Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:53:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone considered a decentralized social network?  (Read 883 times)
J180 (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:19:52 AM

One of the problems with creating an alternative to facebook, without ads and tracking, is that even if you do manage to get the market to move then it creates a huge incentive to introduce ads and tracking, just as facebook did after it gained the market from myspace.

What if there was a peer-to-peer social network instead? Public messages are submitted to it signed with my private key, restricted messages and events are signed with the private keys of the receivers too. Websites which access this stuff for you would be for ease of use, reflecting whats on the network rather than controlling it directly, so any website which imposes too high a cost (such as ads or snoping) will be outed by competition. Competition in websites and clients would also drive innovations in usability, and towards whoever is willing to host data for the minimum cost.

You might guess from my vague wording that I do not have any technical expertise and I have not thought about it much further, that's why I'm asking you guys.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 07:21:15 AM

https://tent.io/
Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:28:44 AM

A lot of these sites already exist. You could even do that with this site, all you'd have to do is add a few features. There's not really any incentive or else it'd already be created, I don't think very many people need that much security when sending messages, and the people that do usually aren't interested in that type of thing.

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
J180 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:31:35 AM

I don't think very many people need that much security when sending messages

The idea isn't about security. It's a method of creating a facebook alternative which isn't going to grow an incentive to be full of ads and tracking once the userbase moves.
J180 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:32:18 AM

Really interesting, I look forward to seeing how that and other sites develop.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:35:37 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2013, 05:21:30 PM by rudrigorc2

I don't think very many people need that much security when sending messages

The idea isn't about security. It's a method of creating a facebook alternative which isn't going to grow an incentive to be full of ads and tracking once the userbase moves.

Suppose I need send secure messages  in a easy straighforward way. A forum just to schedule meetings and some private info, for example.
Is there any --very easy-- usable non instant message project out there?
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Yeah its about time. 

Now that people call programs "apps" and think they are cool to download and run instead of doing everything in a browser, it could take off.

Also take a look at Diaspora. 
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:10:54 AM

Yep, Diaspora is cool.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 05:47:58 PM

Diaspora is nice yup, but more like a distributed tumblr or twitter on steroids.

Friendica is more like a social network, tons of features, also can integrate with facebook and lots of other networks, but its UI is a bit confusing, despite (or because of) lots of themes available.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: