Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:41:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: State of Linux vs. Windows Mining  (Read 1463 times)
ZombieDeity (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

Would someone be kind enough to update me on the status of mining performance using Windows vs. Linux tools?

I've read recently that some Windows GUI miners now include the BFI_INT optimization that used to be what put the Linux miners ahead in performance.  Is that the only consideration?  I like the idea of a GUI for ease of use, but I'm no stranger to the Linux prompt, so I'll use whatever gets the best performance.  If, however, performance is about the same on both, I'd prefer a GUI.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:27:09 PM

Would someone be kind enough to update me on the status of mining performance using Windows vs. Linux tools?

I've read recently that some Windows GUI miners now include the BFI_INT optimization that used to be what put the Linux miners ahead in performance.  Is that the only consideration?  I like the idea of a GUI for ease of use, but I'm no stranger to the Linux prompt, so I'll use whatever gets the best performance.  If, however, performance is about the same on both, I'd prefer a GUI.

Depends on your GPU.  It's hard to overclock in linux on some GPUs.  You have access to afterburner in windows.  But I find linux 100% more stable.   There is also a LOT less cpu overhead as well.  Windows also has LogMeIn.

I'd say if you have a reference card and/or able to edit bios with RBE, then linux is definitely better.
Kehaar

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:32:47 PM

Depends on your GPU.  It's hard to overclock in linux on some GPUs.  You have access to afterburner in windows.  But I find linux 100% more stable.   There is also a LOT less cpu overhead as well.  Windows also has LogMeIn.

I'd say if you have a reference card and/or able to edit bios with RBE, then linux is definitely better.

Linux has SSH, and you can also use X over ssh so I don't think Remote desktop is a valid reason for using windows :p

I agree with your other points.
ZombieDeity (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:33:26 PM

Thanks for the info.  Since you said it kinda depend on the video cards... any specifics for R6990's?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: