Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:20:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Users to Disable Java (Important News)  (Read 1983 times)
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:07:36 AM

Thanks, I'm done.

That's one thing we agree on :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:30:07 AM

in some things java is MUCH faster.

Whenever this is the case (which is rare), the C++ program can always be made faster. The reverse is not true of Java. HotSpot is itself written in C++, so no Java program is going to be faster than an optimal C++ program.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
vampire

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 08:33:27 PM

in some things java is MUCH faster.

Whenever this is the case (which is rare), the C++ program can always be made faster. The reverse is not true of Java. HotSpot is itself written in C++, so no Java program is going to be faster than an optimal C++ program.

JVM can optimize on a fly for a target CPU, C++ cannot (like detecting if the cpu support SSE3/SSE4.1 instructions, so it would optimize better for Intel or AMD cpus). If you deploy a same binary across 100 different x86 cpus, java would optimize better for each of them - Atom, Pentium 4, AMD, etc.

Java in general is faster in memory alloc/dealloc.

Java can also optimize the bytecode on the fly, like inlining of the library functions. Can't really do that with static compiling.

Why it theoretically possible to implement the same in C++, practically its already done in Java out of the box. Yes, Java would lose to optimally written C++ program.. But when you run a C++ program designed for Intel SSE4.1 on a AMD cpu, java will simply optimize for AMD.

I written a lot of C/C++ code, it may be not so bad if you're the only person on the project. But when you have 100 people, Java IS so much better. Strong typing with verbosity helps a lot to understand what the heck 100 people wrote over 5 years.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 10:05:01 PM

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/US-Government-Department-of-Homeland-Security-Tells-Computer-Users-to-Disable-Java-186580121.html

Computer users are being advised by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks.

I'm ignorant on stuff like this, but deemed it important for the community.

NITE, ALL! (for real this time)
I never run Chrome with Java or other plugins active.

Won't that cause me to not be able to view YouTube videos?

As I've stated in the OP, I haven't a clue.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 10:22:54 PM

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/US-Government-Department-of-Homeland-Security-Tells-Computer-Users-to-Disable-Java-186580121.html

Computer users are being advised by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks.

Youtube vids use flash, not java. Some games use java, but ~95% of computer users will never notice that they've turned off java.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 10:36:59 PM

wasn't just a bitcoin site hacked because of Ruby on Rails?
You're comparing a language and a framework. Boo.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 11:13:10 PM

Youtube vids use flash, not java. Some games use java, but ~95% of computer users will never notice that they've turned off java.

Would turning off Java speed up the computer?
vampire

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 11:13:18 PM

wasn't just a bitcoin site hacked because of Ruby on Rails?
You're comparing a language and a framework. Boo.

Am I? I am somewhat confused since I haven't heard that Java Applets become a language. Last time I checked it was a framework.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 11:24:41 PM

Would turning off Java speed up the computer?
Unless it's set up to always run (a possibility, but not, I think, the default option), no. It's usually something invoked when needed.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 02:40:26 AM

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Oracle Corp. said Monday it has released a fix for the flaw in its Java software that raised an alarm from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security last week.

Even after the patch was issued, the federal agency continued to recommend that users disable Java in their Web browsers.
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Oracle+releases+patch+Java+that+fixes+flaw+Homeland+Security/7818742/story.html#ixzz2I6PXnjTN
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 08:21:30 AM

Interesting they only mention disabling it on computers - I'm pretty sure many late model phones use Java too.

I don't think the exploit affects mobile phones, unless i'm wrong
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 07:28:08 PM

Anyone know if this stuff affects services running on Java, like Freenet?

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2013, 09:09:10 PM by adamstgBit

i think the thing is, you should disable java because someone could write some very dangerous viruses / key logger, and just by visiting a site you could get infected, if you have java enabled just make sure you go to trusted places you should be fine.

can someone correct or confirm this ?

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 08:26:53 PM

anyway lets all do it...
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/

i normally never install java, but their was a site i wanted to see that needed java... so i was like fuck it why not... bad move  Tongue

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

Huh? I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Java is one the best languages out there, C# may be slight better designed. But it doesn't run on 100 platforms. And these securities issues, wasn't just a bitcoin site hacked because of Ruby on Rails? And the best online wallet runs on Java??? LOL.

I have always thought Java sucked... Isn't java an interpreted language and this is why it can run anywhere?
my view is that it all sucks balls, everything barely hangs together, the web-code is one half baked idea thrown on top of another, and its only getting more convoluted as time goes on.
Time for evolution to kick in and kill off alot of crap? why do i have a feeling its going to take millions of years  Tongue?

scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 10:06:01 PM

i think the thing is, you should disable java because someone could write some very dangerous viruses / key logger, and just by visiting a site you could get infected, if you have java enabled just make sure you go to trusted places you should be fine.

That kind of makes sense, although I guess there are levels of security - untrusted code, and then what it has access to, etc.

Quote from: adamstgBit
I have always thought Java sucked... Isn't java an interpreted language and this is why it can run anywhere?
my view is that it all sucks balls, everything barely hangs together, the web-code is one half baked idea thrown on top of another, and its only getting more convoluted as time goes on.

As I understand it, Java compilers are pretty efficient these days. Android apps are written in Java apparently - but don't get Java the language confused with Java the compatible-compilers - Android apps don't run on Oracle's Java engine. Oracle seem to be the problem more than "Java" in this case.

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
vampire

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:29:14 AM

Huh? I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Java is one the best languages out there, C# may be slight better designed. But it doesn't run on 100 platforms. And these securities issues, wasn't just a bitcoin site hacked because of Ruby on Rails? And the best online wallet runs on Java??? LOL.

Time for evolution to kick in and kill off alot of crap? why do i have a feeling its going to take millions of years  Tongue?

Well that's a wrong view. Java is fast, well aside from ASM/C/C++ it kills anything in performance Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl....

The applet API is outdated. You cant really write a secure sandbox in the environment that isn't designed from scratch for one. JVM wasn't designed to be secure as a linux kernel, and java applets are probably the only case of the java app being sandboxed. Android apps are sandboxed via an *nix kernel.

Oracle VM isn't the only one around.. Linux comes with an open source by default.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:09:50 PM

You can disable Java in your browser (which this thread is about), this will not affect stand-alone applications using Java, like Freenet or Freemind.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: