Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:29:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistakenly received a deposit in bitcoin . what should I do?  (Read 1239 times)
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:50:59 AM

I have an account on a page that buys and sells " bitcoin " . I never made ​​a deposit , and recently see a deposit of 4.19  bitcoins . I do not know the sender. What should I do?. What are the legal consecuencies if i spend it?

You're one lucky person. If I was you I would just spend the bitcoins, i dont think there will be any legal consequences, since it wasnt your fault that you got those coins...

Good luck!

This is how real assholes talk.

Someone LOST that Bitcoin. What if it were you? You would come here and cry how someone stole your coins. It s not yours, you should return it or you no different that ordinary scammers.

Let's just be real, if you were on OP's shoes you will probably do the same thing Roll Eyes I would do the same too. The BTC was not stolen nor obtained illegally, it was a blessing in disguise
And what happen if the real owner decided to show up and asking for his coins back Roll Eyes
Im sure he would be pissed off knowing his coins got "Stolen" there Wink
There is no legal consequences here as bitcoin law doesn't really exist yet, but there is a moral consequences Wink
And how is that a blessing when you know someone right now must be searching where did his coins ended up Tongue
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitninfo (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:05:02 PM

I have an account on a page that buys and sells " bitcoin " . I never made ​​a deposit , and recently see a deposit of 4.19  bitcoins . I do not know the sender. What should I do?. What are the legal consecuencies if i spend it?

Withdraw it now.

Put it into a btc address that you alone control.

Leave it sit still and wait for contact.

Do not spend it and do not give it back to anyone with out a lot of proof they sent it to you.

what you suggest is correct, if you contact the exchange and if are not able to find the user who sent they may also try to block you address and keep the bitcoin with them, so it is better to withdraw it in your other wallet address and then try to contact your wallet support and before giving it back get enough proof because anyone come and tell that the bitcoins belong to him with fake proofs .

Is a site for buying and selling ONLY WITH THE SITE , is not a trading site in to particulars , the SITE buy and sell bitcoins and profit with the exchange diference (sorry i dont say the page, for security razons, while I think what to do. seems to me the BTC world is not so big and every owner of BTC sites has an acount in a forum like this)
bitninfo (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:41:38 PM

Wow, so much bad advice in this thread. All from sig spammers, so that's to be expected. The legal consequences of spending coins which do not belong to you is that you're stealing them. If the owner of the coins can track you down (which is likely, since they can probably determine which exchange the coins were sent to, and the exchange will reveal your identity in response to a court order), you may be arrested and/or sued. You must contact the exchange and inform them of the error, so that they may attempt to identify the sender and return the coins. Depending on your jurisdiction you may be allowed to keep the coins if the owner cannot be found, but only if you have made a good faith effort to find them.

Is a site for buying and selling ONLY WITH THE SITE , is not a trading site in to particulars , the SITE buy and sell bitcoins and profit with the exchange diference, there is no phisica sender. (sorry i dont say the page, for security razons, while I think what to do. seems to me the BTC world is not so big and every owner of BTC sites has an acount in a forum like this)
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 09:52:45 PM

It depends on the type of person you are,  some would take it and spend it without giving it a second thought.

The decent thing to do would be to contact the site and inform them what has happened, if it turns out to be an error on their part this in itself is quite scary and I would not use the site anymore if random amounts of bitcoin can end up in an account.

You may have used your address somewhere before and somebody has meant to send this amount to you, either way my advice would be to reach out to support.  If they are not able to find out where it came from and it is an error it would be helpful if  you could let the community know the site and post some proof so nobody else can get affected in this way.

Legally I am not sure, it is stealing something of value, in a similar fashion if you found $1000 dollars in your bank account spending it would probably not be the best thing to do.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 01:39:13 AM

It's best to report that you were given them mistakenly.  It is the right thing to at least let them know, then see what happens.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: