Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:09:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A mining-software conspiracy theory  (Read 1256 times)
ZomZilla (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:24:16 PM

Hi all,

I was pondering as to why some mining software is faster than others (yeah I know, python vs C, and how sloppily it is done either way), when I had a thought!

If I knew enough about the hardcore, underlying code of mining to make a significant (lets say 10% for lulz) improvement then I would sure-as-hell not share it with anyone, as it gives me a decent edge in profitability.

equally, anyone who releases mining software has no motive to make it as efficient as it could be, because users of their software would be competing with them.

thoughts on this conspiracy theory?

could it be true?  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:41:01 PM

Why should someone with the skills to program faster mining software not be able to profit from it?
Why the hell does he automatically get rid of this opportunity by sharing this with others .... ?

No one does or should do anything without taking a share for their work Smiley

I'm ok with that Smiley

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

Bad coders post their mining code.
Good coders post their mining code.
Nitwits run the bad code.

There is a healthy supply of both bad coders and nitwits on this planet, therefore there should be bad mining code run.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 04:59:41 PM

Why should someone with the skills to program faster mining software not be able to profit from it?
Why the hell does he automatically get rid of this opportunity by sharing this with others .... ?

I'm ok with that Smiley

There is more to life than this, son.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ZomZilla (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:07:56 PM

I suppose the main point is would anyone be able to tell?

TBH i dont think the software plays much of a role in the profitability of rigs as many people just throw together hardware or do not think about the power costing of leaving an old PC on 24/7 for months (i know someone who didnt think about power at all: leaving his monitor on the whole time)

I suppose the only way a "good coder" who writes this high performance miner could make it worth it would be to close-source the mining software
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:24:24 PM

I'm ok with that Smiley

Try running a business with that ... Automatic fail Smiley

YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 09:50:37 PM

I'm ok with that Smiley

Try running a business with that ... Automatic fail Smiley

He would be living off the Street cred for years

i.e I can refactor some of the slickest code..he would have respect  Wink

Most programmers are not Russian mafia types that seem to in-habit the BTC (money,money,money,money) world

They would prefer to have the respect of their piers...(old skool)  which as you may know is PRCIELESS $$$$$

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 09:14:12 PM

It's all a big pissing contest between elitist FSF-style coder hippies.  They'd rather lord it over everyone that they made their code more efficient than anyone else's than make an extra $10 each month from just their GPU miner.  Plus, it convinces everyone to run software with their name on it.  I'd lose out on $10 a month from a slight efficiency boost in order to rule the world of bitcoin software and become a legendary name, lol.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: