Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:43:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Idea] Turn Ron Paul Meetups into Bitcoin Communities  (Read 812 times)
Coinster (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:55:06 PM

So it's obvious that Bitcoin and the ideas of liberty, especially pertaining to the economic freedom to use commodity money (like gold/silver) that Ron Paul advises are a perfect fit. The problem is there is a gap separating Bitcoin from Ron Paul and the millions that now support him nationwide (even worldwide).

Bitcoin is in a very early stage of adoption, but that's no excuse for it not to be applied to this demographic. Ron Paul meetups were very popular with almost 90,000 participants nationwide over 360 cities. Many are still active. It probably only takes sending messages out to rebuild interest if there were something worthwhile with the election over.

Of course local economic exchange would boost Bitcoin dramatically! It would change coin demand from speculation to actual need. Supporting local economic exchange is one reason Coinster was started. Anyone (worldwide) can add any item and people can use location based search to find it. Would you repair cars for bitcoins? Computers? Give haircuts? Bake bread? These and many more things are very valuable goods and services people can buy from one another locally.

Greeks are doing successfully using computer based bartering systems without the Euro.

Such local systems do work, and liberty minded people seem eager to participate. Bernard von NotHaus created Liberty Dollar which started to do well for local economic exchange, including in North Carolina. Apparently there were about 250,000 holders of Liberty Dollar certificates. That was before the feds raided Liberty Dollar offices and charged the creator with "making and selling coins in resemblance and similitude of [U.S. coins]". Of course, none of that can happen with Bitcoin...

So I suggest we make a push to target Ron Paul meetups. Maybe spend a little time each day at http://ronpaul.meetup.com suggesting getting together to discuss using this amazing alternative currency!
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 11:46:09 PM

It would be easy to pay the $30/year subscription for meetups that are losing their subscriptions. You get an instant e-mail list of a bunch of liberty supporting folks.

I am a member of my local Ron Paul meetup. They mainly just send out e-mails now about every other thing that the government is doing wrong.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Coinster (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 07:35:29 PM

It would be easy to pay the $30/year subscription for meetups that are losing their subscriptions. You get an instant e-mail list of a bunch of liberty supporting folks.

I am a member of my local Ron Paul meetup. They mainly just send out e-mails now about every other thing that the government is doing wrong.

Interesting... liberty supporting folks could be receptive to bitcoin, and if they joined a meetup they are likely to be open to proactive ideas.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

I think Liberal Democrats would also be quite keen on such a system. The middle and lower classes are after all- the victims of an overbearing banking system and usury at the hands of credit cards that lobby governments to enforce laws and systems which require the payment via credit card system, thus siphoning the wealth of the middle and lower classes into the coffers of the banking complex.

more or less retired.
Coinster (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 07:55:59 PM

I think Liberal Democrats would also be quite keen on such a system. The middle and lower classes are after all- the victims of an overbearing banking system and usury at the hands of credit cards that lobby governments to enforce laws and systems which require the payment via credit card system, thus siphoning the wealth of the middle and lower classes into the coffers of the banking complex.

Very good point. I agree. That's why I'm optimistic about local bitcoin economic exchange. The advantages can be seen by most anyone. I think that's why Liberty Dollar had such success.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: