Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:04:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question about the blockchain size...  (Read 1052 times)
virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1093

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:59:47 AM

So now we have the 2MB blockchain implemented by Bitcoin classic... what will happen if I will still be using my older mutibit wallet when majority are using this one? will my transactions still work or everyone will have to upgrade in time? thanks!

1 BTC = 1 BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4367

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:31:13 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 11:43:01 AM by franky1

So now we have the 2MB blockchain implemented by Bitcoin classic... what will happen if I will still be using my older mutibit wallet when majority are using this one? will my transactions still work or everyone will have to upgrade in time? thanks!

transactions are never lost.
transactions sit in the memory of every mining pool. so all transactions will get added to blocks.

without complicating the scenarios. the only difference you will see is that your transaction will appear in blocks at different times.
all miners will have the pool of transactions so whether its:
(B)ig blocker that happens to remain at a higher blockheight it will be added to their block.
(s)mall blockers would ignore the (B)ig blockers and make their own blocks as if the transaction has not yet confirmed(due to ignoring(B)). so it would be added to their block too.

and if small blockers gained blockheight. the large blocks would get orphaned and the data would align back to the small blockers. so your transaction will exist.. but the number of confirms will change

the ultimate result would be that if a service you use is relying on large blocker data. then there is a chance that a confirmed transaction can be rejected and then when realigning, may show a different amount of confirmations because its now seeing the data of the small blocks. which also has your transaction, but maybe added at a different time.

EG
lets say the current block was 400,000 and you transmitted a new transaction.
both miners receive the transaction but,
(B)ig blocker added it to 400,001
(s)mall blocker doesnt add it to 400,001 for many reasons (i wont complicate the scenario)
(s)mall blocker added it to 400,002

so 30 minutes after you sent the transaction(at 400,003)..
a service viewing (B) chain will see the transaction has 2 confirmations (because it was added to their chain(B) 2 blocks ago)
a service viewing (s) chain will see the transaction has 1 confirmations (because it was added to their chain(s) 1 blocks ago)

then lets say, that at that same 400,003 (s) got blockheight instead (as a scenario). and so (B) orphans off its bigger blocks and grabs (s) chain as thats the new height.
a service viewing (B) chain will then see the transaction now has 1 confirmations (no longer 2 because the block 400,001 that had your tx in the big block doesnt exist)
a service viewing (s) chain will see the transaction has 1 confirmations because its the same data on both chains due to the height that caused orphans on (B)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 12:05:25 PM

much thanks for the detailed explanation it's good to see I can still use my older client. thanks!

1 BTC = 1 BTC
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 03:52:22 PM

I thought classic had lost

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
calkob

Activity: 1078
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:09:54 PM

No your thinking of Bitcoin XT, it lost the latest one is Bitcoin classic which has a block size of 2mb.
virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:02:17 PM

No your thinking of Bitcoin XT, it lost the latest one is Bitcoin classic which has a block size of 2mb.

I guess we'll see in the long run who really won Smiley

1 BTC = 1 BTC
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:01:55 PM

Now we have the nodes support- Do we need the miner to support it as well?? Do we need to have 75% block mined using classic or (classic + size>1Mb)?

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:21:39 PM

there is also a proposal for ANY client to add in a basic 2mb rule. but blockstream are pretending its impossible for them to implement

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:30:35 PM

Now we have the nodes support- Do we need the miner to support it as well?? Do we need to have 75% block mined using classic or (classic + size>1Mb)?

ethically.. people would upgrade their clients first. and miners would monitor things like bitnodes to see if people are prefering 2mb.
then miners will add their flag, ifthey see significant rise in desire of 2mb..

the miners flag which would be monitored on the blockchain (the 750/1000 blocks showing the flag).. (separate vote to bitnodes)

where there would be a 28 day grace period as extra breath if it reached that trigger.. and after the 28 day grace period, miners are still not automatically going to make big blocks until they are sure their attempts wont get orphaned..

as i said all of the scenario above is the ethical way to do it. and so far, thats what seems to be happening.
2 things that may differ is that miners put in their block flag before people are showing a majority of 2mb nodes. and the other thing is once the miner consensus has been reached and the 28 day period is over some miners might stupidly push forward. which could lead to their blocks getting orphaned. which would mess around with merchants who accept minimal confirmations.

its more complicated then that. but i tried to simplify it as possible into logical and real scenarios. and not the dooms day illogical crap some blockstreamers are spouting out

virtualdn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:29:48 AM

whatever it is let's just hope none of these upgrades will mess up the blockchain... that would be disaster and the end of BTC

1 BTC = 1 BTC
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:35:49 AM

there is also a proposal for ANY client to add in a basic 2mb rule. but blockstream are pretending its impossible for them to implement

this map opened my eyes, historically there has not been any "impossibility" that's nonsense

Lauda
Legendary

Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 09:38:44 AM

this map opened my eyes, historically there has not been any "impossibility" that's nonsense
This map tells you nothing. The 'forkers' are willing to sacrifice just about anything to get the small increase in tps.

No. Classic is DOA (Dead on Arrival).

You don't have the support of nodes. A few individuals just jump-started a lot of nodes at once. Without the miners, Classic is dead.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 09:45:50 AM

So which average does that graph show. If it is an arithmetic mean, and many blocks are under 0.5 Mb, then surely we would need to be using blocks greater than 1Mb for that graph to be accurate?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:25:28 AM

I might have not understood everything but...

The idea is not the technical possibility, but the consensus needed between all the actors no? They all have interest in seing the smaller possible blocks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: