36 AM

It definitly isn't: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=296300
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: