Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:20:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restore Offline Bitcoins from Watching Wallet?  (Read 642 times)
edjanx (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:32:19 PM

My cold storage PC is an old Dell Inspiron 4500, running Kubuntu 13 on a secondary drive, with the primary drive containing Windows XP which is no longer used. It was unplugged and sitting idle for over two years, but a few weeks ago I wanted to access a bitcoin from storage since there are more retailers that now accept Bitcoin. So I installed Armory on my new Windows 10 PC to use with the Watching Wallet I exported from Kubuntu.  I successfully imported the wallet, then as I waited for the blockchain to download, I foolishly decided to update the cold storage machine to Kubuntu to 14.04.

I have spent the last two weeks trying to get around an encryption component adding in the upgrade that made my host system unaccessible. I tried several remedies, but I have no way to access the cold storage wallet. I was foolish not to make a fresh backup beforehand, as the paper backup I originally made a few years ago is nowhere to be found, and the digital backup I made was on a USB stick that my daughter found and overwrote. In this process, I was also surprised to learn the sad news that Armory is "at the end if its road", so am I totaly out of luck, or can the Watching Wallet somehow be used to retrieve them into a new Wallet solution?

Thanks!
Janx
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

It's sadly impossible to get anything from a watch-only address/wallet , I'm afraid that you lost your coins .
You still can try to use some recovery programs to recover your digital backup from USB drive though .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████