Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:51:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5830 stopped working!  (Read 1302 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:23:13 PM

It's a Sapphire -- in other words, one of the good ones.
I had it overclocked to 975/550 on stock voltage.
The thing never went over 74C -- it was the only card in the case, etc.

It seemed to be stable for almost a day -- but now, even though I uninstalled MSI Afterburner, every time I boot up windows it gives me a solid grey screen.

I made sure that MSI Afterburner was totally gone (via Safe Mode) but somehow either Windows is still setting the card to the old settings, the card is retaining the settings, or the card is fried.

How can I get my rig working again?

It seems to work in Ubuntu -- but then again, it works in Windows, too, in safe mode -- as well as at the Login prompt. As soon as I hit <ENTER> to log in, and everything loads the rest of the way, the screen goes grey and I have to do a hard reboot.

I'm running Windows XP and I installed Catalyst 11.5 -- ALL 4 sections, including the Catalyst manager.
I tried to uninstall Catalyst from safe mode, but couldn't.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matthew

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jrussell

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:31:51 PM

Doesnt sound like the card is broken, does your motherboard have a vga or dvi out? If it does, try unplug the card, plug the moniter into a motherboard output and then completely remove all the drivers and tools from ATI if the vga or dvi out works, I think there is a tool that can do that for you, youl have to do a bit of googeling.

also try hitting "f8" just before the bios finnishes loading an a Windows menu should appear and then select "Last know good confiquration" or something like that.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:34:57 PM

try removing and reinstalling drivers
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:37:52 PM

What's the best/easiest way to remove the drivers?

I tried to uninstall them in safe mode, but couldn't.

I was thinking uninstall/re-install might be best as well.
hardly

Activity: 124
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:40:57 PM

driver sweeper, run it in safe mode and get rid of anything ATI/AMD related and then install your freshly downloaded drivers.
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:57:10 PM

74c in the core or in the shaders? Shaders are usually 5-10C hotter than what Afterburner will show you.

If so.. then the shaders were likely at 85C for an extended period of time.

I had a Sapphire 5830 die the same way, clocks stuck even after full re-installation of the OS and would freeze at regular boot, eventually it failed completely.

The fan died while I was out. Had to get a refund from the place I purchased.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:00:13 PM

Extended period of time was just 1 1/2 days.

The fan still seems to be working --

And is 84C on the shaders that bad?  I thought they were good up to 90C?
LegitBit

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:14:51 PM

Extended period of time was just 1 1/2 days.

The fan still seems to be working --

And is 84C on the shaders that bad?  I thought they were good up to 90C?

Its not wise, doesn't necessarily mean it will fail, but the closer to the limit the closer to failure.

Would you walk along the side of a cliff for 1.5 days because normally you can do that without falling?

I would suggest sending it back to wherever you got it if uninstalling doesn't work.
I sent mine back to newegg asking for a replacement, they sent a full refund instead.

When you get a new card, use a more informative tool like HWINFO to view full temp stats about the card.

Down near 52.. the shaders show up as 55. That gap gets larger the hotter the gpu. Afterburner will only show the 52.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html

AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:39:34 PM

The card is working again --

I uninstalled everything with DriverSweep, then re-installed ATI drivers *WITHOUT* Catalyst Control Center.

I'm not going to overclock at all this time -- stock GPU/stock memory/stock voltage getting a nice 240 MH/s on Phoenix -phatk

But hopefully I'll save myself the headache -- it might be worth the extra 50 MH/s!

Matthew
LegitBit

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:44:00 PM

The card is working again --

I uninstalled everything with DriverSweep, then re-installed ATI drivers *WITHOUT* Catalyst Control Center.

I'm not going to overclock at all this time -- stock GPU/stock memory/stock voltage getting a nice 240 MH/s on Phoenix -phatk

But hopefully I'll save myself the headache -- it might be worth the extra 50 MH/s!

Matthew

Glad to hear it is working now, just keep the temps down. You should be able to have CCC installed as I do on all my cards systems.

You may still want to consider returning it if you are within the warrantee period and it still exhibits issues, don't want it dying on you later.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: