Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:13:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is current monero's rise legit or just a pump and dump thing?  (Read 3300 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:18:54 PM

AS stated previously, Monero is not an alt-coin.

It offers something very different than what Bitcoin currently offers users.

I think ICE said it...it should be a comp-coin.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 06:20:53 PM

Monero is a dead coin.  Someone decided to throw a few satoshis and pump and dump it. 

a few satoshis is not 2000-3000 BTC. lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:15:01 PM

The devs running this coin should go to jail for defrauding investors, fooling them into buying into an orchestrated pump.

They've paid some Poloniex day traders few k to fool around with the coin.

From a coin with a shitty daily volume of 20-30k/day USD few weeks ago it grew to 800k volume. Give me a break.

█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 09:43:12 PM

I haven't been on BTC for two years, and the last time I was on here I was vouching for NEO&BEE. I just came out hiding to protect everyone from the evil Monerians--BUY DASH! (please)

It's like you didn't even know what you meant to say.  Wink

Herp

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:51:25 PM

I'm a moron talking trash.

Fair warning. Dump the turd now or weep tomorrow. Your choice.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:52:45 PM

I don't think privacy is something to be celebrated in terms of currency, that's why you see so many scammers and hacks in Bitcoin. Exchanges keep running away with their money, etc. Privacy is a delicate issue and 100% is something utopic, you may feel that you don't like being filmed in public spaces but you just have to put up with it, no other way around it. With money it's different, business must be regulated and we as civilians living under government still need to play under certain rules. I'm all for financial sensible information not leaking out if you don't want to, but if every transaction can't be traced then you are giving criminals a great tool. Decentralized and P2P currency is great, completely anonymous not so sure...
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:54:45 PM

I don't think privacy is something to be celebrated in terms of currency, that's why you see so many scammers and hacks in Bitcoin. Exchanges keep running away with their money, etc. Privacy is a delicate issue and 100% is something utopic, you may feel that you don't like being filmed in public spaces but you just have to put up with it, no other way around it. With money it's different, business must be regulated and we as civilians living under government still need to play under certain rules. I'm all for financial sensible information not leaking out if you don't want to, but if every transaction can't be traced then you are giving criminals a great tool. Decentralized and P2P currency is great, completely anonymous not so sure...

Please post .png images of your last three months of bank statements. 

Don't worry, I'll wait. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:14:38 PM

Don't worry, I'll wait. 

No. Do you have access to that? What's your point? Privacy is not black and white, we live in a society. So there are many privacy issues that are not addressed but we tolerate them. Like airports, taxes, id, contracts, etc, to a certain extent of course. How much money you have in your bank and in your bank account is private but it could be investigated if needed and that for me is perfectly fine. Actually having a public blockchain like Bitcoin used for government expenses where you can see how much tax payers money they have on each account is a great idea for example so privacy is a tool that can be used to our benefit. I don't see any benefit with total and complete financial privacy where you don't know where money comes and goes.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:47:48 PM

Don't worry, I'll wait. 

No. Do you have access to that? What's your point? Privacy is not black and white, we live in a society. So there are many privacy issues that are not addressed but we tolerate them. Like airports, taxes, id, contracts, etc, to a certain extent of course. How much money you have in your bank and in your bank account is private but it could be investigated if needed and that for me is perfectly fine. Actually having a public blockchain like Bitcoin used for government expenses where you can see how much tax payers money they have on each account is a great idea for example so privacy is a tool that can be used to our benefit. I don't see any benefit with total and complete financial privacy where you don't know where money comes and goes.

Yes having a public blockchain for the government that is spending our money could well be a good way of holding them accountable.

As far as individuals not so much.  You should know that Monero is private by default but you have the option to show to those you chose balances or transactions.  I find this much better than it being public by default. 
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:53:46 PM

Monero has been undervalued for a lot of time. Its just finding its real value now which i think should be a bare minimum $4

Even if you dont value privacy and are not interested in Monero, the technology is beautiful and the project is far from a pump and dump

It is interesting to see theymos show some support for monero.

The only problem with his view is he really thinks that other technologies can be added to bitcoin is just a pipe dream. Block size change can't even get put into bit coin let alone an entire code section (pages and pages) of new code.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:55:33 PM

I'm a moron talking trash.

Fair warning. Dump the turd now or weep tomorrow. Your choice.

lol as if any of us who have half a brain (at least) would get financial advice online from a user named "HERP" lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:56:52 PM

Don't worry, I'll wait.  

What you miss imo is that you reason in terms of the fiat system and apply it to crypto.

With the fiat system, we have somewhat this middle-spot of private for your neighbours, but transparent for law enforcement in case required. Not everybody is cool with that, but most people I'd say are ok with it (mostly because we've been living with that forever in our lives - except for physical cash).
The flaw then is to apply it to cryptocurrencies and claim it's ok to stop at this middle-spot. However the difference is that there is no privacy with respect to your neighbours, there is no distinction about who is law enforcement or not: anybody on the planet is the law enforcement and can trace your activity.
I hope you'll see the difference here, having mobs pointing fingers on the internet is the last thing you want and certainly has nothing to do with the selective transparency you're used to with fiat money on bank accounts in today's society.

Above point is important, but not as big as: fungibility. Direct consequence of privacy features. Fiat money's fungibility is ensured by law since centuries since this famous case. In crypto there is no law other than what you can technically do or not. If people can know the history of some outputs, with complete certainty or just reasonable suspicions, then fungibility is broken. In legacy system, you are not liable for accepting a bank note that was involved in a bank robbed few "hops" before you, this is ensured by law. Because you have no way to know. With traceable crypto, if it's possible for you to know that easily, human law will make you liable for accepting it.

I have been arguing with people on privacy and especially fungibility matters since several years. I was very early on facing that issue as I founded a gambling site (luckyb.it), and not everyone is ok with accepting coins linkable to that sort of activity. And I've seen the same arguments repeated over and over: "Bitcoin is not completely private, but it happens to be just the sweet spot we need! It is by far private enough for most activities!"
I find that very delusional, you really need to take a step back and look at it with fresh eyes.
Practical example of the constant delusion is the changing message. First it was a firm "Bitcoin is all good and private enough as it is!", and anybody claiming otherwise was deemed a troll or probably shilling for a shitty altcoin. Then it was a convinced "Bitcoin with some mixers is all ok! And guys, coinjoin! Coin-join!", and historical evidence of such delusional bias quickly dismissed. Lately, the trend is to rely on "confidential transaction". (Funny to witness people screaming that all around, the sames who previously were convinced a mixer was all good - makes you wonder how many do understand what they're talking about).

Actually having a public blockchain like Bitcoin used for government expenses where you can see how much tax payers money they have on each account is a great idea for example so privacy is a tool that can be used to our benefit.

All I wrote above is about people explicitly *not* wanting their stuff to be public, in which case Bitcoin simply does a terrible job.
But I completely agree with you on the benefice of transparency in some cases, in particular for storing and using money donnated, whether to a NGO or a governement.
That is why in Monero you have view keys, that do precisely that. It's up to an address owner to give the view key to anyone he wants.
The difference?
Monero does privacy by default (cryptographically), transparency on demand.
Bitcoin does transparency by default, privacy (through apparatus on top of it) on demand.

EDIT: typos

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:57:33 PM

Ahh, so you're ok with 'authorities' having access to break individual privacy, but don't believe we have the right to break each other's privacy?  Who decides who the authorities are?  

If you want Bitcoin to be used for all government accounting, then lobby for that.  But don't deny the individual their privacy for the sake of your own agenda.  That makes you no better than people who think homosexuality is gross -> so they believe all homosexuals should be killed.  

I want privacy.  Millions, nay, BILLIONS want privacy.  It is our human right and need to have privacy, and fuck you or anyone else who thinks that right should be taken away.  We need the right to free speech, property, and yes - privacy to function as a peaceful and ideal society.  Or perhaps you have just been brainwashed for too many years into believing that bad guys are everywhere, lurking around every bush... and if you would only give up MORE of your rights and freedoms to the all-knowing, all-seeing, iron fist of the powers that be then finally you will be safe.  

But real life doesn't work that way.  Power corrupts, and if you give power to break privacy to fallible humans they will abuse it 10 times out of 10.  That perfect moral authority you wish existed so you could surrender your weak little soul to it and be safe, comfortable, and happy?  That was your mother's womb and it no longer exists.  You're in the real world now, and every intelligence is a kingdom unto themselves.  Let NO MAN abridge our natural rights and freedoms.  

LET NO MAN accuse us of a crime we have not committed and execute an unjust restriction on our freedoms!  You don't want privacy?  Then fine, post your bank account and inner most details of your life on the internet, but I HAVE COMMITTED NO CRIME and have borne you no ill will, sir.  DO NOT attempt to take away my right to free speech, and my right to privacy away so you can feel a little safer in your blanket at night.  
IT IS ENOUGH!  

We must defend our rights as citizens.  Rights guaranteed by every moral scruple in our fibers, rights derived in almost every religion and faith, and rights that are by every test FAIR AND JUST.  

God himself gave Adam and Eve the clothes to cover their naked bodies and now you would presume to take them away!?  Who the fuck do you think you are!?  

We will have privacy, and we will have rights.  Humans have certain inalienable rights, and privacy is one of those!  And no one better try to take it away from us free and functioning adults:  PRIVACY IS FREEDOM.  FREEDOM IS PRIVACY.  MONERO IS FREEDOM.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 11:58:36 PM

Wrong, it is called an innate human right (privacy).

If I don't want to be filmed I'll just wear a hat and sunglasses to cover up. Better yet if I don't want to have a bank asking me a million questions about my money I just won't use a bank.

Same goes for other things like using fiat crap paper.

The way around it is exercising your choice and making good choices.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 04:58:17 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2016, 05:20:59 AM by aminorex

It is easy to take a triumphalist tone during the rips.  The real reward comes to those who can keep that flame burning through the dips.  In fact, I believe we are much, much nearer the bottom than the top, even now.

There really is, even now, almost two full years into the game, nothing real and present which can compare to the excellent qualities of XMR as digital currency, pure and simple.  Many innovative cryptocoins have introduced interesting technologies and economic models, but all of those features actually damage their ability to be used as currency.  Those that come closest in features fail in various and diverse ways such that their distant miniscule liquidity is a profound and persistent handicap.

I have always said that if a superior currency were to emerge, I would change my allegiance as circumstances dictated.  I see less and less likelihood of such an eventuality with each passing million USD of liquidity added to XMR.  No, this is not a pump and dump.  It is one tiny step, with leaps and bounds yet to come, and every inch of the way is hard fought, and every victory well-earned -- some paid for dearly. It is earned primarily by excellence in technology, and secured by honest and transparent dealings.

There are at least 20 trillions of USD in wealth held privately, away from prying eyes, extortionists, thieves, and kidnappers, which currently rely on very illiquid instruments, and some significant proportion of those trillions will need to pass through the eye of our little needle at some point.  I believe that our tiny trickle will be compelled to grow into a mighty torrent of liquidity, through many disruptive stages over several years.  And it has not begun but one ten thousandth of the way yet.

XMR technology continues a long methodical and responsible march towards a balance of those specific features required to function as an international fully distributed private currency, without counterparty risk, without vulnerability to the dictat of a central authority.  The management of such an enterprise is frought with pitfalls, as nearly every cryptocoins project has demonstrated. Yet the meritocratic grass-roots development regime of XMR has avoided these traps nimbly, with a lot of hard work, motivated by a vision of positive social value and of just and worthy personal reward deriving from that honest added value.  

I am encouraged and energized to be a small part of such an economy, and grateful for the opportunity to participate in some small way in the project of making the world a freer, safer, more just place for generations to come.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 1206

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2016, 05:55:11 AM

It is a paradigm shift.
People are used to cheap Moneros but it looks like they need to say a farewell to Moneros under 2000 usd/xmr.

This.

Monero will not always remain that cool but cheap coin, the stealth phase has now passed and it is entering the awareness phase

I totally agree with you,I have read a lot of articles about monero and it was way back 2015 and it is just now 2016 that they are making aware the best quality of monero this is the coin to watch this 2016 so get more of it today ..

owm123 (OP)

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:15:18 AM

So I think we have our answer: Major pump and dump, based on what happened today on Polo.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:50:49 AM

So I think we have our answer: Major pump and dump, based on what happened today on Polo.

It is at .8 cents now, nothing major. You are incorrectly calling variations a dump. People who have followed stock markets might be laughing at you
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 6416

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:54:37 AM

Monero was (and still is) badly under valuated.
Some (very nice!) new development happened there, a new version also came out lately.

Those are all good ingredients for the price to rise.
However, it's also something the seasoned speculators can use for a pump and dump.

I think that's still to early to say what actually happens on the market.

█████████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
█████████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:35:42 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2016, 01:04:33 AM by yefi

The filming, facial recognition, location tracking, behavioural analysis. In the future, our cities will buzz with drones that will police the streets. Let's hope whoever possess the private keys to the machines chooses to use them wisely, and not throw the switch that turns their dissenters into criminals.

People throw away their privacy and hand it to centralized systems in the faint belief that democracy will prevail. What will actually prevail, I fear, is the force within us humans that has prevailed for millennia...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: