Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:15:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And now they're saying a hard fork could entail legal repercussions.  (Read 838 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:06:42 PM

According to this CryptoCoinNews article, anyhow. This is something that the few remaining Bitcoin XT supporters (if any) and Bitcoin Classic supporters will need to think about.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:15:14 PM

What a good laugh! This article is hilarious... Legal what?!? Seriously...

They would need to register with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) once they are being transacted like a new convertible virtual currency

Why? Is Bitcoin registered on FinCEN? Seriously... Roll Eyes

if they do not in a timely manner report their forked currency as a Money Service Business (MSB) to the FinCEN

MSB's are exchanges. Bitcoin is a currency... It has no laws beyond the laws defined on the code that runs the system.

Due to Anti Money-Laundering rules, Bitcoin Classic and Bitcoin XT would likely need to be able to identify their users.

Once again, if this has to be enforced in case of a Bitcoin fork, why wasn't this enforced straght away by authorities since the genesis block? Roll Eyes

I could go on... This is seriously one of the wierdest articles I've ever seen. Legal problems are what exchanges face when they "lose track" of customers funds. People show know better about these things already. Attemps to control or regulate Bitcoin at the core level will fail.
DMB

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:23:40 PM

What a good laugh! This article is hilarious... Legal what?!? Seriously...

They would need to register with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) once they are being transacted like a new convertible virtual currency

if they do not in a timely manner report their forked currency as a Money Service Business (MSB) to the FinCEN

MSB's are exchanges. Bitcoin is a currency... It has no laws beyond the laws defined on the code that runs the system.

Due to Anti Money-Laundering rules, Bitcoin Classic and Bitcoin XT would likely need to be able to identify their users.

Once again, if this has to be enforced in case of a Bitcoin fork, why wasn't this enforced straght away by authorities since the genesis block? Roll Eyes

I could go on... This is seriously one of the wierdest articles I've ever seen. Legal problems are what exchanges face when they "lose track" of customers funds. People show know better about these things already. Attemps to control or regulate Bitcoin at the core level will fail.

that is so stupid, sometimes I wonder where people get off.....
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 10:46:35 PM

According to this CryptoCoinNews article, anyhow. This is something that the few remaining Bitcoin XT supporters (if any) and Bitcoin Classic supporters will need to think about.

That's bullshit. Mr Friedberg is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame. And no, if this was true, it's not just problem of XT/Classic but Bitcoin and Cryptos in general. Core devs too will have to fork sooner or later. Same goes for any open-source applications (started unanimously).

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:50:18 PM

So the guys in charge of the financial system designed to bypass overbearing authorities, try to do overbearing authority stuff. Sweet move.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:56:37 PM

It is not possible.  Bitcoin is a decentralized situation and it is it not possible for a lawsuit.  Who do you sue?

I love Bitcoin
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:01:01 PM

It is not possible.  Bitcoin is a decentralized situation and it is it not possible for a lawsuit.  Who do you sue?

The core devs? Maybe the foundation? What a joke, these guys never really understood how bitcoin works do they.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:03:16 PM

That's bullshit. Mr Friedberg is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame. And no, if this was true, it's not just problem of XT/Classic but Bitcoin and Cryptos in general. Core devs too will have to fork sooner or later. Same goes for any open-source applications (started unanimously).

Not just Daniel S. Friedberg (Dan; Danny), but also Ryan J. Straus: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1362358.msg13877909#msg13877909
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:10:27 PM

It is not possible.  Bitcoin is a decentralized situation and it is it not possible for a lawsuit.  Who do you sue?

The core devs? Maybe the foundation? What a joke, these guys never really understood how bitcoin works do they.

Don't know how they missed it since Straus and Friedberg are buds with Patrick Murck and Jon Matonis.

I'd say they're somethin' goin' on behind the scenes that smells like Limburger.

Straus and Friendberg came onto the Bitcoin scene just prior to the infamous run-up in 2013, the same time, or just prior to when Patrick and Jon joined to The Bitcoin Foundation goin' through all its moneys while under their watch.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 11:12:11 PM

Your questions were already answered in the article.

If you care to read it again (this time with comprehension), you will find that Bitcoin, being created by the anonymous Satoshi, has no principles for FinCEN to have jurisdiction over.

On the other hand, Classic is being created by identifiable individuals, many of whom live in the US and other NATO/FACTA countries.

Please learn to read more effectively, and stop misleading people with such trivially debunked fake 'gotcha' questions.

The essay was written by an actual lawyer.  You aren't a lawyer, you are just some stupid-as-shit Gavinista that isn't even especially literate.

The only reason you're straining at the article's well made points is that it's not pro-Classic.

But the essay is factually grounded, and pretending it's all just a big lie won't help Team Classic when the TLAs come knocking.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:16:33 PM

It is not possible.  Bitcoin is a decentralized situation and it is it not possible for a lawsuit.  Who do you sue?

Don't know how they missed it since Straus and Friedberg are buds with Patrick Murck and Jon Matonis.

I'd say they're somethin' goin' on behind the scenes that smells like Limburger.

Straus and Friendberg came onto the Bitcoin scene just prior to the infamous run-up in 2013, the same time, or just prior to when Patrick and Jon joined to The Bitcoin Foundation goin' through all its moneys while under their watch.

Gleb's on the job. Cool

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:28:23 PM

Gleb's on the job. Cool

Hey, I'm just here to spread FUD till they pay me my standard extortion fee, of which Leroy Fodor has yet to read the memo. HAHAHA
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:12:13 AM

Legal repercussions? LOL. To the taxman or even the FBI, Bitcoin Classic, Core or XT are exactly the same thing. Why should they bother make a difference? You can be a butcher, a salesman or a plumber, and the taxman doesn't care, you'll get the same treatment.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:17:17 AM

Ooh man Gleb and iCEBREAKER in the same thread!

*popcorn time*

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4488

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:26:40 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2016, 01:00:16 AM by franky1

If you care to read it again (this time with comprehension), you will find that Bitcoin, being created by the anonymous Satoshi, has no principles for FinCEN to have jurisdiction over.

On the other hand, Classic is being created by identifiable individuals, many of whom live in the US and other NATO/FACTA countries.

Please learn to read more effectively, and stop misleading people with such trivially debunked fake 'gotcha' questions.

The essay was written by an actual lawyer.  You aren't a lawyer, you are just some stupid-as-shit Gavinista that isn't even especially literate.

The only reason you're straining at the article's well made points is that it's not pro-Classic.

But the essay is factually grounded, and pretending it's all just a big lie won't help Team Classic when the TLAs come knocking.

lol not grounded..

otherwise the fork of 2013 would make blockstream liable .. using your logic..
oh and the segwit code changes.. will make blockstream liable .. using your logic..

so much laughs today

lastly.. 2mb proposal is not limited to classic.. there are 12 different implementations that all can input the rule change and the miner flags..
thats right miners running core can continue running core and just change the 1 byte flag in their data to show their intentions.
and then change the max block size if the target is reached.

its not code limited to classic..

thats right core can input the changes too.. its not a classic vs core.. its a people vs adam back. where adam back will continue to refuse to stay with the people even when the minority moves against him.
adam back will be the one sticking his head in the sand playing with clams and having to get fincen registered (if the article was legally correct, which its not)

but for laughs lets use icebreaker logic
Charles Lee (litecoin) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?
vitalik buterin (ethereum) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?
wait for it, here is the punchline..

Gmaxwell and Adamback(liquid & sidechains) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:49:14 AM

So what if core does the fork?  All devs go to jail?  Give me a break.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:52:16 AM

legal ?

Wallstreet is legal even if they have forced nation to print money.

Bitcoin is the model of transparent AND SO LEGAL think.
It don't lie.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:14:01 AM

The essay was written by an actual lawyer.  You aren't a lawyer, you are just some stupid-as-shit Gavinista that isn't even especially literate.

lol not grounded..

otherwise the fork of 2013 would make blockstream liable .. using your logic..
oh and the segwit code changes.. will make blockstream liable .. using your logic..

so much laughs today

lastly.. 2mb proposal is not limited to classic.. there are 12 different implementations that all can input the rule change and the miner flags..
thats right miners running core can continue running core and just change the 1 byte flag in their data to show their intentions.
and then change the max block size if the target is reached.

its not code limited to classic..

thats right core can input the changes too.. its not a classic vs core.. its a people vs adam back. where adam back will continue to refuse to stay with the people even when the minority moves against him.
adam back will be the one sticking his head in the sand playing with clams and having to get fincen registered (if the article was legally correct, which its not)

but for laughs lets use icebreaker logic
Charles Lee (litecoin) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?
vitalik buterin (ethereum) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?
wait for it, here is the punchline..

Gmaxwell and Adamback(liquid & sidechains) needs to go to jail for not registering their coin invention?

Icebreaker has been on my ignore for a while, but I happen to see this.

"Written by an actual lawyer"...oooooh....lmao.

I guess Icebreaker hasn't figured out yet that lawyers' jobs
are to argue a certain position.  I can find an equally qualified
lawyer to argue just the opposite of what it says in the article.

Derp.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:23:17 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2016, 04:16:04 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

12 implementations?! I have 2 thought provoking threads about the potential of smart contracts collecting dust. How many more r3kt threads do we have to suffer through? Angry

Challenge: build a smart contract C to release the drones d at time n if x number of r3kt threads have been created.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4488

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:26:59 AM

icebreaker will be sad when Riccardo Spagni (Monero) has to register for fincen and then icebreaker will need to pay licence fee's for his monero..

.. oh what the article is fud, .. icebreaker will be relieved

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: