Print  
Author Topic: Wifi  (Read 966 times)
Zeke2345 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 07:23:55 PM

Bit ignorant when it comes to wifi. I can change the channel and passwords and move the antenna on the router. Grin

If some one has a wifi password can they do anything besides surf on their own laptop or device?

Dumb question but its egging at me...

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 08:06:56 PM

Bit ignorant when it comes to wifi. I can change the channel and passwords and move the antenna on the router. Grin

If some one has a wifi password can they do anything besides surf on their own laptop or device?

Dumb question but its egging at me...

Depends on your internal network security. Someone that knows your WiFi password is part of your local network unless you have measures to defend against that. If you e.g. share files in your network without protection, someone with network access can read (or write depending on your settings) these files.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bizerinm

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 10:13:10 PM

Depends of your security settings..using your net is the best can happen to you. Always there are warnings to avoid wifi connection because of security

$1000 USA ITunes Gift Card   https://payivy.com/v/c05a7
10x XBOX LIVE 12 MONTH GOLD SUBSCRIPTION https://payivy.com/v/bc48b
100$ starbucks egift card - never expire 40$ https://payivy.com/v/3b954
Fandango GIFT CARD Value $50 - 20$ https://payivy.com/v/d77b4
500$ Itunes gift card for USA https://payivy.com/v/d7a9e
Zeke2345 (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 10:24:37 PM

This is most likely my next step figuring out how the security works. Little worried about it lately due to the amount of people I see on each channel when I check the wifi around me. Tells me that people are either getting stronger signals or there just a ton more people moving to the net around me. I can pick up about 4 households per channel.
Other reason I was asking is I stopped into a bitcoin/atm type setup and they gave me the password to their personal wifi. Was faster than the cafes and I suddenly thought they could be exploited by allowing this in the future by a savy person no where near my ilk.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 08:51:06 AM

This is most likely my next step figuring out how the security works. Little worried about it lately due to the amount of people I see on each channel when I check the wifi around me. Tells me that people are either getting stronger signals or there just a ton more people moving to the net around me. I can pick up about 4 households per channel.

If they run wifi on the same channel they are not in your network though. That might cause collisions and lower your bandwith, but its not a security risk.

Other reason I was asking is I stopped into a bitcoin/atm type setup and they gave me the password to their personal wifi. Was faster than the cafes and I suddenly thought they could be exploited by allowing this in the future by a savy person no where near my ilk.

Most public wifi is separated from the rest of the network and just a gateway to the internet. If you have a somewhat decent router that can run e.g. OpenWRT (or if it has similar features by default) you can isolate wifi users from your cable network and each other.

All that aside though, if you have no services (e.g. shared folders) you expose on your network there is next to no attack surface.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 10:18:18 AM

I need to find out more about WiFi permissions. I can run Bitcoin core in McDonalds without "activating" their WiFi with a splash page or password. If I then want to visit bitcointalk, I need to activate the WiFi. Another case - I was in a supermarket last night drinking a coffee, and attempting to use their wifi to finalise an escrow transaction. Before I could log into their service, Win !0 decided to upgrade. I had to restart about 4 times, and on one occasion, it gave me a temp login, so heavens knows what they were up to. They must have found a valid net connection, because, when it had finished, I had to log in to access the escrow web site. I guess what I am saying is that these passwords only seem to control web access, and not most of the other ports. It might be something to check on home routers.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Zeke2345 (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 07:13:30 PM

Jet Cash this has more to do with permissions you have on the phone. I had all kinds of garbage wanting to upgrade that where connected to google and did not want. It took a well to cancel them but worth it. Only issue is when you need to use any google product it wants you to upgrade everything.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 10:35:52 PM

Jet Cash this has more to do with permissions you have on the phone. I had all kinds of garbage wanting to upgrade that where connected to google and did not want. It took a well to cancel them but worth it. Only issue is when you need to use any google product it wants you to upgrade everything.

You know updates are not bad for you, right? Its the way developers close vulnerabilities, among other things.

Zeke2345 (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:26:50 PM

You know updates are not bad for you, right? Its the way developers close vulnerabilities, among other things.

I know but I did not want google hangouts tracking me. Google would not allow me to use any other features till I activated it at first.

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 02:28:07 AM

At every hotel I capture all the packets and see what I can see. Encrypt everything. Sad

Ashwell John

Activity: 185

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 09:09:34 AM

I am on the cable network. Though wifi is available onto my area. But I am quite please with cable connection.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 09:25:55 AM

I know but I did not want google hangouts tracking me. Google would not allow me to use any other features till I activated it at first.

I never had that problem. I had hangouts disabled for years up until a few months ago when I needed it for someone. I disabled it once I no longer needed it and Im never asked to update it.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 01:20:30 PM

I never had that problem. I had hangouts disabled for years up until a few months ago when I needed it for someone. I disabled it once I no longer needed it and Im never asked to update it.

I'm a cynic, I think that those vulnerabilities were introduced in the last update. It's just annoying to have to go through Microsoft's stuff to check to see what they have re-activated or introduced. Don't forget that I believe that Win98SE was the last stable OS that came out of Microsoft. Smiley I quite like hangouts, but I only use it on the Chromebook, everything on there goes into the Google cloud, so I'm careful what I do on it.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Zeke2345 (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:30:14 PM

At every hotel I capture all the packets and see what I can see. Encrypt everything. Sad

How is this done?

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:54:15 PM

How is this done?

The protection works only on your system and the router, so random people can't access your and your host's devices, but they still can listen, just like every radio can be made to listen to ham reports.
There are video tutorials that explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlaG8eB_FW4

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Zeke2345 (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 07:03:57 PM

How is this done?

The protection works only on your system and the router, so random people can't access your and your host's devices, but they still can listen, just like every radio can be made to listen to ham reports.
There are video tutorials that explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlaG8eB_FW4

Will check that link out when I get home. Have always wanted to know how that all worked.

treeguard

Activity: 133

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 08:05:50 PM

i actually dont have any wifi connection now in my apartment, i must admit that its hard to live without it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: