Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:53:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed] Looking for a several users to mediate during Rein's alpha  (Read 1267 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 04:53:35 AM

Hi there,

This sounds like a interesting project, I am truly interested, I understand this is basically in "alpha" mode but do mediator get paid in bitcoin for each "task" ? Also I can easily start up 10 vps with my cloud account, are you paying for servers deployed for this project too?

I can not do this RIGHT now but I can start tomorrow.
Yes, mediators get their percentage of each job for which they are chosen even in the alpha. While the software is immature, I fully intend to get real economic activity running through it asap. If you put in a fee of 5% and I choose you on a 0.25 btc job, you'd get 0.0125 btc and likely the most you'll have to do is sign the transaction paying yourself. Worst case you have to investigate then build and sign the transaction paying the winning party(ies).

I'm running the first two servers and another couple would be great! The server doesn't have any payment processing built in yet but that will come so it's charity (or because you will extract some value from the platform) until then. Here's the best server setup doc so far https://github.com/ReinProject/causeway/blob/master/doc/server_setup.md

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheGrimm

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 05:01:30 AM

Hi there,

This sounds like a interesting project, I am truly interested, I understand this is basically in "alpha" mode but do mediator get paid in bitcoin for each "task" ? Also I can easily start up 10 vps with my cloud account, are you paying for servers deployed for this project too?

I can not do this RIGHT now but I can start tomorrow.
Yes, mediators get their percentage of each job for which they are chosen even in the alpha. While the software is immature, I fully intend to get real economic activity running through it asap. If you put in a fee of 5% and I choose you on a 0.25 btc job, you'd get 0.0125 btc and likely the most you'll have to do is sign the transaction paying yourself. Worst case you have to investigate then build and sign the transaction paying the winning party(ies).

I'm running the first two servers and another couple would be great! The server doesn't have any payment processing built in yet but that will come so it's charity (or because you will extract some value from the platform) until then. Here's the best server setup doc so far https://github.com/ReinProject/causeway/blob/master/doc/server_setup.md

Ok I am interested and I will have a go at it tomorrow, the only thing that has me peeved is having to install bitcoin core :-/, but no worries if you approve me for this I will do a fresh install from a VPS and will provide a more in dept install guide seem this does seem like a pretty neat idea.

But as others mentioned, shouldn't the mediator be trusted first? maybe I missed a post - I am half asleep .

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 05:26:33 AM

I agree that mediators should be trusted but you have to start somewhere. Right now there are no mediators so in the market, you have no competition. Actually I can't stop you from signing up to be one but I'm only considering to pay bid amounts if they have some rep.

If you want to be able to charge more for your mediation of jobs, you would probably want to prove that you are trusted by connecting your profile with your trusted ID on other platforms. Keybase shows how this is done. Post signed statement to BitcoinTalk claiming that "you're such and such user on Rein and TheGrimm on BitcoinTalk". This would be signed by your Rein master address and as long as that post is up somewhere the link is established.

I think a lot of reputation stuff can be in the Rein client python-rein but it'll take some time.
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 09:18:04 AM

Huh, looks like I'm the only mediator. It wasn't really that hard to set up at all.

Code:
root@bdf33d694ffb:~/python-rein# rein post
0 - bitspill - Fee: 1.0% - Public key: 025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0eb
Choose a mediator (q to quit): ^CAborted!

To recover an account is it as easy as running setup again with the same address/keys or are there any other critical files saved locally to backup?

Is it possible to change the mediator fee after setup or is it locked in, for the time being?

Running `rein resolve/workerdispute/creatordispute` should exit after printing "None found" skipping the prompt to quit, in the way `rein accept/bid/deliver` already do.

Backspace doesn't seem to behave properly displaying `^H` instead, unless my terminal is acting up... If it's a known issue I'm not going to bother explaining, if it's questionable let me know and I'll detail it further.

If I create a job and saved the file locally is it possible to delete it and not sync it to the network?

I created a job, bid on it, but now `rein accept` doesn't show it. I'm the poster, bidder, and mediator, probably not ideal Tongue

Is it correct that I am both the only mediator and only job postings right now or am I not syncing properly?

Otherwise it looks like a cool project so far!

{ BitSpill }
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 04:46:45 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2016, 05:37:55 PM by weex

Huh, looks like I'm the only mediator. It wasn't really that hard to set up at all.

Code:
root@bdf33d694ffb:~/python-rein# rein post
0 - bitspill - Fee: 1.0% - Public key: 025a19c3aa027e9114a2f79b6e2f76d85c5b3fb59723ea9dba97e019f1f751d0eb
Choose a mediator (q to quit): ^CAborted!

To recover an account is it as easy as running setup again with the same address/keys or are there any other critical files saved locally to backup?
At least for the first identity a file called backup-rein.json is created but that was one of the first things I built. It's probably better to backup the file ~/.rein/local.db as that's where all client-side information is stored.

Is it possible to change the mediator fee after setup or is it locked in, for the time being?
Locked in or indeterminate. In order to allow replacement, a client needs to be able to put enrollments in time-order. Since there is no time in the enrollment and a timestamp can't be trusted, it's not in there yet. Later, we'll include a block hash and the Causeway servers will be able to help provide that by having a local copy of Core running or the option for python-rein to talk to a local Bitcoin Core node would be even better.

Running `rein resolve/workerdispute/creatordispute` should exit after printing "None found" skipping the prompt to quit, in the way `rein accept/bid/deliver` already do.
I thought I fixed this but just saw your pull request. It probably makes sense to merge that, do testing and tag a second alpha this weekend since there have been some other improvements like a testnet mode.

Backspace doesn't seem to behave properly displaying `^H` instead, unless my terminal is acting up... If it's a known issue I'm not going to bother explaining, if it's questionable let me know and I'll detail it further.
This is just terminal behavior. I just hit Ctrl-C if I run into any problems like that.

If I create a job and saved the file locally is it possible to delete it and not sync it to the network?
To do this, you'd need to fire up an sqlite3 client.
Code:
sqlite3 ~/.rein/local.db
Then find the document you want to remove with
Code:
sqlite> select id, doc_type, contents from document;
The output would show you something like
Code:
49|enrollment|-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Rein User Enrollment.....
And you could use the number where the 49 is (before the document type which is in this case an enrollment) in the following command.
Code:
sqlite> delete from document where id = 49 limit 1;
Before you attempt this, backup that local.db file in case anything goes wrong.
I guess this is a feature request! Smiley

I created a job, bid on it, but now `rein accept` doesn't show it. I'm the poster, bidder, and mediator, probably not ideal Tongue
Yeah, very inventive Tongue. I'm not sure whether this should be fixed.

Is it correct that I am both the only mediator and only job postings right now or am I not syncing properly?
This is correct. Congratulations and thank you for being the first!
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 05:01:25 AM

I would be glad to apply for 0.03 BTC; are you still looking for other mediators?

I've just discovered this project and I'm very excited: I dreamed something similar years ago, and now I find a working prototype!

Ciao!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 05:52:42 AM

I would be glad to apply for 0.03 BTC; are you still looking for other mediators?

I've just discovered this project and I'm very excited: I dreamed something similar years ago, and now I find a working prototype!

Ciao!
Application accepted! Going to close this now, though so you are the last.

If you'd care to, I would like to hear about what you were thinking about so long ago and if there were any snags that stopped you from pursuing it then.
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 06:22:06 AM

Application accepted!
Thank you!

I should be active in 1 or 2 days.

Going to close this now, though so you are the last.
Cheesy

I would like to hear about what you were thinking about so long ago
Nothing defined: I hoped to use a decentralized version of [lots of websites].

and if there were any snags that stopped you from pursuing it then.
Only one: I have some skills in software development, but I'm not a professional programmer, so I considered it over my limits.

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 02:16:49 PM

I would be glad to apply for 0.03 BTC
I'm ready!

ECB Report, October 2012
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 03:41:11 PM

I would be glad to apply for 0.03 BTC
I'm ready!
Nice job...looks like a fee market is forming Smiley PM me your address.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: