Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:16:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Ripple and the Lightning Network  (Read 466 times)
btcbug (OP)

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:25:13 PM

I'm reading an article on Let's Talk Bitcoin describing the Lightning Network in layman terms. https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-lightning-network-elidhdicacs

There is a section which I quote that reminds me of my understanding of how the Ripple network operates.

"We can even take this scenario a step further. Let’s say that Alice DOESN’T have an open account with the General Store. However, let’s say that she does have one with the Blacksmith, who, in turn, has an account open with the General Store. In this scenario, Bob could pay Alice by adjusting his balance with the General Store, who then in turn, adjusts their balance with the Blacksmith, who then adjusts his balance with Alice. There is an often-quoted ‘six degrees of separation’ theory, which posits that everyone knows every other person on the planet within just six logical connections. Likewise, with the Lightning Network, every person can pay anyone else within just one, two, or maybe three hops along the way. In fact, it is this process of connecting people along existing open payment channels, that creates the underlying ‘network’ that the Lightning Network operates upon. Using the Lightning Network, anyone can pay another simply by forwarding funds and without the need to create any new deposits at the bank. By adjusting everyone’s balance sheet in accordance to everyone involved, you can effectively move money around without moving any physical money at all."

My understanding with Ripple is that credit can be extended to anyone in a similar way. Basically the power of the network is to create these connections between two people who may not necessarily know each other, but through their trusted networks a payment or loan can be made.

Can somebody tell me if I'm understanding this correctly?
pimpjuice

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:56:07 PM

I'm reading an article on Let's Talk Bitcoin describing the Lightning Network in layman terms. https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-lightning-network-elidhdicacs

There is a section which I quote that reminds me of my understanding of how the Ripple network operates.

"We can even take this scenario a step further. Let’s say that Alice DOESN’T have an open account with the General Store. However, let’s say that she does have one with the Blacksmith, who, in turn, has an account open with the General Store. In this scenario, Bob could pay Alice by adjusting his balance with the General Store, who then in turn, adjusts their balance with the Blacksmith, who then adjusts his balance with Alice. There is an often-quoted ‘six degrees of separation’ theory, which posits that everyone knows every other person on the planet within just six logical connections. Likewise, with the Lightning Network, every person can pay anyone else within just one, two, or maybe three hops along the way. In fact, it is this process of connecting people along existing open payment channels, that creates the underlying ‘network’ that the Lightning Network operates upon. Using the Lightning Network, anyone can pay another simply by forwarding funds and without the need to create any new deposits at the bank. By adjusting everyone’s balance sheet in accordance to everyone involved, you can effectively move money around without moving any physical money at all."

My understanding with Ripple is that credit can be extended to anyone in a similar way. Basically the power of the network is to create these connections between two people who may not necessarily know each other, but through their trusted networks a payment or loan can be made.

Can somebody tell me if I'm understanding this correctly?

I believe they are very similar. Some other things to look at...
- https://i.imgur.com/FCqIBSM.gif (since deleted I believe but a little about the LN - I really don't know much about it though)
- Look into https://interledger.org/ as well.  This has a lot to do with XRP and will be needed to produce the internet of value.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1435

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:23:58 PM

It would have been nice if Ripple/Stellar had a scripting language.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
pimpjuice

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 01:05:53 AM

It would have been nice if Ripple/Stellar had a scripting language.

I may have no clue what you mean...

https://github.com/ripple

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: