Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:55:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S7? LOL  (Read 3369 times)
charles2k

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 08:33:06 PM

I understand what you want to say, but your comparison is not entirely right.
First, you compare used card with new miner. Prices for such used cards are mostly higher.
And Antminers are usually rock stabil - this is not possible to say for GPU mining (I had in the past various 200 GPUs).
I had a lot of defective cards, very often I had switch on/off my GPU rigs.
Also GPU rigs are not so compact as Asic miners.

Wat. S7 used or new is same price, we can take a Used S7 priced at 800$ too if you want. And i dont know what you're doing to your GPUs but i got 0 failure in years. We can also take the price of a brand new 280x if you want, which is only 40$ more. The math is roughly the same.

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 09:48:56 PM

First, you compare used card with new miner. Prices for such used cards are mostly higher.
And Antminers are usually rock stabil - this is not possible to say for GPU mining (I had in the past various 200 GPUs).

Wat. S7 used or new is same price, we can take a Used S7 priced at 800$ too if you want. And i dont know what you're doing to your GPUs but i got 0 failure in years. We can also take the price of a brand new 280x if you want, which is only 40$ more. The math is roughly the same.

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

I wonder what GPUs those are. That is an INSANE amount of failure.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
charles2k

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 11:17:46 PM

It is not insane amount, it is common, when running 24h 1 year with a little overclocking in the room with high temp

mostly it was: MSI R9 270X, MSI R9 280X, Sapphire R9 290X (but also some trouble with Gigabyte R9 280X, Asus R9 280X)

But fortunately, most of them were in warranty.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:11:34 AM

It is not insane amount, it is common, when running 24h 1 year with a little overclocking in the room with high temp

mostly it was: MSI R9 270X, MSI R9 280X, Sapphire R9 290X (but also some trouble with Gigabyte R9 280X, Asus R9 280X)

I've had all of mine running 24h for 2 years now and i never had a failure, just annoying fans. 40 failures out of 200 is insane. I'm not sure what temps you were running them at though.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:30:10 AM

Maybe if you were mining SHA256/Scrypt then the failures rates were high because you were stressing the GPU to the max. Most new algos now like X11 or ETH don't stress the card as much.

Plus a GPU is much more reliable then an S7 which apparently has more failures rates.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 02:18:59 AM

I've had all of mine running 24h for 2 years now and i never had a failure, just annoying fans. 40 failures out of 200 is insane. I'm not sure what temps you were running them at though.

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:04:13 AM

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

Huhh, so i would push them hard actually and they would crash. No damage done, lower clock by 5mhz step until it stop crashing. I keep them at 65-75C, i never had a problem. Sound to me like the GPU's VRM must of overheated. Happens if the heatsink doesnt cool them down.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:35:11 AM

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

How is that different from mining with ASICS? Most people rely on resell value to get some sort of ROI.

That's why many people hate Bitmain for halving the price of the S7 and killing the resell value.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:40:20 AM

*shortned it was way to long of quote series

How is that different from mining with ASICS? Most people rely on resell value to get some sort of ROI.

That's why many people hate Bitmain for halving the price of the S7 and killing the resell value.

GPU/Asics are like apples and oranges.   You could bot on GPU's and count on getting 3/4 to full on some selling on seconday market to gamers or other GPU miners (this was a while ago I have not GPU mined in years).   But it was always very high on sell back.  And ROI time was around 90 day's which was pretty amazing.

Now asics.... they do not ROI anymore near 90 day's.  But beside that they never really did hold value like GPU as there is not that other market for them.  Go all the way back to asicminer block erupters... you sold less then you bought for.   So asics never sold for full on resell value you go into it knowing that.  
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:44:26 AM

*shortned again way to long of set of quotes

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

Huhh, so i would push them hard actually and they would crash. No damage done, lower clock by 5mhz step until it stop crashing. I keep them at 65-75C, i never had a problem. Sound to me like the GPU's VRM must of overheated. Happens if the heatsink doesnt cool them down.

It was not overheat trust me.  I remember one GPU as soon as I set it up on intensity to high... instant smoke out of cap on it.   I kept them all cool so was not a issue there, but I pushed them hard.

It was directly related to intensity of GPU settings.   They might have made it harder to do now I have not kept up with mining with GPU software, I'm would guess it has changed some in past few years.  I had all the proper risers to get more space and spread them out, there was great cooling.  So no issues on heat did not cheap out when making the rigs back then.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 07:13:22 AM

the comparison is a bit off because ETH is skyrocket at the moment, you should have compared the two whne bitcoin skyrocketed to 500 and the diff was 100B

or compare the two when ETH was at 360k satoshi
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:17:41 AM

Maybe if you were mining SHA256/Scrypt then the failures rates were high because you were stressing the GPU to the max. Most new algos now like X11 or ETH don't stress the card as much.

Plus a GPU is much more reliable then an S7 which apparently has more failures rates.

Thank you I have not kept up on mining algos on GPU's but it makes sense they don't stress it like they did back when I GPU mined.   It was so common for a card to go out when I had a decent amount of rigs I had a form letters for 2 different GPU card companies.   I had a lot of gigabyte as I really liked them.  And other one I also had was SAPPHIRE GPU's.  Seems crazy to some today but they would run out of GPU cards so many were purchasing so you could not always get the brand you wanted.

I know I pushed them.  But back then they had such good RMA coverage it would have been crazy not to push.  I conspired it a cost of business sending in for RMA when dealing with a decent amount of GPUs.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:28:09 PM

It was not overheat trust me.  I remember one GPU as soon as I set it up on intensity to high... instant smoke out of cap on it.   I kept them all cool so was not a issue there, but I pushed them hard.

It was directly related to intensity of GPU settings.   They might have made it harder to do now I have not kept up with mining with GPU software, I'm would guess it has changed some in past few years.  I had all the proper risers to get more space and spread them out, there was great cooling.  So no issues on heat did not cheap out when making the rigs back then.

Well i remember in the Scrypt era, i heard a few people break their GPU's, but when i did tests myself, my 280x would do 745Kh/s and if i took diff from 13 to 18, they would work insanely high, get 765Kh/s but pool side there would be not that much of a difference.

Imo i dont think a 2% speed difference thats not even fully effective is worth doing high intensity vs low. Certainly not worth the downtime of having to RMA Gpus.
But thats just me i guess.

the comparison is a bit off because ETH is skyrocket at the moment, you should have compared the two whne bitcoin skyrocketed to 500 and the diff was 100B

or compare the two when ETH was at 360k satoshi

Its plenty comparable, i been mining ETH for a while now and even when it was crashing low, it was pretty close to S5's profit on a per watt profit.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Biodom
Legendary

Merit: 3869

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:30:44 PM

Since this is now in speculation, I would like to point out the following:

1. Eth is now 2nd coin by the market cap with $5.25/Eth. Still, just 7% of btc market cap; will probably go to at least 10%.
There are already ~77 mil Eth, its market cap is $400 mil and daily trading volume is ~1/4 of btc, so it went from an alt to a somewhat serious contender.

2. Eth is now being taking seriously by the ecosystem. 57% think that it will play a large role.

3. Investment sentiment toward BTC is really bad: ~90% between lukewarm and "bubonic plaque"
reference to #2 and #3 here:
https://medium.com/boost-vc/boost-vc-bitcoin-sentiment-in-pie-charts-8d81731664b7

4. too little coding and too much debating in btc, hence a sense of exhaustion.

5. growth in btc hashing power that is uncorrelated with transaction growth, discouraging individual participation.
I think that POW algorithm in btc needs some mods.

My conclusions:

a. should have bought more eth for btc hedging in the last 6 mo. It is up almost 800% from the lows.
b. btc is probably about to go up since investors usually have no clue and bad sentiment is typically bullish.
c. as far as eth mining-I might try it at very low scale with 750 Ti just for fun.

IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 07:34:28 PM

Interesting thread, thanks to OP for starting it off.

I have been mining ETH with GPU for a little while now a week and a half basically and did pool mining at first for a little while but thought I would give Solomining a try.

Has not been too bad, only have one R9 280X with around 24MH/s hashrate and I found two blocks in 3 days which I thought was quite good going.

Will leave it running for a couple more days before going away as don't want it on when I can not keep an eye on it.

Mining ETH on a GPU does not stress it as much as what Scrypt did, that's for sure, from what i can see.

With Scrypt running at full hashrate, it was hard to do anything else on your PC but with ETH even when mining, you can still do other tasks without it affecting things.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:13:25 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2016, 01:43:45 AM by notlist3d

It was directly related to intensity of GPU settings.   They might have made it harder to do now I have not kept up with mining with GPU software, I'm would guess it has changed some in past few years.  I had all the proper risers to get more space and spread them out, there was great cooling.  So no issues on heat did not cheap out when making the rigs back then.

Well i remember in the Scrypt era, i heard a few people break their GPU's, but when i did tests myself, my 280x would do 745Kh/s and if i took diff from 13 to 18, they would work insanely high, get 765Kh/s but pool side there would be not that much of a difference.

Imo i dont think a 2% speed difference thats not even fully effective is worth doing high intensity vs low. Certainly not worth the downtime of having to RMA Gpus.

You say it was due to temperature, you did not even know it could happen due to intensity.  Then you turn into a expert again.   When you say your 280x are you saying you mined during it with 1 GPU?   You have to understand 1 GPU compared to many rigs is like apples and oranges.  

Also different brand 280x and models got different speeds, had different best settings.  There was not a 280x setting that was for all. You act like a 280x is one single item. Different ones preformed different there all brands/models did not get same speed. Look back and you will see this.  Look at RMA's back then it was common if you had a sizable amount to have do them.   It's not that you wanted to it was a cost of doing business.

The best question is why let this go further?  There is no point to argue GPU mining from years ago.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:45:19 AM

You say it was due to temperature, you did not even know it could happen due to intensity.  Then you turn into a expert again.   When you say your 280x are you saying you mined during it with 1 GPU?   You have to understand 1 GPU compared to many rigs is like apples and oranges.  

Also different brand 280x and models got different speeds, had different best settings.  There was not a 280x setting that was for all. You act like a 280x is one single item. Different ones preformed different there all brands/models did not get same speed. Look back and you will see this.  Look at RMA's back then it was common if you had a sizable amount to have do them.   It's not that you wanted to it was a cost of doing business.

The best question is why let this go further?  There is no point to argue GPU mining from years ago.

I had 4 rigs, Tri-X and Gigabyte Rev 2. I picked these two from said considerations.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
ALBORCA

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 04:59:17 AM

I have been mining ETH with GPU for a little while now a week and a half basically and did pool mining at first for a little while but thought I would give Solomining a try.

Has not been too bad, only have one R9 280X with around 24MH/s hashrate and I found two blocks in 3 days which I thought was quite good going.

Will leave it running for a couple more days before going away as don't want it on when I can not keep an eye on it.

Mining ETH on a GPU does not stress it as much as what Scrypt did, that's for sure, from what i can see.

With Scrypt running at full hashrate, it was hard to do anything else on your PC but with ETH even when mining, you can still do other tasks without it affecting things.

have you tired the r9 390s and how much hash can you get out of them?!? Huh

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7863

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2016, 05:18:26 AM

R9's 390s cost a lot.   They do 27-30 a card

I did get four from Amazon warehouse at 291 each which is a good priced.  Used 30 day return policy

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 06:02:25 AM

i'm with nvidia on this thing, i'm still getting 22 mega per card, but etheruem is not the best profitabe coin at the moment, there are new shitcoi that are more profitable, loco, thecred, and the recent feathercoin

also 390 consumption is too high, i'm sitting around 160w per gpu with my small rig made of 970
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: