Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:54:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I rebooted my computer, will I retrieve my addresses when I'll enter my seed ?  (Read 482 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 06:31:55 PM

I recently rebooted my computer in the hope that it will solve my GPU problem. I was wondering if, when I'll have entered my seed in Electrum in order to have my coins back, I'll retrieve all my previous addresses. Since I conduct a loan service, this could be really problematic. Anyone could help me Smiley ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 06:33:12 PM

I recently rebooted my computer in the hope that it will solve my GPU problem. I was wondering if, when I'll have entered my seed in Electrum in order to have my coins back, I'll retrieve all my previous addresses. Since I conduct a loan service, this could be really problematic. Anyone could help me Smiley ?

Yes, you will have the same addresses as before. The only difference is that you can set a new password. A simple reboot should not remove your wallet though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 06:35:34 PM

Yes, you will have the same addresses as before. The only difference is that you can set a new password. A simple reboot should not remove your wallet though.

A reboot, as the way I intend it, will erase everything from my computer. I think that it was not the correct word. Maybe I should have written "reset". Is your answer still the same ?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 06:41:13 PM

A reboot, as the way I intend it, will erase everything from my computer. I think that it was not the correct word. Maybe I should have written "reset". Is your answer still the same ?

Hmm, reinstall maybe? But its does not change anything. You can throw a nuclear bomb on your computer as long as you have the seed you will be able to restore every one of your addresses. On a different computer though.

You can test if you dont want to trust my word. Create a new wallet file from your seed.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 10:25:06 PM

Hmm, reinstall maybe? But its does not change anything. You can throw a nuclear bomb on your computer as long as you have the seed you will be able to restore every one of your addresses. On a different computer though.

You can test if you dont want to trust my word. Create a new wallet file from your seed.

Don't worry, everything that you'll say will be taken as the Truth by me Grin. And yes, this is a reinstall. So I don't have to worry about anything, thank you for your precious help Wink !
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:26:01 PM

I suggest that you backup your wallet file instead of relying on the seed to restore your wallet. The reason is that seed will not contain the labels for your addresses and transactions that you've entered in your wallet file. However, restoring a backup of the wallet file will restore the labels too.

To create a backup go to file menu > save copy

To open the wallet file after resinstallation you can use the file menu > open command.
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 01:38:32 PM

Until you have the seed key with you where ever you can download the electrum software. and after installation just pick the restore and put your seed key and all your address and bitcoins will be their and you can operate your wallet from their. If you lost you seed key then just forget about your wallet and bitcoins.

Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:38:56 PM

I suggest that you backup your wallet file instead of relying on the seed to restore your wallet. The reason is that seed will not contain the labels for your addresses and transactions that you've entered in your wallet file. However, restoring a backup of the wallet file will restore the labels too.

To open the wallet file after resinstallation you can use the file menu > open command.

I would have loved to know this before Undecided. I've kept a copy of the data that was in the Roaming folder, will I be able to keep the labels with it ?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 05:21:22 PM

I would have loved to know this before Undecided. I've kept a copy of the data that was in the Roaming folder, will I be able to keep the labels with it ?

Yep. That's exactly where it's stored:

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#where-is-my-wallet-file-located

So all you have to do is restore the Roaming folder and install electrum. It should pick up your wallet file automatically.

Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:19:36 PM

Yep. That's exactly where it's stored:

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#where-is-my-wallet-file-located

So all you have to do is restore the Roaming folder and install electrum. It should pick up your wallet file automatically.

Thank you for you help Smiley. I'll follow your instructions. Now that my question has been answered I'll lock my thread. Again, I say you a big thank you to everyone who helped me Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: