Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:15:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What will you run?
I will remain full node - 16 (76.2%)
I will use a pruned (lite) node - 5 (23.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you going to run a lite node when 0.12 comes out or you will remain full?  (Read 1133 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:50:21 PM

I was wondering if you are going to switch to pruned mode so you can be able to run Core without storing the entire blockchain, or are you going to be running a full node? I recommend that you keep running a full personally if it's not too much trouble for you, because it helps the network in the most optimal way. Pruned mode is cool cause you get back a lot of GB's for other things that aren't the blockchain, but it's not as ideal for the network and not as safe, even tho it's still way better than any other non-Core alternative.
Personally I will remain full node as long as possible, so I can contribute better to the network and have paranoid-proof experience by having the full blockchain locally.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:52:47 PM

I will remain a full node until the bandwidth and space requirements to run one start being too much demanding, which I don't see happening in near future, if ever.

Also, if pruned nodes weren't as safe, they wouldn't be deployed on the latest releases of Core... Cheesy
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:58:07 PM

I will remain a full node until the bandwidth and space requirements to run one start being too much demanding, which I don't see happening in near future, if ever.

Also, if pruned nodes weren't as safe, they wouldn't be deployed on the latest releases of Core... Cheesy

Yeah like I said before, they are the safest you can get, except not running an actual full node. I think for everyone running Electrum etc, or in general people that couldn't be bothered with downloading the entire blockchain and storing, pruned mode will be the best option.
If only we could have HD addresses in Core and improve features to storing and sorting your addresses list in a nice way, more people would run at least pruned modes imo, hopefully in near future they make it look nicer.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:14:45 PM

The blockchain isnt even 100 gigs yet.   I still run a full node on my 10 year old pc.
caixa

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:16:13 PM

I will also remain a full node until the bandwidth and space requirements to run one start to become unbearable to my resources...
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:17:18 PM

I'm not currently running any node, but as soon as Bitcoin Core 0.12 will be out I'll run a full node and a pruned node to show my support to Bitcoin Core versus Classic.
xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:21:08 PM

I will continue running my full node at home, and at my parents house. But I will probably also fire up a couple of pruned nodes on some of the VPS boxes i have.

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:21:19 PM

I'm not currently running any node, but as soon as Bitcoin Core 0.12 will be out I'll run a full node and a pruned node to show my support to Bitcoin Core versus Classic.

Yes, we must crush Classic so I recommend everyone to run a node, whatever you can, if your hard disk space is too limited and you can't deal with a full node because your bandwith is slow as well or something, then prune mode is better than nothing. We need to get rid of those scammers, this will be the final nail on the coffin for them.
Duomo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:45:32 PM

The blockchain isnt even 100 gigs yet.   I still run a full node on my 10 year old pc.

I'm not against running a full node, it's just that currently I have 250 GB of hard-drive space available. A majority of that is used up by numerous applications and programs. I know, I know, I should have 1 TB Drive in this day and age. Cheesy  Keeping that in mind, It's not the size of the Blockchain that worries me, it's the limited amount of space available on my hard-drive while the Block-Chain is increasing in size. At some point and time, it will be for sure that the Blockchain will be much much larger than what it currently is.
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:14:22 PM

I will be running lite node for regular payments but I am going to archive full block chain on-site and will be able to move back if there are problems.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:29:20 PM

I prefer to run a full node. I leave my wallet open from time to time but I have to close the client as my pc can't really handle it. I think the main problem is my slow hdd. For some reason when a block is being found and the client is dowloading it, my hdd goes crazy. That's why I have to close it.
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 02:35:10 AM

I think I will go prune version. Thinking of using small computers such as Raspberry Pi to substitute my PC, to save energy. So small SD card of 64 or 128G will be used...

BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:00:35 PM

I'm running a node for some months now. I believe that we should all cooperate a donate to the network. If everyone contributes with a node, bitcoin will stay decentralized.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:06:33 PM

I'm already running 0.12 with -prune, it's huge space saving in my desktop, it's great because I don't have much storage on that machine and I don't like to use lite wallets.

I run a full not pruned node on other machine though.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:12:44 PM

I'm already running 0.12 with -prune, it's huge space saving in my desktop, it's great because I don't have much storage on that machine and I don't like to use lite wallets.

I run a full not pruned node on other machine though.

I would like to get that huge saving in space too, but since I have heard that you need to download the entire blockchain again to enable prune mode im too lazy to wait for that so I think I will stay with full node too until I run out of space.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 12998

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:40:18 PM

Pruned nodes are still full nodes. They have all of the same security, and they provide most of the same benefits to the Bitcoin network. Full nodes without pruning are called "archive nodes".

I will probably mostly not enable pruning because I find that I need to rescan pretty frequently, and you can't do that with pruning.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:08:22 PM

Pruned nodes are still full nodes. They have all of the same security, and they provide most of the same benefits to the Bitcoin network. Full nodes without pruning are called "archive nodes".

I will probably mostly not enable pruning because I find that I need to rescan pretty frequently, and you can't do that with pruning.

i think the main question should be witness or no witness mode.. as that effects the security more than pruned or unpruned

as for the whole pruned vs unpruned.. for $100 you can buy a hard drive(2tb) that can handle upto 4mb blocks (2mb+segwit) for 10 years so pruned is not much of an issue, compared to inability to validate transactions fully

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:25:20 PM

Any changes in 0.12 in regard to pruning vs current situation ? Especialy whether wallet will work or you can choose what HDD space to use for random very old blocks (probably most needy feature imo so thousands of pruned nodes can have at least few complete copies of the whole blockchain together...).

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:27:39 PM

I voted full. I recently upgraded two nodes I have been using with 2 TB hard drives for this very purpose. They originally were using 160 GB SDD's, which was able to handle the OS, clients, and block-chain folder, but  was starting to fill up. Being proactive, I decided to transfer just the data folder to the 2 TB spinners and keep the Wallet.dat on the SSD (as well as backed up of course). I figure 2 TB is overkill for now, but I didn't want to have to deal with them again for awhile, and the driver were cheap <$100 each.

I might try out a lite node as well, but don't really like to keep my wallet on any devices I use a lot and it seems a lot of work to setup a dedicated device just to run a lite node.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:30:21 PM

Any changes in 0.12 in regard to pruning vs current situation ? Especialy whether wallet will work or you can choose what HDD space to use for random very old blocks (probably most needy feature imo so thousands of pruned nodes can have at least few complete copies of the whole blockchain together...).

imagine 5200 nodes are running.. imagine in april 3000 of them(old) wont be full validating nodes. and the remaining 2200 that are the updated core clients. wont all be running in full validation mode with full archival storage..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: