Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:52:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 300 x S7 Antminers, 2 years ROI, 2 years=out of date hardware - worth it?  (Read 831 times)
Vociferous (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:13:57 PM

Hey guys,

So for example:

Initial investment £206,400 = 300 x S7 miners  = 1419 TH/S = £19918 per month (pm)

£19918 pm - £12214 (bills/rent/broadband pm) = £7704 pm.

SO WITH A £206,400 INVESTMENT, IT STILL TAKES 2.3 YEARS TO GET ROI.

During the 2 years your hardware becomes out of date and you've only broke even, with no profit, then you have to buy new hardware. SO WHAT IS THE POINT? Am I missing something? Perhaps it's only worth it if you invest millions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:26:55 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2016, 09:58:48 AM by Amph

with that amount of hash i would have tried to go with solo, because in the past it was like doing 20 btc daily with the old diff

even now it is 1/5 of a block, so it should be quite easy to find a block, anyway you can sell your asic if they are not profitable anymore, this is a common strategy to reach roi faster

you mine only for half the roi time and then sell, you should have break even plus some profit
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:35:50 AM

You can also mine other coins instead of Bitcoin. For example Peercoin.
After halving I suggest to all miners with electricity at 0.08$/kWh or above to start mining other coins with SHA-256 algo. Bitcoin mining will become unprofitable for miners with bad electricity rate. ( Maybe and maybe not. Bitcoin price can skyrocket back to 1k$ after halving.. )

You also gather namecoins if you are on a pool that allows merge mining. Which boosts the income slightly.

In general, I would avoid mining nowadays. It is insanely difficult and risky to make ROI and even if you make it, you are not making a lot of money anymore. Would you risk 200k to make a 10k in 2 years? Doesn't really sound like a good business plan to me unfortunately.

Selling the hardware may help you get into profits faster, but it will still not get your rich.
Vociferous (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:15:20 AM

with that amount of hash i would have tried to go weith solo, because in the past it was like doing 20 btc daily with the old diff

even now it is 1/5 of a block, so it should be quite easy to find a block, anyway you cna sell your asic if they are not profitable anymore, this is a common strategy to reach roi faster

you mine only for half the roi time and then sell, you should have break even plus some profit

Hey,

That's a good point. How does solo mining work? Does the difficulty increase? The probability of solving a block are slim?

Thanks
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 10:03:22 AM

with that amount of hash i would have tried to go weith solo, because in the past it was like doing 20 btc daily with the old diff

even now it is 1/5 of a block, so it should be quite easy to find a block, anyway you cna sell your asic if they are not profitable anymore, this is a common strategy to reach roi faster

Hey,

That's a good point. How does solo mining work? Does the difficulty increase? The probability of solving a block are slim?

Thanks

you need patience when mining in solo, i've never found a block on bitcoin in solo, but i've found plenty with altcoin

usually you will find a block when your diff rise above the threshold(best share is called, i think) you can see that on cgminer or whatever software you're using
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 10:19:55 AM

Hey guys,

So for example:

Initial investment £206,400 = 300 x S7 miners  = 1419 TH/S = £19918 per month (pm)

During the 2 years your hardware becomes out of date and you've only broke even, with no profit, then you have to buy new hardware. SO WHAT IS THE POINT? Am I missing something? Perhaps it's only worth it if you invest millions?

You can shorten a period of using miners to 1 Year. Then you can try to sell your Miners to improve your figures. It`s not easy, but can be achieved. The problem could be a number of Miners right.
Vociferous (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 12:28:28 PM

Hey guys,

So for example:

You can shorten a period of using miners to 1 Year. Then you can try to sell your Miners to improve your figures. It`s not easy, but can be achieved. The problem could be a number of Miners right.

I think I am going to wait for new miners using the 16 nm chips and then invest. I wonder if someone with an electronic enegineering background could build their own miner using the chips!
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:07:19 PM

Hey guys,

So for example:

Minning is a bad invest for small users, it can be profitable for big groups that can buy the newest minners before us. Companies have low electricity rates. In my opinion a roi of 2 years in bitcoin minning hardward its a very bad investment.
Pitchblackroom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 03:09:17 PM

2 years has such a long risk time factor that your hardware can have failure rates. Honestly I think it will depreciate more before your term ends making it unprofitable.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 03:56:16 PM

If you're producing your power you'll do just fine.

You're going to have to live near a waterfall.
Vociferous (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 05:22:03 PM

Aahahah that would be awesome! I have heard of solar panel mines though, which I thought was quite interesting. An electrical engineer did one on Youtube. I suppose the nearest country to me with a lot of sunshine is probably Spain. But I think big loses would be had during winter.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:36:54 AM

Aahahah that would be awesome! I have heard of solar panel mines though, which I thought was quite interesting. An electrical engineer did one on Youtube. I suppose the nearest country to me with a lot of sunshine is probably Spain. But I think big loses would be had during winter.

For solar panels to be profitable, and at current technology and price, it will take at least 5-8 years. This depends on which local electricity cost you are comparing to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: