Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:43:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much would you pay per month to run a full node in a datacenter? (only answer if really would)
$2.5 or less per month
$5 per month
$7.5 per month
$10 per month
$15 per month
$20 per month
$25 per month
$30 or more per month

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would you pay per month to run a full node?  (Read 1861 times)
anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:23:08 PM

Smiley
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 10:34:49 PM

I don't have an answer but this is something I have been thinking about.

The real cost is in how much disk space. I can get a cheap linode for $10 a month but it won't come with the data capacity for the block chain.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:38:12 PM

I don't really understand the question... Running a full node is a personal choice. Why paying for someone to run a node?

AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 10:42:32 PM

I don't really understand the question... Running a full node is a personal choice. Why paying for someone to run a node?

Running a full node on a data center would allow a bitcoin shopping cart to have a close, fast trusted source that sees transactions and confirmations.

Such a node should not accept incoming connections (except from servers under your control) and should gets its transactions and blocks from well-connected full nodes, so that it is not vulnerable to the Race Attack, Finney Attack, or the Vector76 attack.

It would allow you accept transactions with 0 confirmations quickly and securely without relying upon a third party service.

tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:56:51 PM

I think it will cost about $10 per month taking into account the cost of electricity (for computer and air-conditioning), hardware, maintenance and network.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:19:03 PM

I selected 7,5$. That's more or less what I paid in the last few hosts I've used in the last year. No host went beyond 8/9$, I think... Had specs ranging from 2 Cores/2GB/60GB HDD/1TB to 8 Cores/4GB/100GB HDD/10TB
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:32:55 AM

a datacenter with multiple nodes running... seems like a sybil attack

if your going to rely on a third party service to host a node.. you might aswell just use blockchain.info wallets as once you brush away the buzzwords and glossy concepts.. the fundementals are all the same.

infact apart from having the wallet file on (hopefully) separate hard drives.. the data is all the same so no need to have 100 copies of a blockchain in one data center. just need separate wallets

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:49:40 AM

if your going to rely on a third party service to host a node.. you might aswell just use blockchain.info wallets as once you brush away the buzzwords and glossy concepts.. the fundementals are all the same.

infact apart from having the wallet file on (hopefully) separate hard drives.. the data is all the same so no need to have 100 copies of a blockchain in one data center. just need separate wallets

i fully agree to this

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 01:16:22 AM

I wouldn't want the wallets anywhere near the data center. Just a node I run that my shopping carts can query confirmation status on specific addresses.

e.g. a single full-node running at data center X that does not accept accept external requests.

Any of my web servers running on that same data center can make a TLS reqest with a list of payment addresses to a small web server running on the node and get a json response with the corresponding confirmation information.

Frankly Franky1 I do not trust 3rd party processing services. And with Bitcoin, I don't have to.

xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 01:17:42 AM

I would pay $5. But I would not pay anyone else to run my node. I would need to run it my self in order to be able to trust it.

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 01:18:15 AM

That being said, the current solution to this problem I'm solving a different way, data centers I looked at want too much for this kind of thing, I have another way to have the same effect, at least until profit justifies the expense.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 02:09:37 AM

I would pay more than $30 a month for a virtual server with enough bandwidth, disk and I/O to run a full node. However, I would only run and control it myself and not have anyone else manage it for me. I also won't bother if there were other nodes already running in the subnet or ASN.
AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 02:13:10 AM

I would pay more than $30 a month for a virtual server with enough bandwidth, disk and I/O to run a full node. However, I would only run and control it myself and not have anyone else manage it for me. I also won't bother if there were other nodes already running in the subnet or ASN.

I only run my own servers, I always use CentOS with some packages replaced by a custom yum repository I maintain (LibreSSL, Apache, PHP, etc.) - I don't do "managed" hosting.

I didn't get the impression the OP was asking for managed hosting, but maybe I mis-interpreted him.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:34:54 AM

Zero. If Bitcoin's survival depends on altruism then it's not doing something right.
PakistanHockeyfan

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:14:29 AM

Bitcoin shouldn't depend on anything. It should just be strong by itself.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:27:34 AM

Zero.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 08:04:39 AM

I think you should be rewarded for running a full node. ie. payments should be negative, but there is no option for this.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 08:10:57 AM

I would pay $5. But I would not pay anyone else to run my node. I would need to run it my self in order to be able to trust it.

If you find someone else that is willing to pay 5$ you could share admin rights to a cheap VPS and run a full node on it.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:03:05 AM

I have a VPS that I share with another person where I pay like $8 per month for. It's mostly being used as seed box but there is enough free space and bandwidth to run a full node.
FlyingSaucer

Activity: 78

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:06:44 AM

I don't understand why would you pay someone else to run a full node and don't just run it yourself for free?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: