Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:11:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum password in memdump?  (Read 617 times)
ArpFlush (OP)

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:14:45 PM

Hello, I was wondering if one could find my password in a memdump of my machine  Huh

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6165

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:20:17 PM

Hello, I was wondering if one could find my password in a memdump of my machine  Huh

If you forgot your password then you can restore your wallet using the seed that you got once you setup the wallet .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ArpFlush (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:24:05 PM

If you forgot your password then you can restore your wallet using the seed that you got once you setup the wallet .

I'm just asking for security reasons  Wink

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 02:50:32 PM

Yep they probably could if they took it while you are sending bitcoins. In the process you would have to enter your password and for a while that would be in memory. Electrum uses python so it doesn't have the low level hardware access that say bitcoin core does. Core can scrub the memory after its done while electrum probably can't. It has to rely on the OS to do that.
ArpFlush (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 02:55:56 PM

Yep they probably could if they took it while you are sending bitcoins. In the process you would have to enter your password and for a while that would be in memory. Electrum uses python so it doesn't have the low level hardware access that say bitcoin core does. Core can scrub the memory after its done while electrum probably can't. It has to rely on the OS to do that.
ic, well meanwhile I'm testing it but with an empty test wallet. I did have to enter my password to export the private keys so normally it might be in the memdump (the password). However, I didn't find it (yet).

DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 09:49:17 PM

If the timing is correct. It's stored on a call stack in a virtual allocation and taken out by a UI thread..

Feel free to verify with ollydbg, windbg, or gdb..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: