Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:23:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not a single coin with multiple blockchains?  (Read 492 times)
monsanto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 07:36:43 AM

Here is my idea: You have a single coin, with a single wallet, that has multiple independent blockchains. So you'd have Netcoin1, Netcoin2, Netcoin3... Netcoin10.  You could start with as many blockchains as you'd like (although number is set at the start), with a total preset number of total coins identical for each.

This way you would have with 10 blockchains, each an equivalent size to bitcoin's, the same as 10x the transaction volume of BTC. They would all use a single wallet, with a shapeshift like system (or decentralized if possible) for trading between chains that could only exchange 1:1. All coins would be considered equal. This way instead of worrying about increasing the block size, you have parallel blockchains of a smaller size.

This would also incentive miners to keep the hashrates equivalent, as they would jump back and forth to find lower difficulty. The average user could have their coins spread over many blockchains, and the wallet would choose the one that is currently cheapest and fastest to use for any particular transaction.

Obviously this is just a rough sketch of an idea, but why wouldn't something like this work?  Huh
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 08:26:01 AM

I believe that you would need to keep the whole history of a Bitcoin in the same chain, this would get difficult if you tried to combine coins from different chains in a new transaction. It's not the storage space that's the problem, and your solution wouldn't reduce that anyway. In fact it would probably increase it as you would need to add a chain identifier to each transaction.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
monsanto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:55:13 AM

I believe that you would need to keep the whole history of a Bitcoin in the same chain, this would get difficult if you tried to combine coins from different chains in a new transaction. It's not the storage space that's the problem, and your solution wouldn't reduce that anyway. In fact it would probably increase it as you would need to add a chain identifier to each transaction.

I'm not suggesting keeping the entire history on a single chain. I'm saying the chains are independent, yet identical in terms of technical specs, and joined together in a wallet system.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 09:22:20 AM

I'm not suggesting keeping the entire history on a single chain. I'm saying the chains are independent, yet identical in terms of technical specs, and joined together in a wallet system.

Yeah, but this also means 10 times (plus new overhead) costs for running a full node in terms of storage.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 09:26:32 AM

Multiple blockchains already means they are different systems. Do you mean you have two different accounting for the same company- one for legal and one for illegal?
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 09:29:26 AM

We are about to have this happening!!

Bitcoins on 3 different blockchains: bitcoincore, bitcoin-XT and bitcoinclassic!

arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 09:42:36 AM

Why we must think how to complicate things more?
We have greater problems, for example blockchain is large and you need 50gb hdd to store it .
Better find out how to reduce size of it..
yenxz

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:27:12 AM

Here is my idea: You have a single coin, with a single wallet, that has multiple independent blockchains. So you'd have Netcoin1, Netcoin2, Netcoin3... Netcoin10.  You could start with as many blockchains as you'd like (although number is set at the start), with a total preset number of total coins identical for each.

This way you would have with 10 blockchains, each an equivalent size to bitcoin's, the same as 10x the transaction volume of BTC. They would all use a single wallet, with a shapeshift like system (or decentralized if possible) for trading between chains that could only exchange 1:1. All coins would be considered equal. This way instead of worrying about increasing the block size, you have parallel blockchains of a smaller size.

This would also incentive miners to keep the hashrates equivalent, as they would jump back and forth to find lower difficulty. The average user could have their coins spread over many blockchains, and the wallet would choose the one that is currently cheapest and fastest to use for any particular transaction.

Obviously this is just a rough sketch of an idea, but why wouldn't something like this work?  Huh
great idea,but hard to achieve it. maybe blockchain just want to provide precious and expensive coin,not cheap and scamable coin Grin
mavrick951

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

We are about to have this happening!!

Bitcoins on 3 different blockchains: bitcoincore, bitcoin-XT and bitcoinclassic!

Not sure if you are kidding, but this would not be as good as you put it. Instead, only one stream would survive in the end, which is not necessarily good, right?
HardFlaccid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:09:27 PM

I'm not an expert on it, in fact my knowledge is very limited, but I don't think it's possible for a single coin to have multiple blockchains!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: