Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:44:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC monitor  (Read 907 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:06:28 PM

what monitor (lcd 24+ inches) turns off and on the fastest

tired of seeing the stupid loading screen, waiting to recover from sleep...

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:17:00 PM

From sleep? Should be instant! ASUS / DELL were instant for me (well a sec tops)
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:37:16 PM

takes 3-4 seconds to turn on from off

'ASUS'

two different models

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:51:17 AM

LCD monitors should only take 1-2 seconds to turn on from being completely off, and almost instantly from standby.

Um, monitors don't have loading screens, though some display an error message if the monitor comes on before the computer does. If you're seeing any image on the monitor, the monitor is already on, and if that image isn't what you were expecting, the problem is with your computer, not the monitor.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 04:06:57 AM

You must be really busy or just really good with time management where 2-3 seconds is unexceptable because that time can be spent elsewhere.

So in response I wanted to post a list of what you could do in 3 seconds, and the funny thing is im so lazy I actually just googled it. And because my lazyness knows no boundries I settle for " 17 things you can do in 30 seconds" Because there was nothingfor a list of things you can do in 3 seconds. And I didnt want to think about it but here you go with the list.

•   Get an MA degree from the University of Tijuana.
•   Sing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. At least half of it.
•   Play hide and seek with an ADHD kid.
•   Send an error report to Microsoft.
•   Take a "30 seconds result" pregnancy test. Even if you are a man, actually, especially if you are a man, maybe the rocket won't be the most significant event of your day.
•   Cook "Minute Rice." (Warning: it will only be half cooked)
•   Watch the all-time highlights of Israel's national soccer team. Twice.
•   Quit smoking. Twice.
•   Hug the fattest guy around. Sharing is caring - especially if it's rocket shrapnel.
•   Go to the window and shout, "I'm sorry I didn't spend more time at the office". It's always nice to refute a cliché before you die.
•   Watch 1/120 of CBS's "60 minutes."
•   Swim 7 laps in an Olympic pool (only if you are Michael Phelps)
•   Change your profile picture on Facebook and then change it back.
•   Write a nasty comment about someone's piece on the Huffington Post without really reading the article.
•   Watch the most watched clip on "YouTube." (Only if you want to spend your last moments watching an angry squirrel turn his head)
•   Learn all the names of the moderate non-violent ministers in the Hamas government by heart - and you'll still have 29 seconds left.
•   Get in a big black plastic bag. It won't save your life but it'll make the work of the evacuation team much easier. It's to die considerate.
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:07:52 AM

LCD monitors should only take 1-2 seconds to turn on from being completely off, and almost instantly from standby.

Um, monitors don't have loading screens, though some display an error message if the monitor comes on before the computer does. If you're seeing any image on the monitor, the monitor is already on, and if that image isn't what you were expecting, the problem is with your computer, not the monitor.

its about halfway waiting for monitor to show anything, then it goes black and shows the real output

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:14:20 AM

its about halfway waiting for monitor to show anything, then it goes black and shows the real output
Huh What do you mean "it goes black"? Isn't it supposed to already be black if it's not showing anything? If not, what exactly is it showing? If it's showing an error message such as "No signal/Check connection", then your monitor is already on, and it's your computer that's taking a while to come out of sleep mode, and replacing the monitor won't help.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:24:49 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2013, 05:38:16 AM by 420

Huh What do you mean "it goes black"? Isn't it supposed to already be black if it's not showing anything? If not, what exactly is it showing? If it's showing an error message such as "No signal/Check connection", then your monitor is already on, and it's your computer that's taking a while to come out of sleep mode, and replacing the monitor won't help.

PC on and awake, monitor Off
push button
1.5 seconds
'ASUS, power and innovation'
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:25:34 AM

My current Samsung (SyncMasterP2450), and all the Acer's I've ever owned never did this.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:26:39 AM

My current Samsung (SyncMasterP2450), and all the Acer's I've ever owned never did this.

under windows 7?

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:36:03 AM

Off
push button
1.5 seconds
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen
Huh? You said you were putting your computer into sleep mode. Not turning anything off. Are you putting your computer into hibernation instead? Huge difference. It's normal to take several seconds to come out of hibernation, if that's what you're doing. If not, I really have no idea what you are doing. Huh

420 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:38:30 AM

push button
1.5 seconds
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen
Huh? You said you were putting your computer into sleep mode. Not turning anything off. Are you putting your computer into hibernation instead? Huge difference. It's normal to take several seconds to come out of hibernation, if that's what you're doing. If not, I really have no idea what you are doing. Huh

you can re-respond to my edited post

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:43:19 AM

dell 30" is annoyingly slow to wake up.

move the mouse and the little samsung 24" comes back instantly, then the dell takes forever to decide to show something.

in comparison, samsung 305T (30") was really fast... but they don't make them any more.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:03:15 AM

push button
1.5 seconds
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen
I've never seen any monitor do anything like that when turned off and on while it still has a video signal. Every monitor I've ever used just displays what it's supposed to immediately as soon it's turned on.

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 02:43:57 PM

under windows 7?
yup

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:54:33 PM

push button
1.5 seconds
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen
I've never seen any monitor do anything like that when turned off and on while it still has a video signal. Every monitor I've ever used just displays what it's supposed to immediately as soon it's turned on.

hmm do you have 2+ monitors on one video card? win7

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:37:50 PM

push button
1.5 seconds
2 seconds
black
1.5 seconds
normal OS screen
Well then, you've probably got exactly what he's looking for!  What brand/model are you using?  I've never seen any monitor display anything immediately after being turned on - all the ones I have used seem to take at least 2-3 seconds before they display a picture.

Personally, the Dell monitor I am currently using (a current model 23") stays black for 3 seconds after being turned on, then has the "source" information (DVI, etc) displayed over top of the actual video content for the next 3 seconds, which is moderately obnoxious.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 01:57:01 AM

One monitor, on Linux. Though that won't make any difference if the problem really is the monitor. If you're getting different behaviour with 2 monitors vs. 1 monitor, then it's your video card/driver doing something screwy as opposed to your monitor.

Well then, you've probably got exactly what he's looking for!  What brand/model are you using?  I've never seen any monitor display anything immediately after being turned on - all the ones I have used seem to take at least 2-3 seconds before they display a picture.
I mean, as soon as an image comes up (usually in 1-2 seconds), it's what it's supposed to be, with no stupid splash screens.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 05:46:45 PM

One monitor, on Linux. Though that won't make any difference if the problem really is the monitor. If you're getting different behaviour with 2 monitors vs. 1 monitor, then it's your video card/driver doing something screwy as opposed to your monitor.

I mean, as soon as an image comes up (usually in 1-2 seconds), it's what it's supposed to be, with no stupid splash screens.
Oh, I took immediately to mean immediately.  Wink

I think some of the older Dell monitors would show a splash screen as well, but yeah, that's garbage.  Who wants to wait extra for the company logo to disappear?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: