Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:24:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin round table  (Read 2826 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2016, 04:24:46 AM by johnyj

This is your new Federal Reserve  Grin

https://medium.com/@bitcoinroundtable/a-call-for-consensus-d96d5560d8d6#.rtyxn51c7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:16:03 PM

Roll Eyes

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:36:10 PM

Welcome centralization,we're expecting this.The comment that caught my attention was right below the article and makes sense."The pool administrators who have signed this statement represent ~90% of the hashing power on the network, but this does not necessarily represent the miners themselves.
I advise any Bitcoin miners belonging to these pools, who feel misrepresented by this statement, to join pools (or form them) that will advance Bitcoin’s hard fork to 2 MB."
And there's more : https://medium.com/@drwasho/the-pool-administrators-who-have-signed-this-statement-represent-70-of-the-hashing-power-on-the-4fbdca201778#.skcl9nhbf
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 03:43:17 PM

Welcome centralization,we're expecting this.The comment that caught my attention was right below the article and makes sense."The pool administrators who have signed this statement represent ~90% of the hashing power on the network, but this does not necessarily represent the miners themselves.
That guy is trying to spread FUD about Core's intentions. It seems like these kinds of attacks have just begun. If you want to drink the kool-aid and submit to such, go ahead. The miners won't risk reducing the value of their coins.

This is your new Federal Reserve  Grin
It seems like you guys are salty.  Wink

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:46:06 PM

Another TBF, let's see how far they go Wink

I doubt at this stage, a hard fork becomes inevitable, you can't walk towards east and west at the same time. Satoshi's 1 million coins will make sure the chain he does not like sink to the bottom of the sea

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 03:53:45 PM

This can't even be compared to the TBF. Stop your rumbling. It is the end of BU and Classic. I wonder what the next controversial HF will be called, 'Bitcoin Original' maybe?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 03:55:01 PM

Nah, it doesn't represent the miners OR the pool operators.
Same pool operators were pro-core after LukeJr. threatened them, then pro-Classic when the threat proved to be trolling, now again pro-Core after having been granted a seat @ Bitcoin Bilderberg Group.
That guy is trying to spread FUD about Core's intentions. It seems like these kinds of attacks have just begun. If you want to drink the kool-aid and submit to such, go ahead. The miners won't risk reducing the value of their coins.
Miners don't hold their coins, they *sell* them to the highest bidder. That bidder is, inevitably, the guy with fiat money, not the guy with BTC. Duh.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 04:01:24 PM

-snip-

When you "have the support of the pools", they are important and represent all the miners, but when you don't then they aren't and don't represent anything. You're making it too obvious and easy.  Roll Eyes
Classic is DOA.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 04:20:06 PM

Same pool operators were pro-core after LukeJr. threatened them, then pro-Classic when the threat proved to be trolling, now again pro-Core after having been granted a seat @ Bitcoin Bilderberg Group.
Keep drinking the kool-aid. Classic is DOA.

When you "have the support of the pools", they are important and represent all the miners, but when you don't then they aren't and don't represent anything. You're making it too obvious and easy.  Roll Eyes

Only suggesting that the miners (pool operators) will say whatever suits the moment. Real, rational human beings can't possibly bounce from one extreme to the other thrice within a month.
The whole thing is fueled by [petty] backroom dealings & [equally petty] posturing, making it painfully clear how Bitcoin really works; that Bitcoin's consensus mechanism is a muddled junkie's pipe dream. Though, I concede, somewhat funnier & less practical.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 04:55:12 PM

This can't even be compared to the TBF. Stop your rumbling. It is the end of BU and Classic. I wonder what the next controversial HF will be called, 'Bitcoin Original' maybe?

Really? I see a surge of classic nodes following the announcement, and this time they are switching from existing core nodes, core nodes counts are dropping

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 05:11:39 PM

Really? I see a surge of classic nodes following the announcement
Here we go again. When the number of nodes is not in favor of a controversial HF then you guys claim that it does not really matter, but as soon as the numbers start growing then they suddenly do.  Roll Eyes
The number of nodes is not a reliable metric.

and this time they are switching from existing core nodes, core nodes counts are dropping
Jan 29:
Classic 0.11.2: 22 Nodes
Core (all versions total): 3796
Other: 1695

Feb 10:
Classic 0.11.2: 589
Core (all versions total): 3825
Other: 1395.

"Switching", "dropping".  Roll Eyes

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:16:50 PM

Really? I see a surge of classic nodes following the announcement
Here we go again. When the number of nodes is not in favor of a controversial HF then you guys claim that it does not really matter, but as soon as the numbers start growing then they suddenly do.  Roll Eyes
The number of nodes is not a reliable metric.

and this time they are switching from existing core nodes, core nodes counts are dropping
Jan 29:
Classic 0.11.2: 22 Nodes
Core (all versions total): 3796
Other: 1695

Feb 10:
Classic 0.11.2: 589
Core (all versions total): 3825
Other: 1395.

"Switching", "dropping".  Roll Eyes

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 05:24:52 PM

-snip-
That's quite unreliable as you can't see the exact numbers. All I can clearly see is mostly XT nodes switching to Classic and Core nodes fluctuating as always.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 05:32:42 PM

What a shame that Bitcoin users can only vote with their feet. Without users, the whole system will die.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:45:35 PM

And this is exactly why I'm not so sure about Bitcoins future in general any more... I mean c'mon... really???  There has to be a better/more democratic way to decide these things, and not have the top tier of miners and devs deciding Bitcoins fate from here on out.  What happened to the idea of getting away from centralization and the Fed?  I guess this ideal doesn't really matter to people any more, and people are only buying into Bitcoin for speculation of making a couple extra dollars...

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:51:44 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2016, 06:45:32 PM by franky1

that chart needs changing..

the "core" nodes should be separated out so that the ones running the most recent update are categorised as deciding not to go for 2mb.. and those with older versions of core are categorised as "undecided".

then atleast it would be a fairer view of current situation. because not all people running core right now want to stick to 1mb so shouldnt be shelved into the same category that indicates they want to stick to 1mb.

surprisingly for once Lauda is using stats that is more representable of the network.. where only 0.7% increased in favour of core, but 9.7% decided on classic based on the changes between the 2 dates lauda linked

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 05:53:10 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2016, 06:06:34 PM by Lauda

And this is exactly why I'm not so sure about Bitcoins future in general any more... I mean c'mon... really???  There has to be a better/more democratic way to decide these things, and not have the top tier of miners and devs deciding Bitcoins fate from here on out.  
This is not really centralized and it works. You have two options: 1. Vote with your hashing power; 2. Vote by running nodes. You can't really blame Bitcoin if you lack the capital to compete with others.
This is really not a good way to explain it. There is no voting whatsoever. Bitcoin is about individual sovereignty. People (who run full nodes) can't be coerced into accepting a rule violation except economically.

What a shame that Bitcoin users can only vote with their feet. Without users, the whole system will die.
Judging from the situation that we're presented with, the majority still supports Core and a lot of the users don't really care (i.e. aren't involved in 'politics').

Updated post.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 05:57:06 PM

And this is exactly why I'm not so sure about Bitcoins future in general any more... I mean c'mon... really???  There has to be a better/more democratic way to decide these things, and not have the top tier of miners and devs deciding Bitcoins fate from here on out.  What happened to the idea of getting away from centralization and the Fed?  I guess this ideal doesn't really matter to people any more, and people are only buying into Bitcoin for speculation of making a couple extra dollars...

“A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees. [...] Thus the [Bitcoin] dream turned belly up, turned green, bobbed to the scummy surface of cupidity unlimited, filled with gas, went bang in the noonday sun.”
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 06:07:17 PM

And this is exactly why I'm not so sure about Bitcoins future in general any more... I mean c'mon... really???  There has to be a better/more democratic way to decide these things, and not have the top tier of miners and devs deciding Bitcoins fate from here on out. 
This is not really centralized and it works. You have two options: 1. Vote with your hashing power; 2. Vote by running nodes. You can't really blame Bitcoin if you lack the capital to compete with others.

Bitcoin wasn't created and intended for only rich people... it was created and intended to allow people to be their own banks and freedom of the Fed.  To say that the only people who can "vote", in a sense, are the people who have acquired the most capital during these years Bitcoin has been around is seriously fucked up.  Also, miners doesn't really seem to "vote" with their hashing power and distribution of nodes... they "vote" by bitching and complaining and holding threats over the Bitcoin community that they will just shut it all down if they don't get their way or reach a compromise... at least that's what I'm understanding from this whole situation, I could very well be wrong... but the whole idea of this type of small group of people/miners making decisions about what should happen with block sizes and all pisses me off just as much as a small group of men in the Fed making crucial decision that will change the whole economy for all of us "ignorant civilians" that can't make a decision for our selves. 

I'll go ahead and disclose that I have stopped and will never get back into mining because of lack of capital, but I think everyone who is in this Bitcoin "economy" should be able to participate and reach a conclusion just as much as the people with the most "capital".

Big time miners seem to have these solutions that will never "fail", but the reality is is that we all don't know what to do in tackling this... and all of what is being proposed to fix the block size is "theoretical" and "philosophical" in a sense.  People forget that this is still a new project that everyone should be a part of, not a fixed system that should be "governed" by the most powerful people in terms of wealth in BTC. 

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 06:12:15 PM

Bitcoin wasn't created and intended for only rich people... it was created and intended to allow people to be their own banks and freedom of the Fed. 
It wasn't and the rich people can't really force anything. There is no central authority. I've updated my post.
This is really not a good way to explain it. There is no voting whatsoever. Bitcoin is about individual sovereignty. People (who run full nodes) can't be coerced into accepting a rule violation except economically.
but the whole idea of this type of small group of people/miners making decisions about what should happen with block sizes and all pisses me off just as much as a small group of men in the Fed making crucial decision that will change the whole economy for all of us "ignorant civilians" that can't make a decision for our selves. 
The industry is trying to work with the developers to find the best solutions. What exactly do you want here? Random aliases on the forums and reddit deciding? They aren't changing any fundamental rules, nor would the users agree on it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: