Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:45:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A word of caution to those who have bought recently  (Read 4701 times)
Nagato (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 04:49:49 PM

From June to Sep, the price nearly tripled without any significant fundamental news(unless i missed something).
Then pirate defaulted and there was a spike down to $7+, which was readily absorbed and price has slowly creeped back up to where it is now(14+).

Yes, i know Wordpress started accepting BTC recently and Bitcoin is going to be gaining exposure at CES. More businesses are accepting bitcoin, all well and good.
But a 300% gain(all before Wordpress and CES news) just smells fishy to me.

What i think:
A 300% price gain in 3+ months without any significant fundamental reason is the work of 1 large buyer.
1) Maybe this buyer heard of bitcoin, did his research and believes in it as much as we do and is trying to scoop them up while they are still a bargain and is in this for the long haul.
2) This large buyer is here to make a quick 200-300% gain. Ever since price has risen to 12+, all the buy orders that were $5 and below have slowly crept up into the $12+ range.
If you look below 12.90 in the market depth table, there is very little liquidity to hold the price. It's almost as if the the large buyer has suckered everyone into buying at $13+ and is slowly letting his coins go whilst keeping 1-2 big orders below market price to give the illussion that there is very strong demand.

Personally i was thinking it was scenario 1, but after watching the PA and the market depth today, its starting to look like the chances of it being scenario 2 is not remote. Also a rich banker or fund investor is unlikely to have the technical background to understand the details of Bitcoin and appreciate the genius of it's design or believe in it's security.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 04:56:17 PM

Interesting

Any evidence of this in the public trading records.

I also know there is a significant amount of otc transactions.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:01:42 PM

Interesting

Interesting, if you don't want to give exact figures, how large is OTC trade in percent of Gox volume in your opinion?
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

The only reason for it is that the more and more ppl getting into bitcoin. Just see how many new users blockchain.info is getting: https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users Bitcoin subreddit is constantly getting more and more subscribers.

Also don't foget that amount of fiat money is practically infinite.
jonitas

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:25:54 PM

Your story of one large buyer reminds me of a conspiracy theory. And as usual with conspiracy theories they are often false.

Also below 12.90 there might not be a lot of orders, but if the price drops lower I will add to my position, and there are probably more people who don't have orders in place, but will act the same.
Nagato (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 05:33:22 PM

Again, im just speculating but seeing 9k orders from a single account at current prices points to someone spending 150k into Bitcoins only recently.

I may be totally wrong and am underestimating the exponential effect of Bitcoin popularity.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:34:13 PM

The only reason for it is that the more and more ppl getting into bitcoin. Just see how many new users blockchain.info is getting: https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users Bitcoin subreddit is constantly getting more and more subscribers.

Also don't foget that amount of fiat money is practically infinite.

+1

I believe the recent media attention and the growth in user base supports this price increase and we'll continue to see it climb in 2013.  I am concerned about the effect that ASIC delivery or ASIC failure will have on the market.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:39:18 PM

Interesting

Interesting, if you don't want to give exact figures, how large is OTC trade in percent of Gox volume in your opinion?

I would have no idea how to extrapolate those figure however FastCash4Bitcoins has moved over 200,000 btc and counting and the other side of there business Bitcoinsdirect is often out of coin.  So there is not insignificant  volume there.

If I had to guess I would say at least  5000 coins move in any given week on bitcoin-otc

And I have see significant orders on localbitcoins.net.

Again what percentage of gox volume I have no idea.  
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:40:30 PM

Why is there always this urge to attribute price movements to "one large buyer" or "the manipulator" etc?  Roll Eyes

I feel like there is a psychological need to attribute things to single people... maybe this is why so many believe in god, and in a king or president to control things?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:44:35 PM

Why is there always this urge to attribute price movements to "one large buyer" or "the manipulator" etc?  Roll Eyes

I feel like there is a psychological need to attribute things to single people... maybe this is why so many believe in god, and in a king or president to control things?

Because the volume and market cap could certainly allow a single large buyer or a consortium of sophisticated traders, to manipulate the btc market very easily.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:53:19 PM

Because the volume and market cap could certainly allow a single large buyer or a consortium of sophisticated traders, to manipulate the btc market very easily.

Even worse, its a schizophrenic manipulator who does stuff like BUY 10k BTC to raise the price up to 14.31 and about an hour or so later sells it down below 14!  And then buys little bits back up to 14.20...

I'm sure there's a simpler explanation to this story... Smiley
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:57:44 PM

Actually the HUGE buy and then HUGE sell came within two or so minutes of each other. So yeah, the 'manipulator' may have needed to buy a bunch of btc just so he could use it to push the price down, and didn't care about the trading fee.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:59:00 PM

I'm sure there's a simpler explanation to this story... Smiley
This might be some kind of tactics, to "test" the price level … probably in the past this trick worked a few times, then you can profit. But right now I don't see it. Also, no weekend-dip, afai-can-see.
jonitas

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 06:18:02 PM

I think the spike of new users the Blockchain.info wallet has gotten since December hasn't shown it's full impact yet. Bitcoin has a steep learning curve so I think people will typically trust it only after a few months of experimenting with it. Once these new users start moving bigger amounts it will put a firm support under the price IMO.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 06:21:44 PM

I may be totally wrong and am underestimating the exponential effect of Bitcoin popularity.

This. Just look at bitpays numbers to see how much its growing

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 06:30:51 PM

As it is even harder to speculate on the intent of a possible speculator, Best pratice is to hedge in a ratio that you feel comfortable with. You know you struck a balance when you feel equally bad about your asks and your bids.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 06:39:19 PM

Same old story - where is 'The Manipulator' thread?

Together with - imagine that a millionaire  learns about bitcoin and decides to try it out with his pocket money
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 07:05:07 PM

This. Just look at bitpays numbers to see how much its growing

This thread reminds me of the "cautionary warnings" when the price went from 3-4$ (the 2nd time.)
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 07:24:31 PM

A 300% price gain in 3+ months without any significant fundamental reason is the work of 1 large buyer.

can easily be changed to:
A 1000% price gain in 9+ months without any significant fundamental reason is the work of 1 large buyer.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 07:55:44 PM

There actually is. Look up Rene Girard.

Is he the guy we can attribute everything to?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: